• Tweets

• The answer to this is going to depend on what the agreement your friend signed says.  
    • Thank you all for the responses, to answers a few questions  - she has had the car since Jan 23 on a 5 year term.  - She is unsure what the agreement is called, but at the end she has the option to make a payment to "buy" the car - she recieves benefits for her young children alongside the ssp (normally she would be on NLW for a 16 hr a week job)  - Yes she would like to keep the car  She has not responded to the last email from them asking her to call and it'll be followed up in an email. I told her to hold off until atleast Wednesday so I can read a few posts on here and get some more information.  I will ensure she follows up with a letter, that has not been signed but instead her name written.   Thank you  
    • Thanks @lookinforinfo I'll use that. @FTMDave Yep im going to do just that and calmly enjoy the process that follows.    Whats the deal with the quote thing? Is it causing an issue for the site or just an annoyance.
    • Hello, *posting on behalf of my friend, I'll provide as much info as possible*  During a pretty low point my friend moved into a social housing property, it was in a area with no family/friend connections so she started to look for a mutual exchange. She found one, signed the paper work and thought everything was okay.  She has now decided she does not want to go through with the mutual exchange. Is she legally allowed to pull out after signing the paperwork or does she have to commit to the move? Thank you,
    • Thats perfect as long as they go to my new address its all good. thanks again for the help
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NJC V Abbey

NJC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6150 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Thought we would start off a new thread.

In process of claiming ~£500 + interest. Not a huge amount but it's our money!!

Sent the usual letters to Abbey and not received a suitable reply. Started small claim court proceedings on 12th April. Abbey have submitted a defence which from other threads seems to be standard. As such have now received AQ form from court for next stage.

In the interim, Abbey have made a goodwill offer of £130.

At this point in time we are just a bit confused about what to enter in section G of the N149. Any help appreciated, please.

Thanks in advance.

NJC

Thanks Pathfinder.

This is just what I am looking for. I need to get the AQ back ASAP, this week as the deadline is 30th and we are on holiday next week.

I believe there is no additional fee for submitting my AQ as my claim is under the £1500 threshold. We have already paid the £80 court cost.

AQ now completed and all supporting documents attached and referenced in section G. Just on way to the post office. Will be sending recorded delivery just in case. NJC

• 3 weeks later...

We have now passed the deadline for return of the AQ. Phoned the court today for an update. Looks like Abbey have also submitted their AQ and we are now awaiting the court's "allocation meeting" whatever that means. I have been told we should hear something from the court by the end of this week. Anyone out there have an idea what is likely to happen now? TIA NJC

I have read that some people have had success recently with corresponding with Inga at Abbey at some time between AQ submission and court date. Is there a collective guide on how people are achieving this? Who is this Inga?

I will go through the process of putting the court bundle together if need be and claiming for the time and materials to produce it but it sounds like this is a daunting task that I would prefer not to have to go through.

Thanks in advance for any pointers. NJC

Inga is one of the managers in the legal department.

I'm at the same stage as yourself, so sent an email to her asking for a settlement adding that it was in both parties interests not to continue with the litigation due to the costs outwaying the amount of the claim.

She replied the next day with an offer of £520, my claim is for £800 including interest and costs. Abbey have already paid a GOGW of £175.

I have responded by rejecting this offer and asking for the full amount and am still awaiting her reply

Got a letter from Bedford court today:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

The court has identified a number of cases which all raise the same issue and defence. In an effort to manage them appropriately the Court has listed the cases for consideration of allocation to track or in some cases reallocation. The Court has endeavoured to list cases involving the same lending institution at the same time an the hope that only one representative need attend."

Also included:

"DISTRICT JUDGE ******* has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires submitted in this claim and has decided that a hearing is necessary before final decision about allocation can be made.

Reasons for hearing are as follows:

The Court needs to identify whether this particular case is suitable for hearing as a fast track.

DISTRICT JUDGE ******* orders you to attend at 15:30 on the 2nd July 2007 at .........................."

Can anyone advise if there is anything I should prepare in readiness for this hearing? Any thoughts on what Abbey may do in light of this?

Hi NJC

How weird that we'll be there at the same time, but different banks. How's that going to work???? I never had an AQ just this letter. If I hear anything I'll let you know. I was going to prepare an order for directions as I never had an AQ, but noone has answered my pleas:(. Have no idea what they are gonna ask. Is Abbeys solicitor Wragge and Co or another one.

Speak to you soon and probably see you in a few weeks:D

Caza

Hi Caza, You have probably read through my thread. I find it interesting that you haven't been requested to complete the AQ. I am not intending to prepare anything more for this hearing in the July unless someone advises differently. I think this is an attempt by the judge to try and force the Abbey/A&L to settle without further court intervention. If you wanted to further prepare yourself then you may want to check through the thread as posted above by path_finder that points to:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/87766-abbey-abuse-orders-keeping.html

This is not to onerous and should take about an hour to prepare. Most of this should also be applicable against A&L. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further. NJC

*** ANOTHER WIN ***

Got a letter from Abbey this morning offering to settle in full prior to court. Just waiting for the money now.

Thanks to path_finder and cazawilson for your support. I am sure your claims will turn out to be successful as well.

Well done, I hope that Abbey will be in touch with me soon. I sent Inga Kirkman an email asking for settlement and had an offer of 65%. I've rejected and am still waiting for a reply.

I returned my AQs at the end of May and as of yet have had nothing back from the court. I will be rining them on Monday to find out what is happening.

Hopefully I'll be joining you in the ''winners enclosure'' soon. :D

Well done NJC

What brilliant news:D. Welllets hope i hear from the Alliance and Leicester soon. (dont hold my breath). If not will let you know what happens in court, surley it will go in our favour if one of the banks has already settled.

Have a drink for me and well done again.

Caza

Well, I am still awaiting the funds from Abbey. Chased Abbey and spoke to the court for advise on what to do about the hearing on Monday.

I guess if the funds aren't there by mid day Monday, I should attend the hearing.

Not sure what would happen if I stop proceedings and then Abbey fail to pay up. NJC

Hi NJC

Dont stop anything untill the funds are sitting in your account. Inform the courts what has been agreed and advise them that when monies have cleared you will let them kmow. Funny if you do turn up on Monday and they don't:D. Well lets hope it all comes through shouldn't take them that long.

Caza

Hi Caza,

I asked Abbey to confirm to me when the funds are in my account. It's me that's chasing updates and doing daily checks. They really don't seem too bothered. If I have to attend on Monday, it means I will have to take time off work, I know they have no intention of sending someone.

How long does it take to credit me my money. They can take it quickly enough from my account when it suits them.

Doh!!! Steam coming out my ears in frustration. :mad::mad::mad: NJC

Money now in our account :D. Just in time to avoid court hearing on Monday.

Thanks again to those who have provided support.

Cheerz

NJC

Hi Cookie Monster,

Our letter was dated 21st June as well. Have you called the phone number on the top right of the letter. This appears to be the number for the infamous Inga Kirkman. She is actuallt quite leasant on the phone.

I chased a couple of times last week as our court date is tomorrow, Monday 2nd July. The money eventuallt got credited in our account on Friday. Talk about leaving things to the 11th hour. Good luck, hope your is with you soon. NJC

Hi NJC

Just back from court, they never showed. It has been allocated to small claims though. Have put a full update on my thread on the A&l forum.

Shame you weren't there but at least it was for the right reasons.

Speak to you soon and will keep you updated.

Caza:D

Hi Caza, I nearly did go to Bedford today. I spoke with the court this morning to see if they had received my letter confirming that I was withdrawing the claim. It was posted 1st class on Friday when I received the funds in the account but they still haven't received it. Whoever I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem if I didn't attend and they noted my case.

Although the court is only 25 minutes away, I got tied up with work this afternoon.

I have put a reply on your thread. Interested to know if you were on your own or if there were other cases being heard as well. Speak to you soon. NJC