Abbey sends letter to wrong person

mattydj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently paid a cheque into my account which unfortunately bounced.

I only discovered this when I checked my balance online and noticed the amount had been credited and then taken back out of my account.

I rang the Abbey and they told me that the letter had gone astray but was coming back and would be sent on to me.

I received a letter this morning from a complete stranger who had been sent a letter, addressed to me, marked Private and Confidential.

Attached to this letter was the cheque, marked refer to drawer.

Now, not only has this complete stranger had sight of my name, address and bank account details, but also the name, address and bank account details of the person who's cheque had bounced.

I have written a very strongly worded complaint to the Abbey. Of course, I don't for one minute expect anything from them, but I have told them that if my or my friend's accounts have been compromised in any way, I shall hold Abbey responsible and shall expect full compensation and remuneration for any improper withdrawls.

I am now looking elsewhere for banking.

Guest Big Lash

Matty, this isn't a case of not hearing from Abbey, it should be a case of Abbey being worried about what you will do.

This is a major breach of the DPA, and Abbey are squarely at fault.

I don't know the proceedure off the top of my head, but Abbey have so long to investigate. If they ignore your letter, then your options are to contact the Financial Ombudsman to ask him to step in.

I am sure there are other organisations that you could involve, and I'm sure others will post their thoughts on the matter.

DO NOT let this go, Abbey have made a very serious error and need to make every effort to ensure you are satisfied with their investigation.

A similar thing happened to me 2 years ago. My bank details were sent to the wrong address and I filed for compensation.

I wrote a letter complaining and asking for compensation quoting that I would take this complaint to the Financial Ombusman if I did not receive the proper compensation.

I held out for £500. The reason for this is that the Ombusman charges the Banks £500 for each complaint that they have to handle if it is found to be a fault by the bank - which in your case it clearly is.

They did try and get rid of me for £100 then increased to £180 but 2 weeks after that call I got a cheque in the post for £500.

They have clearly breached the DPA rules and therefore you are entitled to claim. Good Luck.

:p