• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

stooby vs Barclays***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

ok, so I've been silent up to now, quietly reading several other claims...

my first letter was sent to Barclays on 6th Feb, asking for my £840 (which seems rather small compared to many other amounts being reclaimed here). This letter gave them 4 weeks before I would initiate court action.

The day I sent the LBA, I received the standard letter going on about how sorry they were that I had to contact them about the level of service blah blah blah... It said that they would contact me no later than 8th March (my deadline was 6th).

So, now 2 days after my deadline, I've received their letter offering me £360 as full and final payment

My next step, I guess, would be to write back to them accepting the offer as part payment, and informing them that I shall persue the remaining sum in the courts?

What I'm not sure on though, is should I start the court action immediately? or allow them time to receive the letter?

thanks

Stooby

I hope I haven't screwed things up already.

Firstly, when I say 'my bank' I am talking about my wife's bank - it's just easier to say 'my' instead of 'my wifes' all the time :)

The reason I waited the extra couple of days, was because I made the mistake of calling the bank on the day of my deadline. They told me a letter was in the post, so I decided to wait for their letter to arrive - even though it was 2 days after the deadline.

I've now found [thread=25716]this thread[/thread] in the templates section.

My deadline has passed, and I told them in the first letter that action would begin 28 days after that letter, with no further warning.

The letter from the bank offering the £360 said it was a full and final offer, and arrived after my deadline.

The way I understand it now, this is as good as a refusal of our claim. So we send them a copy of letter 3 in that thread and begin court action asap.

Or should it be letter 5 and begin court action as I post it?

Either way, we have to send them a letter, so if I get no reply soon I shall have to go with letter 3 - seeing as we haven't actually begun any court action as yet.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Basically, it goes like this: Preliminary letter, 14 days - LBA letter, 14 days = 28 days - if no repayment, file a claim.

You dont have to send a letter. You can if you want but if you are filing at court then they will get the message anyway.

Could you not give them a ring and see if you can haggle your charges to the full amount. Some banks do this if they know court action will be dropped on reciept of full payment.

If not then file ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 months later...

after breaking one of the rules set out in the FAQ (namely, don't leave things to the last minute) I am in need of some advice.

I've been away and unable to sort out the paperwork needed for the court until now. Perhaps it would have been better to have some late nights before I went away, but what's done is done.

We need to have our court bundle at the court by Wednesday (for a directions hearing on 13th June) but while we were reviewing things this weekend, we discovered there may be a problem with the amount we are claiming:

Excluding the 8% interest, we have claimed for 'unauthorized overdraft fees', 'unpaid items' and 'paid referral fees' which are fine. The one that concerns us is the 'overdraft interest' that has been claimed. This was just added from the account statements as a whole (ie. if a statement had overdraft interest at £1.37, we have claimed back £1.37 for that month)

If (as we believe) this is incorrect, can we drop or adjust these interest figures for our final court bundle?

here's a point I was wondering if it was worth adding to my claim:

Whenever we have money going in and out of our account on the same day, the bank always perform debits before credits.

If someone transfers money to our account, then their money leaves their account first. The money then sits in limbo for hte day, and we only get it at the end of business.

We have several occasions in our account history, where we have payments going out, paid referral fees going out, and more than enough money coming it to cover payment - all on the same day.

any thoughts on that one are welcome

another question:

one of the points in Barclays defence reads:

The Defendant denies that it is liable to the Claimant for the sums claimed and interest, as pleaded or at all. In the alternative if (which is denied) the said charges are unenforceable and constituted a breach of contract by teh Defendant, those charges which were applied to the account prior to 13th March 2001 are not recoverable because they are time-barred under the terms of Limitation Act 18980 in that more than six years have elapsed since the accrual of the cause of action.
The first letter was dated 6th February. Are they entitled to discount the charges incurred between 6th February and 13th March 2001 (anniversary of when the court action began)?

Stooby,

My advice to you is contact the Litigation Team at Barclays, tell them you have a court date, DO NOT let on that it is only a directions hearing, and they will start talking figures.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Stooby,

My advice to you is contact the Litigation Team at Barclays, tell them you have a court date, DO NOT let on that it is only a directions hearing, and they will start talking figures.

Thanks for the reply, Dar£n. My wife has tried to call a few times last week but not got any answer. We shall make a concerted effort to get through to them on Tuesday though.

Who would be best to contact in the litigation department? We have a Rosemary Treeves Brown dealing with our case, would it be better to try and speak to Krista seeing as she seems to get things moving when people speak to her.

OK, Krysta or Kate will be getting a call from us tomorrow.

But, we still need to confirm one thing about our court bundle, as this still needs to be with the court by Wednesday.

We have a court date of 13th June.

We've been told that this is for directions only, and will last 10 mins.

We have been given the small claims track 'standard directions':

each party must file and serve copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing, no later than 14 days before the hearing.

Our bundle consists of:

the basic court bundle

the McNamara interview

BBC Commission conclusion

Would we need to provide a 'statement of evidence' along with this? or is it required at a later date?

As our case had no AQ, we are a little confused as to where exactly we are with the case.

your court bundles, [note the plural] 3 copies, YOU, B's & COURT.

everything in here plus YOUR SOC's and CORRESPONDENCE.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/33060-basic-court-bundle.html

But if you call them Tuesday, you will prob find you wont need it.

get back as soon as you can so I can advise if you have problems,

My wife spoke with Krysta this morning.

Asked for a settlement, she said she can't offer one without verification of the figures from the accounts department. They are being rather slow, apparently!

Krysta says she can get these figures later today, so will send out a settlement offer by post this afternoon. When my wife asked for an email or phone call this afternoon too, Krysta agreed but said the offer would be with us a week before the court date at the latest.

Do you reckon it's fair if we call back this afternoon to see if she has had any joy from the accounts department? (if we haven't heard from her obviously)

I don't think it would hurt to maybe give her a call in the morning just to check that she got the figures and the offer went out, they're pretty busy at the moment.

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

• 2 weeks later...

YES! :D:D:D

We have the money in our account now!

My wife spoke to Krysta, and has asked me to point out how easy it was to speak with her.

We are about to send the notice of discontinuance letter to the court, with a copy to Barclays.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance, a donation will be on the way to the site next week.

I remember reading about a thankyou letter to send to the bank, for agreeing to settle this claim, but I can't find it. Can someone point me in the direction of this letter please?

CONGRATULATIONS...!!!!!

Thats brilliant news. :D :D

There are no letter templates for the thankyou. You can always make up. But to remember you are thanking them for THIS claim.

Dont forget to do the survey. ;)

• Haha 1

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

My wife spoke to Krysta, and has asked me to point out how easy it was to speak with her.

Could I ask you to post a comment for other members on this thread please

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good.html

I remember reading about a thankyou letter to send to the bank, for agreeing to settle this claim, but I can't find it. Can someone point me in the direction of this letter please?

You could simply send and email to Krys headed,"thank you"

I know personally that she is very stressed as she is the target point of all enquiries. she does appreciate gratitude