• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

What to do? Please help!! Getting stressed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is typical DCA practice. They leave you alone for a while and then try to catch you on the hop. Contact them in writing and ask for a copy of their complaints procedure. Make an official complaint to them and to Trading Standards. If the DCA fail to address your complaint contact the FSO. As Kenny (well know purveyor of escellent advice) says it really depends how much fun you want to have with them. If they ring you to work again pretend to be your manager and inform them that they should not be ringing his business as hendrixwoman is not allowed to accept personal calls. They usually say this is a business call to which you reply well I am the manager of the business so tell me what its about. There are numerous ways to take the pee out of them.

Guest ConsumersRevenge

I used to work for a debt collection agency (pretty big one too) and they used to both buy in debt and act on behalf of the lenders. My memory is a little cloudy (hardly suprising after my leaving bash there) but they do try to hide as much information as they can. My advise would be to ask them for clarification in writing as to the capacity they are acting in, and you will formally dispute thier claims until then. Also, they are not allowed to harrass you at work, or in deed at all. The fact you have asked them to stop is a plus, advise them that you will be reporting them to the phone company for harrassing calls, the police for the same, and report them to the OFT for thier conduct. These people are not above the law, and they have no more rights than the original lender. From the original creditor, get a breakdown of your charges, advise that you feel they are unlawful and if made to pay them you will recover them through the court system. If they refuse to deal with you, start proceedings against them.

With reference to the DCA, I used to laugh at the people calling up and screwing my employer over. If they have brought the debt (from what I recall we used to pay 12p per £1). Make an offer of what you can afford to pay (we used to have people telling us to either accept a £1 per week, or they would file for bankrupcy and we'd get nothing!). There are measures you can take to protect your home etc. I would also consider ordering your lender to remove any defaults etc which are placed on non payment of unlawful charges from your credit file. DON'T LET THEM GET AWAYT WITH DOING THIS TO YOU... THEY ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW, NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I sent the DCA a CCA request on the 30th March and received nothing.

Now 9 months later the debt has been sold to CapQuest who sent me a letter stating that they have bought the debt and that they want full payment within blah blah. I shall be sending them a CCA request tomorrow along with a Harrasment by telephone letter.

Is this normal practice for debts to be passed from one DCA to another?

I'm just so fed up with them phoning me at work :-(

I agree with Firstwithit....they are NOT allowed to transfer the request whilst it is in dispute.....you MUST report them to the OFT and their local Trading Standards....I'll see if I can find a letter for you...

This will need editing Hendrix....this is reproduced courtesy of Curlyben

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

I must admit that I am rather bemused as to why this account has been passed to yourselves, as it is in dispute with the Moorcroft and has been since DATE 2007.

Not only is this a breach of OFT collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Data Protection Act 1998

As Moorcroft have failed to comply with my Consumer Credit Act request and admitted that the alleged signed executed agreement is unavailable, enforcement action is impossible under section 127 (3) of the Act.

As Moorcroft are now in default of my Consumer Credit Act request and OFT Collection Guidelines,I consider this account to be in SERIOUS DISPUTE.

As you are aware while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default enforcement action is NOT permitted, under s127 this constitutes a complete defence at law.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Now I would respectfully suggest that this account is returned to the SDFS for resolution of these defaults and breaches, as Fredricksons cannot lawfully pursue any enforcement activities.

If Fredricksons chooses to ignore my dispute and attempt enforcement, I will initiate legal action and file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action.

After taking advice, I am of the opinion that any continued pursuit is in violation of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40 as well as breaching a number of the OFT Collection Guidelines

I hope that this will not be necessary and an acceptable solution can be accomplished.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!!

I sent a "do not phone me letter" and another following the template above to Cap Quest. I received a letter from them yeatersay and to be honest it has confused me somewhat.

The letter states that they would only ever phone me between 8am-9pm so why am I not happy with this. They have also said that they had left numerous messages with my employer and as yet I have failed to phone them back.

They say that they will stop phoning if I reply to their previous letters ie want full payment within 7 days.

They completely ignored the other letter that I sent explaining how the account was in dispute as the previuos DCA did not provide me with a true copy of of a signed aggrement.

The last paragraph reads...

"your account is on hold whilst we await your response on how you wish to process with your account"

What should I do now? Sent them a CCA?

Thanks again guys.

Report them as they are NOT allowed to contact your employer about you being allegedly in debt. This lot play dirty as they are picking up the dregs of accounts.

Take the letter to Trading Standards and their 'newer' buddy, National Debt Line and ask them to file a complaint - this is totally against regulations.

As for the last paragraph of their letter, tell them you are complaining to the relevant authorities as your original CCA request wasn't answered and you have already requested information which hasn't been supplied. Another CCA is wasted now as you now need to apply to the courts for a restraining order on the original creditor and their agents.

I would complain to the ombardsman and trading standards straight away. The previous dca are at fault re the cca and this lot of **** are just trying to threaten you into paying for something they know they have no proof you owe. They know they can't enforce this in court, but they are hoping to harass you into paying. You could write one more time to restate your position re the calls and that you give them 7 days to confirm removal of your numbers from their records or you will report them, but given what dregs this lot are I think I would report them anyway.

good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Definately report them to TS. They are in breach of the OFT regulations and have foolishly admitted IN WRITING that they have contacted your employer aith regard to your debt. IDIOTS. It looks like you will need to report these clowns to the FOS. Before you can do that you need to make an official complaint to CAPQUEST. Write to them and demand a copy of their complaints procedure.