• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Credit AGREEMENT -or- APPLICATION? RBS Advantage Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Pam - I suggested that the letter NOT be sent at this stage - it looks like a sort of knee jerk reaction? - any comments? (and I agree with all your amendments, of course!)

Hi LB

Yes, totally agree that no letter needs to be sent (if at all) until the full time limit is up. It's not our place to help them avoid the consequences of not complying! :-D

My concern with this site now is that little snippets of news about rights/possible courses of action are getting passed around between many threads and some people may be jumping in with all guns blazing without doing the necessary research first. :eek:

IMO this is potentially very dangerous and in extreme cases, misinfomation 'might' backfire with damaging consequences to a particular case.

If you are going to take on these dinosaurs, you need to make sure your clubs are up to the job! :-D

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I have found this information to be extremely useful and this thread is really informative. I love this debate.:-D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

for those that wanted to see it ...here it is... cany you spot any glaring errors

oh btw I was also unemployed and it was signed at home as well

welcome.jpg

• Haha 1

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

ermmm it was signed by both I erased it for sake of security

I really thought I was screwed until I REALLY studied it !!!

it seemed to have everything it should.....but !!!!

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Dave

So sorry, i couldnt tell it was signed then erased, I didnt mean to give you a coronary, lol,

regards, rinkydinkydoo:-D

I must admit I'm amazed welcome wrote that off so easily. Fixed sum agreements aren't my strong point (yet), but most of the key stuff is there - although presumably they should have put in something about cancellation rights. Maybe they've been really bloodied in court lately.

Like you dfw I'd have expected a battle. Nice result.

Regards

Lantana

This is the letter I sent.... their reply was a VERY apologetic letter and a removal of defaults

Welcome Finance

Agreement no. 1475014

Dear Sirs

With regard to my alleged debt to your company, it has come to my notice that the documents sent to me after my request to view the original signed executed agreement do not seem to comply with terms laid down by the CCA 1974.

After being hounded and called endlessly because of missed payments due to unemployment, your representative came to my home and convinced me to sign a new agreement on the spot. This was done at my front door in the dark and NO terms and conditions were available to view. I felt pressurised and unable to refuse.

On further examination I have concluded that some of the statements on the document were also wrong.

In your agreement in the customer declarations it states that (d) you signed this agreement at our business premises. And (h) You confirm that you are in full time employment.

Neither of those statements were true as I signed at my home address and was still unemployed at the time.

Further the agreement does not seem to adhere to the guidelines laid out under the consumer credit act in that section 60 does not seem to have been complied with, in that:-

(a) the amount and rate of the total charge for credit (in the case of a consumer credit agreement), has not been shown

(b) the protection and remedies available to him under this Act

©there is no reference to the right to cancel

(d) the amount of loan appears to be wrong

As such It is now clear that the document does not seem to be a properly executed agreement within the meaning of the act. Therefore this agreement seems to be unenforceable.

As such I now require you to remove any and all defaults that you have placed against my account. If this is not done within 7 days I shall seek legal remedies and call into question your fitness to hold a consumer credit license.

I await your response

---------------------------

Dave

Dave

Hi

The agreement does have the total amount payable, interest rate, repayments, APR etc. so even if all necessary statutory statements are not present it doesn't look like one that would be totally unenforceable - only 'maybe' enforceable only with a court order, unless I've missed something obvious.

Out of interest, what was it that you challenged this agreement over, that prompted them to write off the debt?

Congrats. by the way!! :-D

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

read my prior post....you must have just missed it

the total loan was (if you do the maths) £2737.26 which is 36.99 * 74

this was not on the document

the total charge for credit was not on the document

The right to cancel was not on the document

It said I signed it at their office (I signed at home)

it said I was employed (I was unemployed at the time)

They added an acceptance fee before the interest

plus some other stuff

Dave

Hi again

Just read your last post and can see what you said about the amount and rate of total charge for credit. The omission of this alone makes the agreement unenforceable.

But, it did not need cancellation statements because cancellable agreements are only those in which the negotiations take place ON trade premises, but the customer signs OFF trade premises. Some non-cancellable agreements may be given cancellable status e.g. credit cards have, but it's not the norm. This is why the document tries to get your agreement that it was signed ON trade premises - so it would not be cancellable. Unfortunately for them they have c**cked up!. This is similar to the circumstances of my case a couple of years back.

Regards, Pam

Dave,

forgive my ignorance but what relevance does the fact that the acceptance fee is added before the interest (i dont understand what you mean and why)

Johnny

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

According to the OFT guidelines a cancellable agreement is

Cancellable agreements are those where a trader discusses credit arrangements (and/or the goods to be supplied) face-to-face with the customer and the customer signs the agreement off trade premises.

If this description is accurate then Dave's agreement should be cancellable.

Whatever the reason, Dave - well done. You must feel really good about the result.

Dave,

forgive my ignorance but what relevance does the fact that the acceptance fee is added before the interest (i dont understand what you mean and why)

Johnny

well if they add the acceptance fee FIRST the 6+ years of interest goes on that as well.... not a bad earner

Dave

According to the OFT guidelines a cancellable agreement is

Whatever the reason, Dave - well done. You must feel really good about the result.

WELL PLEASED......

just goes to show that there are probaly loads of agreements that are invalid, if you just take the time to look. I'm not advocating getting out of your moral obligations here, but they choose to ignore they law when it suits them and use the law when it benefits them. its time we gave them some back. My original quest was to enter into negotiations to remove an added £1000+ to the debt, but YES i am pleased a the result.

Dave

Hi, yes you're quite right - I stand corrected! :D

So. a complete b****up all round! Nice one!

Calling all W F customers - check those agreements! :roll:;):eek:

Regards, Pam

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

Just subscribing....Very intresting thread...relevant info...

I am a Welcome customer as well..already in the court stage Claiming PPI and Medicare insurances back...I have exactly same argeement as Dave..but i had signed it at the branch..The one thing is that on insurance declaration thay put me as a home owner-I wasn't and i am not...anyways, Dave, i would like to know what Mr S-n replied to the letter you had sent..I do not want to Haijack this thread..but everybody is more than welcome to look at my thread Itsme VS Welcome Finance. Dave is right they did put acceptance fee before the interest......etc

There is my other claim with Creation Finance:

My question is...if the account is closed but i am currently claiming the charges back and the company produced me only with copy of the application form "as an agreement" with only my signature....???? is it anything could be done about it? how can i present it to the company?

Sorry if the question is not clear..i am just trying to use recently acquired information i have found in this thread.

Kind regards,

Maria

Carphone Warehouse WON £195.00

Welcome Finance in Court. N244 accepted.

Barclaycard WON with contractual, PPI and charges for time spent and letters sent

Halifax solo, switch, Credit Classic, Halifax one Itsme Vs Halifax 2 accounts

Creation Finance Prelim received offer of £79.88.... Itsme VS Creation Finance

Vodafone overcharged Vodafon.. anything that could be done?

U know where the scales r:)))))

Hello everyone,

Just subscribing....Very intresting thread...relevant info...

I am a Welcome customer as well..already in the court stage Claiming PPI and Medicare insurances back...I have exactly same argeement as Dave..but i had signed it at the branch..The one thing is that on insurance declaration thay put me as a home owner-I wasn't and i am not...anyways, Dave, i would like to know what Mr S-n replied to the letter you had sent..I do not want to Haijack this thread..but everybody is more than welcome to look at my thread Itsme VS Welcome Finance. Dave is right they did put acceptance fee before the interest......etc

There is my other claim with Creation Finance:

My question is...if the account is closed but i am currently claiming the charges back and the company produced me only with copy of the application form "as an agreement" with only my signature....???? is it anything could be done about it? how can i present it to the company?

Sorry if the question is not clear..i am just trying to use recently acquired information i have found in this thread.

Kind regards,

Maria

Hi Maria

Glad I'm not the only one still not in bed!! :eek:

In your thread, you have said that there is a difference in the way the figures on your agreement add up.

Do you have access to a scanner so you could scan a copy of your agreement for me to see, either on this site or to my email address? You can use a programme called 'Photobucket' to upload the images (you'll find this by searching on the web).

Otherwise, could you post up in your thread all the different amounts exactly in the order they are shown on your agreement and what they relate to?

I would be interested to see the whole agreement really as serious errors 'could/may' have been made in it.

Regards, Pam

Hello Pam..waiting for the new printer-scanner..as mine has "died" a week ago...I can send you a copies from my camera......:)))))))))))Hopefully new printer will arrive monday-tuesday:)))

Ok...not sure about dave's agreement but mine has a T&C on the back...i believe it looks like legal and forceble...BUT...

With the agreement i have received a "Customer Declaration Form" and 2 Policy Schedules for the Payment Protection Insurances and Medicare 24- was missold as part and parcel of the loan...

Now..as Dave said they charged an interest on the acceptance fee...On the agreement there is no final amount of the payment..well there isn't the Total Amount (with the Interest,Insurances).. that had to be paid by the end of the agreement...It does give you the loan amount+ APR and monthly APR+ amount of months+ Insurances...But you wouldn't see the total to be paid at the end of the agreement...at all....

Next..In the "Declaration"(in black and white that i want to take those insurances) it says that the loan is secured.......I didn't have house that time...but as i didn't have a time to read..i had signed...a secured loan agreement.....:)

Next..when i asked them to cancel PPI and Medicare..they refused and sent me a copy of Policy Schedule with Different cancellation section...different to the one i received with the agreement...(that allows me to cancel Medicare only in 30 days)....Mine hasdifferent wording- cancellation on the request and refund

When i point it to them..they apologised, confirmed loan wasn't secured, cancelled Medicare and PPI... refunded £22.44(from £1146.36+ interest paid) anything...so now i am in court ...well nearly there:)) I have 2 month left with them...But i want all those money back

Phew:))))))))))Very hard...to explain my whole 3 month battle in single post...

Pam, i am more than happy to send you all the copies or to anybody else...

Any help with supporting my claim would be highly appreciated...:))

xxxx

Maria

Barclaycard WON with contractual, PPI and charges for time spent and letters sent

Hi

I understand that there are several issues with this agreement but the one that is likely to have the most impact is the way in which the terms of the agreement are shown - particularly the total amount payable not being present and the interest added after acceptance fee.

These 2 elements could be very serious indeed, but I would really need to see the documents for myself before I could give an honest opinion.

Post them up as soon as you can but don't forget to blank out all your personal details from them. (Or PM me when you're ready and I'll send you my email address)

Regards, Pam

Thanks Pam, will wait till the printer arrives...but really i can't wait:))) as i have only 2 payments left and 2 weeks for WF to submit there defence..I am glad i have found you guys here...Better late than never:))))Will PM you when i am ready with proper scanned documents:)))

Regards,

Maria