• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

xpuser V IF

xpuser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have sent of my prelim letter today! ;)

This is my first time in reclaiming my illegal bank charges. Hope you guys will lend a hand where need. I am very fairly apprehensive about this whole thing. Still cant believe the banks have been acting illegally all these years:-x

Well its time for us consumers to strike back, and get back the money they have taken from us all..."power to the people"

IF Current A/C won

MBNA A/C 1 Settled in full

MBNA A/C 2 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Settled in full

Lloyds TSB CC - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

Citicard S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

Hi Xpuser,

Still quite new to this but will help in any way i can.

The best bit of advice that i can give is Read, Read and then read some more, it will let you know what you might come up against.

Although, reading about some of the other banks I.F. seem to be one of the better ones at paying. (i hope i haven't just put my foot in it as i have not got anything back yet!)

Laddie18

• Haha 1

I am claiming against IF as well. One claim for the bank account and one for the credit card. Can I deal with both of these at the same time i.e. one S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), 1 prelim letter, 1 LBA. Or do I need to treat it as two separate accounts i.e. two SARs, 2 prelim letters, 2 LBA letters?

Also I am planning on claiming contractual interest. I have been to the IF web site, and they say their unauthorised borrowing rate is 25.25% EAR. Is the EAR rate the same as the APR rate? If not how do I convert between the two?

Thanks for any help.

IF Current A/C won

ok after some hunting I have found the answer to the EAR to APR question. For all of you who may need help with this the formulas are

Converting EAR to APR use

APR = ((EAR + 1) ^ (1 / m) - 1) x m, where m = months

Converting from APR to EAR use

EAR = ((1 + (APR / m)) ^ m) -1, where m = months

Hence for my example where the EAR is 25.25% use

APR = ((0.2525+1)^(1/12) - 1) x 12

APR = ((1.2525 ^ 0.8333) - 1) x 12

APR = 0.01894 x 12

APR = 0.2272 i.e. 22.72%

Going the other way from APR to EAR

EAR = ((1 + (0.2272 / 12)) ^ 12) - 1

EAR = (1.01893 ^ 12) - 1

EAR = 1.2524 - 1

EAR = 0.2524 i.e. 25.24% rounding would account for not getting exactly 25.25%

IF Current A/C won

Have re-sent my prelim letter...have decided to split my claim up, one for current account and one for credit card. This is mainly due to the fact that I have all my statements for my current account, and I dont for my credit card. I will send of a SAR for the credit card statements of very soon.

IF Current A/C won

According tho the royal mail web site, mt letter was delivered on the 15/06/07. So will wait and see what happens...

IF Current A/C won

Thanks guys for the support. Hopefully it will go through smoothly, without too many hiccups.

IF Current A/C won

Quick update, I have recieved a letter from IF today, they say that my "issue" will be investigated by a service quality consultant. They will let me know their findings.

IF Current A/C won

Quick update, I have recieved a letter from IF today, they say that my "issue" will be investigated by a service quality consultant. They will let me know their findings.

HI, Typical standard letter, just stick to you time lines ok, and not theirs...............

Will not be too much longer before you get your money back :D

I have received an offer letter from IF today. They have offered me 50% of my claim. I will of course not accept this. However there are a couple of points that I have noticed, they state in their letter "...confirms a charge total of £1,008.00." The actual amount I asked for was £1257.02 (£928 charges and £329.02 contractual interest). There is a difference of £257 odd between what I asked for and what they think I am owed.

Why would they think they owe me less than what I asked for? I have sent them a full breakdown of the charges and interest. Is this another tactic by them to give me less than what I am owed, or have I made a mistake somewhere? I have gone over the figures, and triple checked them, they do seem correct.

There figure does seem closer (although not exact, a £2 difference) to the amount I would be owed if I was claiming the standard 8% interest, however I am claiming contractual interest at 25.25%.

Anyway I am going to accept their offer as partial payment, and not a full and final settlement. I will re-iterate to them the amount they owe is £1257.02 and not £1008.00 they think.

When I send the LBA (on Monday), I take it I can then add on any charges they have charged me since sending the prelim letter?

Thanks for any replies.

IF Current A/C won

Hi Xpuser,

I believe you can keep adding on the charges until you are paid out - but if you get to the court stage which i hope you don't, it costs you to amend the amount for which you are claiming.

I actually worked my charges out to less than what IF paid me (only £28 but worthwhile having nonetheless!)

John

Thanks for the speedy reply Laddie18. Will add on the additional charge and interest in my LBA and the rejection letter.

IF Current A/C won

I was under the impression you only added on interest if they took you to court, and then at 8%. I didn't realise you could add it on any earlier.:o

Still, that's neither here nor there as, like Laddie18, they eventually agreed to pay me more than I originally asked for.:)

The time between my 50% offer rejection letter, and their full final offer was less than a week.

Codeycat.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats."

Albert Schweitzer

I was under the impression you only added on interest if they took you to court, and then at 8%. I didn't realise you could add it on any earlier.:o

Still, that's neither here nor there as, like Laddie18, they eventually agreed to pay me more than I originally asked for.:)

The time between my 50% offer rejection letter, and their full final offer was less than a week.

Codeycat.

You are correct Codeycat, if you are not claiming contractual interest. If your claiming the 8%, you have to wait until you have gone to court. With contractual interest, you have to let them know up front that you are going to claim the interest, and the amount. I believ they have to pay the contractual interest, even if you do not get to court. Hopefully somebody with more knowlwedge out there will confirm this.

IF Current A/C won

Yes 8% at court time.

How's it going Xpuser?

HI moneyhelp...I have been extremly busy over the last week. So my LBA is overdue by about a week. I have not heard anything from IF, since I sent my rejection letter. I will hopefully sending of my LBA in the next day or two.

IF Current A/C won

I have received a letter from IF, offering me a 100% settlement :D:D:D:D

Wont get too excited until the money is in my account...but looks like IF are setteling :)

IF Current A/C won

• 2 weeks later...

Yippeeee....got the money in my account today. :D:D:D:D

Thanks to all that have helped me. I have to say Halifax, do seem to be the best of all the banks. I am also claiming from LloydsTSB, and they are no where near as good as Halifax.

Got a total of £1008 back.

IF Current A/C won

Yippeeee....got the money in my account today. :D:D:D:D

Thanks to all that have helped me. I have to say Halifax, do seem to be the best of all the banks. I am also claiming from Lloyds TSB, and they are no where near as good as Halifax.

Got a total of £1008 back.

Good news.........................Well Done!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!:p