• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Findings so far

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having hijacked a Cabottors thread (SH) on my first posting, I have decided to share with all Cabottors my opinions of what I have discovered to date. Some relate solely to Cabot but the majority apply to all.

CCA non-production

In some cases this may well be genuinely gone forever. Are they holding it back, perhaps to make you out of time for obtaining some of the illegal charges later?

CCA request

Why do they then request from OC if they supposedly bought it. Under Absolute Legal Assignment all correspondence would have moved to the new owner.

CCA - production of application form

This proves there is some paperwork, ironically the very first piece, are the chances of the actual CCA (a slightly later document) being there really nil? I guess it as a little to do with bank charges. Remember this request goes to trained monkeys with little understanding and via several people after, are these the ones who will make very convenient scapegoats later."

AKTIV

I don't know how I missed this thread - But I do have a question.

So if this company "really do" have all the "paperwork" CCA's DOA's etc. - then why are they wasting time and valuable resources in being struck out of court? There are cases where they were clearly asked to produce this stuff and didn't - it cost them money to do this obviously.

Surely if they are trying to bring cases to court - it's good housekeeping to have all the relevant docs to hand prior to starting procedings - this way if they get the "old rogue customer" who dares to question their legitimate papers - they could readily comply and push their claims through court with ease? I don't understand why if it's all running so "tickety boo" then are they wasting the time of the so claimed "Defendants", Solicitors and the Courts time within the court system?

Surely it's an abuse of the Court system to be trying to bring such cases to prior to having the relevant papers to support such cases?

Moreover, if this paperwork really existed - then why be "struck out of court" ? there are cases this company have tried to bring to court that were struck out because they never pre empted people would know their rights and ask questions etc.. So how did this happen?

I get the distinct feeling that there is an element of "winging it" going on - where they really take a chance that people will be scared rigid by the "Court Claim" when it drops through the letter box !!! Let's face it - we know this company are doing "Land Registry" searches on people to distinguish whether they be a "home owner" or tenant - from that sight of the LR - we can place an educated guess as to who has some Equity in their homes etc.. and who might be scared enough to go take a quicky loan or remortgage to pay off the Court Claim to avoid the CCJ ? This company are clearly "cherry picking" who they try pick on with their claims?

I am not convinced things are as "in order" as we are being fooled into believing at all - surely this company doesn't waste resources like this if they have the DOCS to come forward with !!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding in this thread.

To clarify, I will use Cabot as an example...

When they "purchase" a debt.. They buy it. They do pay the OC's money for the debt. Any money they reclaim, in relation to the debt is not returned to the OC.

If a DCA is unable to reclaim funds, due to lack of documentation etc.. They have an agreement with OC's that they can sell these back to them.

I appreciate that this concept may be hard for some to accept, but this is the way the industry operates. tbern, has already posted that he has proof of this in relation to Cabot...

tbern please , to stop this from going on can you please post your proof.

I think you will find that both Debt_Mountain and tbern have both already started legal action against Cabot.

Cabotfg - what you said above is clearly what we are finding from the original lenders.

Aktiv you said

"Yes there may well be a deed of assignment but if no payment has been made upfront and there is instead a charge then it is not an absolute assignment. Poor Ken must be getting rather fed up of the Cabot Fan Club not understanding why none of the Cabot companies are the creditor after all he does tell everyone exactly where to look! Bet he wonders why people love to write to him instead of exercising their right to deal with the actual creditor."

We are not writing to Ken Maynard and his crew because we love the "sound of his or their names" - this company are clearly contradicting everything we have found from the original lenders we have each dealt with

to date. I agree that Ken must be getting a little fed up - because his game is up!!!

The case I mentioned earlier - where Cabots were struck out of court for not having the relevant paperwork etc.. - is perfectly TRUE - I have no doubt about that persons integrity at all. CABOTS / HODSON's were actually given extended time by the judge to file their papers etc. THEY FAILED TO DO SO. I hardly think they'd be sat upon papers like this and getting struck out of court for fun? Seems to be they are a company who have been so used to bullying people who never knew their rights - and NOW there are people who actually have the nerve to ask questions - well poor KEN & crew must be shocked? Having to answer to these "rogue customers" who actually do have laws on their side - must be a first?

I think it's time this company held their hands up and took responsibility for the wrongs they are so obviously doing. Gone are the days where this company told people to jump - and we asked how high.

Elizabeth & Rhia

I apologise if you were offended by me saying Cabot Fan Club. I was jus trying to differentiate a little not offend. Yes, like FG I do agree that you have done a lot of research.

I wasn't offended at all - different opinions are good to learn and reason with? I am smart enough to realise I may not always be right and my opinion isn't all that counts.

Don't feel that you offended me - you didn't.

I realise you are not writing for fun. Not sure about the OC though as it is possible they are accidently misleading you due to their accounting systems. If FG would answer the "creditor" bit it would help!

The court cases, I gave a summary of various questions which were aimed at any case heard about, not the one mentioned. For the one mentioned, your winging it theory and my finding a friendly court are both appropriate possibilities.

I am quite sure the "winging it" and finding a friendly court could very well be part of this theory.

I just reckon this guy/company had better stop doing his Del Boy impression and start taking responsibilty - nevermind his calling customers "rogues" - I reckon he will need the "trotter" 3 wheeler sooner than he realises if that attitude is continued. But I must say it seems to be an industry wide thing and not just Cabots

Seems there is a distinct failure to recognise that things have changed in the industry and the "rogues" are becoming enlightened to their games - he has so much to lose by showing such ignorance to these changes. It has to be realised that this company as with any other DCA have to evolve with the times and realise that they TOO have to adhere to laws provided.

• Haha 1

It's because this company met us with such a "pick and choose - let's wing it" attitude that we have had to point out their errors?

This company have been so used to spinning yarns and winding people up over years - they find it hard to realise that YES the laws do actually apply to them too.

Poor old Ken & crew must really wonder what has hit them as they are at the end of their line now and they haven't any excuses left to fob people off with.

Surely they realise by now that they have made mistakes and they need to put them right?