Texting to Twitter costs more than you think!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I thought I'd post this, because I have been stung for text message charges that I thought were included.

I recently took out a contract with Three; snazzy new phone, 75 xnetwork mins, and 600 texts for £15 a month, on an 18 month contract. I've started using Twitter a lot, and thought that it would be cool to be able to update it from my mobile - which is partly why I chose the tariff and mobile provider.

I've been texting away merrily to a mobile number that starts 07624 - then this morning I got my first bill. I have been charged 25p for each text. The "Destination" on the bill says "Manx Mobile", and a bit of searching on the internet reveals that this is the Isle of Man's telecoms company. It seems that Three (along with T-Mobile, from what I understand) class this as an international number, and don't include it in your text allowance.

07624 xxxxxx looks like a perfectly ordinary mobile number. I had no idea when I set it up with Twitter that this was going to be classed as "international". I knew that certain numbers aren't included in the allowance, such as those five digit short sms numbers, but this one has thrown me.

I thought it worth mentioning here - not because I want advice or anything (looking on the comments on that post, one guy complained and had the charges refunded, which is what I intend to do) but because this seems to be the logical place to warn people. Hope it helps.

An excellent point - and for that matter, the same holds true for Channel Island mobile numbers that ALSO commence 07. Of course, you can argue till you're blue in the face that any number commencing +447 cannot be - by definition 'international', the problem is just getting someone to listen. The reason is because you are dealing with a carrier that accepts UK calls as if they are 'roamed', they get away with it. Not the 'transparency' that OFTEL, OFCOM et al promised consumers.

• 1 year later...

"07624 xxxxxx looks like a perfectly ordinary mobile number".

No it doesn't. No other mobile network uses numbers starting 076. Manx Telecom was allocated 07624 because it matches their 01624 landline code. In fact 076 is otherwise allocated to pager numbers, some of which can cost much more than a text to the Isle of Man.

"+447 cannot be - by definition 'international'".

In fact +44 (not +447) is shared between the UK, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Obviously, calls between these countries are international.

-sent2coventry2003

"07624 xxxxxx looks like a perfectly ordinary mobile number".Obviously, calls between these countries are international.

You've certainly reawakened a VERY old thread - but can I clarify there is no 'obviously' about a +447 number being 'International' - it isn't and never will be. To be International a country code other than +44 needs to be used.

What you are hilighting is the different fees the various mobile carriers have carved up for themselves as part of their inter-network termination fees. Just as a Vodafone user in Jersey will be treated and billed as a roaming customer, the real issue is what fees will be charged for calling them from your chosen network, and as this is the mobile code, each number will (invariably) have a different cost which will depend on which network is being used to make the call, and which network delivers it.