• Tweets

• Hello, I'm wondering if someone can advise me on something. I'm appealing an order and have been asked to submit an appeal bundle and the below points are required to be included: 1) transcript of the judgment of the lower court on other record of reasons.  2) Statement of case. I'm wondering if anyone knows that "on other record of reasons" means. Also for statement of case would it just be a long document covering the reason for the claim, the findings of the lower court, why it was wrong and what I seek instead?   Thanks,
    • Hello, Thanks for the advice. I asserted my rights to reject and they accepted it and said they will refund me the full amount.  My question now is how long do they usually take to collect the vehicle? I've made it clear that I'm available for them to collect it whenever and I've been told its been passed on to the collections team. I chased it up today as its also raining heavily at the moment.  I just wondered if anyone had any experience on how long they usually take to collect? I'd obviously like it collected as soon as possible as I need to purchase another car.  Is it likely they will drag on the process of collection and what can I do if they do?  Thanks!
    • Why are FCA’s “name and shame” proposals causing a stir?View the full article
    • I am coming back to this thread after receiving a Single envelope containing 2 letters: 1 from Max Recovery telling me that my account was transferred to Drydens Fairfax in 2007 1 from Drydens Fairfax telling me that they are under instruction from their client to seek repayment.   These relate to a Barclays Overdraft from the early 00s, last payment through PayPlan was 04 June 2019, but neither of the letters are from Barclays themselves.   I have informed Drydens in both May 2019 and June 2023 of changes of address. No letters beyond a confirmation of the change and a request for finanical details have been received, which ive ignored.   What i was wanting to know is do i just ignore these as per previous advice? I know that i cant CCA an overdraft debt but what is the usual "plan" for dealing with old overdraft debts? Am i trying to run the clock down until June 2025 when it becomes statue barred?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

GE Money PPI miss-sold: Can I claim it back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was told that taking out PPI would increase my chances of getting the loan. Is this mis-selling?? Can I claim it back?

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

NatWest Bank- £8k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

Capital One - £2k+ ** SETTLED IN FULL**

Cahoot - £255 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Abbey National - £385 **SETTLED IN FULL**

Central Trust - £3k+ **SETTLED IN FULL**

GMAC RFC - £2k **SETTLED IN FULL**

Now going after Natwest (again) and Halifax.

Having read guidance etc, etc I'm feeling I have a case here

- because they told me that I would have more chance of getting the loan if I agreed to PPI.

I am up for this and want to take them on to get back both the money the PPI cost (£2k + interest since)

and late payment charges from GE Money.

Should I do this in the same claim (it would be under £5k) or two different ones...

also is there a standard letter for this anywhere??

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

GE Money...I would go for them, Not that I have anything against GE Money :mad: :mad: But I have them in Court re Mis-Selling me PPI.

You will find that they are not the fastest to respond to complaints etc, But if you need Contact name and Numbers to start off your Complaint , just let me know and I will pass them onto you .

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thanks Ian - that would be gr8 if you could. Cheers.

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Mr Rupert Peacock

Customer Relations Manager

GE Money Consumer Lending Ltd

53-61 College Road

Harrow

Middlesex

HA1 1FB

Direct Phone 0845 610 6532

Direct Fax 01923 426770

You will find that any response from the above , will be at the last minute or more than usual late and outwith any timescale you set, Best way is to keep at Him, I always sent copies of letters etc to Him by Fax and also by recorded Delivery mail, Not that it made any difference to the way he responded but at least if you have to go to court you will have evidence regarding contact with Him.

An I think they have run a course of Cutting and Pasting in Microsoft word as they like to repeat themselves and never get straight to the point..lol:)

Having said that I did once get a prompt reply from Him, That was when My court summons arrived on His desk..:p

You may also find this report from the FSA interesting, Tut Tut Ge Fined for Mis-Selling Products and breaking the FSA Principles of Business. :eek:

FSA fines GE Capital Bank

Good luck and if you need further help Just ask..

Ian

• Haha 1

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thanks Ian that's really helpful!

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

• 3 weeks later...

Have had a letter from GE saying they're investigating my claim... and will be back to me within four weeks.

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

You will probably get your response from them on the last day of the 4 weeks, if not later.

And remember it is your Timescale that you are working to NOT THEIRS..

Ian

Cheers Ian, going by my timescale it's now time for an LBA and also the Times article on the 8th I feel I have a strong case - but am expecting to have to file a claim at court!! Not sure on wording for LBA (or N1 if it comes to that) as my claim with include PPI, charges and interest - any advice or is there a template anywhere? Can't find one... Cheers. PC

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Cheers Ian, going by my timescale it's now time for an LBA and also the Times article on the 8th I feel I have a strong case - but am expecting to have to file a claim at court!! Not sure on wording for LBA (or N1 if it comes to that) as my claim with include PPI, charges and interest - any advice or is there a template anywhere? Can't find one... Cheers. PC

Hello, This is the lba I sent to the company.

Your address

Their address

Date

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

Loan Account no: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter of 15th March 2007 and your standard letter of acknowledgement of my unhappiness of the Personal loan protector that your company applied to the above loan.

I am extremely disappointed that your Company has failed to respond to my letter of 9th March 2007 requesting the refund of monies that your company has taken fraudulently from me.

In my previous letter dated 9th March 2007 I stated:-

I write in response to my recent Subject Access Request dated 14th January 2007. I thank you for your information. After reading the information it has now come to my attention, that the loan account no xxxxxxxxxxxxxxwhich I took out on the 4th April 2001 had payment protection insurance applied to it. the loan was for £xxxxxx plus £xxxxxcharge for credit/ interest. The payment protection insurance was calculated by yourselves at £xxxx. Total amount of money payable £xxxxxx ten years and I would assume unless otherwise directed by yourselves that 8,9% interest on the ppi of £xxxxwas included into the interest applied to this loan. The insurance policy no of the payment protection insurance is xxxxx. I have never received any policy or terms and conditions regarding this policy. I have received this information from the SAR you have recently sent to me

I am extremely disappointed that your company have conveniently failed to locate any copies of Contracts regarding the loan. I feel this statement hard to believe that you cannot locate these documents and by law under the data Protection Act 1998 and the Limitation Act of 1980 you must supply me with this information. There was another loan running prior to the above loan which I have also request information about. I shall be reporting this matter to the Information Commissioners Office.

When I took the loan with your company, I was not given offered a full and detailed explanation of payment protection insurance and was lead to believe by your company/representative that it was part of the conditions of the loan. I have thought that for the last five years and more. It has only become apparent to me after the recent coverage by the media, and following the recent OFT and FSA investigations regarding the mis-selling of ppi by finance companies.. This is when I requested the Subject Access Request. Regarding the loan with the ppi applied, I believe I that I have been gravely mis-led and have been mis-sold this expensive insurance that I did not need or want.. At the time of this application I was enduring financial difficulties and being my main bank account of this you were well aware. I am frankly shocked that you have operated my loan account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

Firstly, I understand that at the time I entered into the loan contract with you your bank was running an incentive scheme to encourage your employees to sell PPI schemes, as were several other High Street banks. This information was posted on a public website in September last year:

SECRET documents leaked from two major banks show how bosses get their staff to sell big loans and the profitable insurance policies that go with them Commission tables for the RBOS and NatWest reveal a score system in which bank workers amass disproportionally more points for selling larger loans and for those sold with insurance - sparking fears that inappropriate products are being pushed

In-branch customer service advisers are able to earn a quarterly bonus of £1,200 if they consistently reach a weekly target of about 2,700 points over three months and if their branch also reaches its three-monthly target. Staff earn 30 points if they sell a customer a personal loan of between £3,000 and £4,999, but they earn 90 points if the loan is sold with payment protection insurance - the controversial cover that is supposed to pay out if a borrower loses their income.

I was not aware of this and even if it is untrue, I consider that there was a clear conflict of interest between your fiduciary responsibilities to me and the direct selling by your employees of PPI schemes, given the very large profit margins they generate.

When I took the loan/loans with your company, I was not offered a full and detailed explanation of payment protection insurance and was led to believe by your company/representative that it was part of the conditions of the loan. I have thought that for the last five years and more. It has only become apparent to me after the recent coverage by the media, and following the recent OFT and FSA investigations regarding the mis-selling of ppi by finance companies.. This is when I requested the Subject Access Request of the 14th January 2007.

Regarding the loans with the ppi applied, I believe I that I have been gravely mis-led by your company at a time when I was facing financial difficulties and have been mis-sold this expensive insurances that I did not need or want.. At the time of this application I was in full-time employment with no risk of redundancy ,a fully paid salary for 6months of sickness, had a generous life insurance and critical illness insurance policies.

No attempt was made to ascertain if the product provided was fit for purpose, suitable for my needs or if indeed it at all. No inquiry was made as whether I had pre-existing insurance for accident, illness or unemployment. I was not given a copy of the insurance policy nor were any rights to cancel explained. I believe you manifestly failed in your fiduciary responsibilities, your duty of care.

Secondly, I understand under the Consumer Credit Acts and following a House of Lords judgment, that you are not allowed to make a loan conditional on taking PPI unless you include the costs of PPI as part of the charge for credit and not the credit itself.

You did not do this. You added it to the total for credit and then charged me further interest on the premium on top of the interest for the loan. This is unacceptable.

Finally I believe insurance contracts are contracts uberrimae fidei (contracts of the utmost good faith) which imposes on you a “duty of disclosure of all material facts because one party is in a strong position to know the truth.” Inter alia, I believe that you should have disclosed to me that the type of policy you sold me, a single payment premium, did not give a pro-rata refund in event of early settlement. I believe you should have made it clear to me that the policy generated large profits for you. You failed to do this. I believe that you have also therefore failed in your duty of disclosure. Your failure to disclose is misrepresentation at common law.

What I require

Your concealment of the act of mis-selling has prevented me from asserting my right until now. I believe that there are strong grounds for action against you under common law, statute and consumer regulations.

The original premium was £xxxx added to the loan amount on the 4th April 2001. I presume that interest at 8.9% was added to this amount.(unless you can inform me otherwise). Interest £xxxx Total amount £xxxxx. The Statutory 8% interest (S69 of the County Court Act) allowed by the Courts will amount to £xxxxx Making the total amount payable at the Court Stage £xxxxxx

My targets to resolve this matter

I previously wrote to you on the 9th of March to ask you to refund the premium paid together with interest equal to your APR at the time under the accepted principle of mutuality and reciprocity. You have not responded positively to this request.

I have also requested information to the previous loan I had with your Company and have not received any information about this loan to date. I have sent a CCA request to Ms xxxxx dated the 6th March 2007. Again I have not received any credit agreement documents pertaining to this/those loans. You have therefore not complied with my requests and have now breached the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I will deal with this serious breaches of the above Statutory Acts by means of another complain.

I did hope that you would enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I wrote the previous letter to you on the assumption that you would prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets. To this date I have received your standard letter and a leaflet. I also gave you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive this payment.

I am now sending you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that this time frame is sufficient for a large company such as yours with its dedicated staff and departments. After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of this second deadline.

Yours sincerely

Unfortunatly everyones claim is a bit different with ppi so you have to amend bits to get your own letter which pertains to your circumstances.

I hope this helps:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Cheers for that - have amended to suit my needs. Should I copy in the banking ombudsmen and/or FSA?

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Cheers for that - have amended to suit my needs. Should I copy in the banking ombudsmen and/or FSA?

It would do no harm to mention that your will consider or are going to complain to the Financial Ombudsment Service and the Financial Advisory Service:-D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

• 2 weeks later...

GE have responded to my letter saying that I signed an agreement and therefore they cannot refund my PPI. I maintain they told me on the telephone I had no chance of getting the loan without it. They also claim the form I signed says it was optional - it doesn't make this clear. They also point out they cannot refund the PPI - my understanding is this is misadvice as the FSA have recently announced all banks must now offer refunds on such policies (even if they previously didn't).

They also claim their charges are fair and reflect what it costs them if payments are returned. However, they haven't provided a breakdown of them!

I want to proceed to court, but have two queries:

1. Have I got a case?

2. If I have should I put the PPI and charges claim together? Or launch two separate claims?

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Also can anyone help with wording for the N1 Money Claim form?

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Also can anyone help with wording for the N1 Money Claim form?

Hello,

Maybe pm Reidnet for info, I have not need to go that far yet, but may have to soon.:D

Please have a look at this thread.

PPI POC required for info

It may be best to hangfire a bit to see what transpires re:- poc for the ppi

Also, I note from their letter they say I cannot cancel my PPI - did the FSA not recently announce this is no longer legal?

Also, hellhasnofury how did you check out who your insurance is actually with??

BATTLES WON/ONGOING

Also, I note from their letter they say I cannot cancel my PPI - did the FSA not recently announce this is no longer legal?

Also, hellhasnofury how did you check out who your insurance is actually with??

Hello pc23,

Have a look at this fsa link re the refunding of ppi

Consumers to benefit from PPI refunds agreement

The fsa are well on their tails, but they I presumme with still put up a fight.

I liken it to starting a race. if ten people start reclaiming back their mis-sold ppi, they meet the first hurdle and two may fall and not continue, then the next hurdle is put up and again some may fall and not continue. It is only those who are determined and prepared will get to the finishing line and win.:D

I think also the companies look at it like this, the law of averages.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now.

The insurance companys who I had the policies with I am still unsure about. I never received any mention of them in my sar requests. This was actually immaterial as the Loan Company mis-sold it to me and it was them I was after.

They really do an excellent professional job setting up the ppi don't they, it seems a lot of people who have it don't know who it is with:eek: