• Tweets

• My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
    • First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
    • Pasco has recalled 104,000 packs of sliced bread after rat remains were found in at least two packs.View the full article
    • UPDATE I went rooting through an old box of paperwork I have and I've found the original Default Notice. It is dated **/**/201*, however.. The copy of the Default Notice that they sent with the LBC has a completely different date on it 😮 Can they issue 2 default notices for the same debt? Where they have changed the date on the copy, they have also changed the amount owed through failed payments and how much is required to be paid by a certain date. In addition, they sent (with the 1st LBC) a copy of the termination of the agreement, which I cannot find the original. However, the termination date is 3 days after the date given on the (doctored) Default Notice, by which monies are to be paid by. So, they gave until the 'x' date to pay the arrears, then terminated the agreement 3 days later. I bet a dollar to a dime they've doctored the termination date also.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hulme v Halifax- advise required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a read through of this...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html?garpg=13)

It has all the information you need.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

thanks sea side lady , i had previously read the infor you sent and know how to obtain a warrant . What i was wondering is do any of the more educated of the CAG'ers now how the banks can apply for a stay after a judgement has been passed and on what grounds . surley if the wanted to apply for a stay they should have issued a defence then applied . They seem to want it both ways and have no regard for the timescales set out by the Law courts themselves .

• 5 weeks later...

Judgement received 1st August , warrant of execution instructed on the 8th August.

Today I find a bundle on my door step.

In the bundle comes a N244 application form submitted from the Halifax

stating: intend to apply for an order that

(1) the judgement entered in default against defendant on 1st August be set aside pursuant to CPR part 13.3(1)

(2) enforecemnt of the said judgement be stayed pending the hearing of this application.

They have also stated at the top of the form they wish the application to be heard without a hearing ???

but this is not agreed by both parties.

Then there is a notice of transfer to my local count court.

Im at a loss to what i do next , there are no dates on any of the forms as when the hearing will take place and how do i go about getting a hearing so i can try and stop them from lifting the judgement

Any help would be brilliant

Just contacted the local county court and they havetaken upon themselves to not make a decision upon this case without a hearing . 25th October in St Helens.

Could any one please help as to what im to begin preparing or anything i can read to get myself ready . Fortunatley I finish work tommorrow untill the end of september so plenty of time to prepare.

Hi Humley

If you dont mind my asking was your claim for a fixed amount and did your Judgement letter have a particular date that the bank should have paid you by.

I ask because Ive just been granted Judgement too but mine hasnt got a date on it , (overflow v halifax).

When I rang Court to ask about it was told they had to pay up immediately.:confused:

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

Hi there overflow

Mine was for a fixed amount £1257. Judgement was entered after the 14 days where up for them to defend (28th July). I then got judgement entered on the 1st Aug and rang them every day to see when they would be paying you have to chase this yourself your application for a judgement will read payment immediatley. Got fed up by the 8th and issued a warrant of execution.

had no contact with them since until i received a letter saying they are applying for the judgement to be lifted by the courts. got a court date of 25th october

In the meantime i applied to have my overdraft facility (which i dont normally use anymore) upto £1200. withdrawn £1150 last week and transffered my salary payment to another account as well as all my Direct debits and low and behold the Halifax phoned 20 minutes ago.

if my judgement is overturned and then a stay is appiled for instead of then defending ,i will be asking the judge to stay any action the halifax can take about getting their overdraft money back until my claim is sorted and also to not allow them to register a default. We will see.

If a judgement is entered they are legally required to pay up but as you know its sometimes difficult the get the debt.

You can issue an executuon of warrant which cost £55 but does not guarantee you get your money and thats it??

sorry to be the bearer of bad news if like me you thought you had it sorted seems weve just missed the boat for the shorterm.

Hi Humley

Dont think your the bearer of bad news , I am half expecting to find something like this happening to myself anyway.

Ive been trying to find out something about the CPR Rule 13.3(2).

Dont know if you have the Patricia Pearl book on Small Claims but in it Ive found this;

Appeals and Applications to Set Aside Judgement.

Judgement in Default

Circumstances------ No Acknowledgement or defence.

Complaint. ---------Judgement entered to soon or after the whole of the sum was paid in full (rule 13.2)

Action. ------------ Application to set aside or vary default judgement (rule13).

Timescale ---------- Promptly( note that the D.J. must set aside the judgement and will not impose a penalty).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances ------Failure to file defence or acknowledgement.

Complaint.---------- Judgement debtor has real prospect of defending or there is other good reason why the judgement should be set aside (rule 13.3)

Action -------------Application to set aside or vary default judgement (rule13)

Timescale. --------- Promptly (note that the D.J. must set aside the judgement and will not impose a penalty).(rule13.3(2)).

I dont know if this will help you at all but heres hopeing.

Just for the record , do they state the reason for wanting to apply stay.

Regards :)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

BTW I like your idea of upping O/D , dont blame you . They made things difficult for you why not do it right back at them. ;)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

HI Hulmey

Not heard anything from you. Hows the claim going?

I take it you issued a warrant then.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

• 1 month later...

could someone please help.

Im in court on Thursday at 11:50. The halifax have asked to get the judgement i received reversed.

they have sent the court papers detailing their reasons for the judgement to be lifted stating their usual story, didnt receive court papers didnt have enough time , strong argument for defence etc etc.

We all know they had no intention of defending and the cut off date for them to defend was one day after the OFT announcement. They have had a judgement by default issued against them and a warrant of execution. I have also withdrew all the 1000pound overdraft and placed in another account(they owed 1247). I no longer use this account as i have reverted to my parachute account.

I have all the letters and dates, and post office confirmation slips for everything i have sent to them.

What do i do when i go to court is their anything i have to write down and give to the judge or do i just speak when its my turn.

Im really in a panic at the moment , If the judge decides to lift the judgement will they have to put in a defence or will they realistically then apply for a stay. Can i ask the judge to put conditions on lifting the judgement , for instance they cant chase me for the 1000pounds or put anything negative on my credit file until the OFT test case or alternativley if the choose to defend(very unlikely) and win then i repay them the monies.

never been to court and really didnt want to get this far but ill give it a go.

Please help

• 4 years later...

Nightmare Please help

After forgetting all about reclaiming my bank charges and having a stay placed on the action back in October 2007 I have today recieved a court summons from Arrow Global - claiming to have bought the outstanding overdraft debt of the HBOS ?? is this allowed how can the hbos sell a debt which forms part of a claim made back in 2007 which currently has a stay on any action . Can the HBOS sell a date which is undoubtledy in dispute ?? also I have moved house since 2007 and cannot locate any of the oirginal court information from 2007 how would I get a copy of the info - it was done on MCOL but their website has now changed ?? I have to repsoned to arrow globals claim within 14 days our the will issue a judgement and after having my credit file clear for 6 years this would seriously affect me as Im in the process of buying another house - any advice would be really appreciated . Thanks worried worried worried