• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

inthered V Bank of ireland

inthered
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know I've started the ball rolling with claim against the BOI. I sent the template letter requesting statements for past 6 years and I was suprised to have received them in a few days (should I be worried). I've calculated the total fees/referral items and sent the claim hoping for the best.

***HOWEVER***

With adding the total fees and referral items the total amount came to approx - £5000!!!

I know I can only claim upto £2k via small claims court....can someone tell me the procedure for me claiming more as I feel a bit out of my league here with such a claim?

Anyone else been successful with BOI or a large claim???

Have I been wrong in adding the total fees and referral items....should these have been broke down further or will this be looked at by bank/court?

Any advice appreciated:confused:

firstly make sure of the fee's you are claiming, I'm claiming against the frst trust and can't calim on everything charged on the account, what I could calim for was as follows -

First Trust Bank

Fee-unpaid D/debit

Fee-unpaid Out

Fee-unpaid S/order

Referral Charge

Unpaid Cheque Fee

Unpaid Fee

Also after a bit of checking I can't find a specific list for the Bank of Ireland but here is an example for another Norn Iron bank

Northern Bank

Referral Fee

Unpaid Charge

Warning Letter

hope this is of some help

Look further down this board for pmcmurrough v bank of ireland. He and a girl whose user name I've forgotten are heading up the fight against BoI.

If you read his thread, you'll see that the bank seem to be taking him on. The judge has set aside a full day to hear their claims on April 16. The NI Consumer council seem to be being very helpful. I'm waiting to see the outcome of that case before proceeding.

Like you, I'm claiming more than £2k. I think you have to break it down into separate claims, do it in stages.

It's all a bit confusing isn't it?

fiford

Yeah, its turning out to be!!!

Thanks guys for the advice.

The problem I have is that I cant find a breakdown of the individual charges - seems to be either notified fees, referral items or interest. I cant see where it actually states what the charge is relating to.

Should the bank provide this info??

I have already sent the letter to claim for the charges (not broken down) which is the total of fees and referral items incurred.

Is it too late then to break these down since I have already sent the letter or should I still be able to break it down if/when they reply objecting to them?

You should also be claiming back all the COMPOUND INTEREST which BOI scammed you into paying them.

This is an unlawful penalty charge, on top of an unlawful penalty charge!

If you have family or friends in England, you can take them to court through the English courts system, which has a far higher upper limit on small claims- £5000.

Right - Received reply this morning from BOI!!!.........copied most of it, might be helpful to anyone else with BOI

"We are satisfied that all our charges are fair and equitable and are clearly articulated in our terms and conditions a copy of which have been provided to you at the time of account opening and on an annual basis thereafter."

"In recent press coverage regading unlawful charges, the coverage relates to default charges that are applied when an account goes overdrawn without the bank's prior agreement. When this happens this is a breach of the terms and conditions agreed at account opening and this results in the application of unpaid/or referral item fees as outlined in the Schedule of Charges. We have looked at you account and according to our records and the statements provided the total sum of default charges applied to the account is £3,173.20."

"Therefore, we are prepared to pay you the sum of £500 (including interest) in full and final settlement of this claim. This offer remains open to you for 30 days from the date of this letter. To confirm your acceptence on this basis, and your agreement tomaintain absolute confidentiality in respect of said settlement."

"If you remain unhappy with this response, you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service details of which I enclose. Should you wish the Financial Ombudsman Service to review your complaint, you may refer this item to them within 6 months from the date of this letter."

My original claim was for just over £5k...however, I mistakenly did not break it down properly. Either way I find a settlement of £500 when I've been charged over £3k a bit poor (although it is money well needed at present!!).

Going by what the are saying, they sound pretty confident that they're charges are lawful and that I have agreed to them as Im sure everyone has when opening an account.

Any advice anyone.....has anyone got a result from the BOI yet???

Should I speak to the Ombudsman??

Spoke to Ombudsman - They have advised that most banks do not make an offer unless confident and secure that they're charges are lawful. They have also said that due to amount of claims they are dealing with that it could take upto 3 months to get a response or result. I explained that we only had 30 days to accept offer if we were to take it. HOWEVER according to Ombudsman, if we proceed with them they can enforce the £500 payment when they're enquiry is finished (whether we are entitled to more or not).

Hi

just to let you know that you can pursue this in n.i but in the county court rather than the small claims

I have had a settlement of 1372 in full today from b of ireland, not because I pursued them in court ( i did this but it was adjourned awaiting the oft report) but because I reported them to the fin ombudsman

threaten court action and report them as well. good luck

Note that nowhere do they try to claim that their charges are LAWFUL- this is the crux of this whole campaign. They are not lawful and you are entitled to start legal action to recover all you money.

Reporting the matter to the Ombudsman is one solution and of course there is no reason why you may not take legal action against the bank.

The Ombudsman's decision in binding on the bank, but not on the consumer.

Hi there inthered

Did you also claim for notified interst on your account???

- this is interest that you pay if you go over your authorised overdraft limit- whereby if you don't go over your overdraft you don't get interest charges but if you do go over your limit you get charged on the whole amount you were overdrawn not just the over your limit amount overdrawn

just looking back through my old statements and I got charged 15 for this on one occassion - but they very kindly refunded it without me asking them too

Makes me feel very guilty about claiming the rest of my money back (aye dead on lol)

anyway keep me posted re your settlement I'll be sending my prelim in about a week I guess - and I'll keep you posted how I go

Yeah Jackster....have claimed interest also.

As it sits, I have Ombudsman looking into my claim and have sent a letter to BOI informing them of this and that I will NOT be accepting their offer!!!

Hopefully will all go well:|

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys,

I woke up this morning to a letter from the financial ombudsman. I got a reply from them on Thursday informing me that they had sent a letter of investigation to the BOI and that it may take upto 3 months for any sort of result.

After reading this on Thursday, you can imagine my suprise when I read the letter this morning informing me that they have received word back from BOI stating that as they do not wish to be investigated any further, they are offering final settlement of the FULL AMOUNT of £3265.50

RESULT!!!!!

I didnt think for a second that after being offered £500 previously by BOI that I would have any chance of getting any more from them.

BIG THANKS TO THIS SITE FOR THE INFO AND SUPPORT AND A BIG THANKS TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN WHO WILL BE ON MY XMAS CARD LIST THIS YEAR!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

This obviously shows there is a real case as they were willing to pay over £3k to prevent any further investigation (peanuts to a bank).

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF YOU!!!!

hi inthered

got a letter from BOI today tellin me they had 8 weeks to resolve my complaint uner FSA guidelines but hope to respond to me by 8th June 07

I take it this is a load of baloney??? and I should stick to my own timetable??

jackster