• Tweets

• Write to the IPC complaining that UKPC have not observed the requirements of PoFA . IPC  Waterside House, Macclesfield SK10 9NR Dear IPC, I am writing to complain about a serious breach of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 by UKPCM. I feel that as it is more a breach of the Act rather than not just  complying with your Code of Practice which is why I am bypassing your operator. Should you decide to insist that I first complain to your operator, I will instead pass over my complaint to the ICO and the DVLA . My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA. You will be aware that this is not the first time that UKPC have fallen foul of the DVLA and presumably yourselves. I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPC to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I would think that should be sufficient for the IPC to cancel your PCN though  you should await comments from the Site team before sending your complaint. Don't forget to include both PCNs.  
    • Hi DX, Sorry, fell asleep as I was up all night last night writing that statement. Yes, I attached the rest of the witness statement on post 50, bottom of webpage 2. That's the important part.  It looks like the lawyer who wrote Erudio's Witness statement does not work for them any more. So, I'll have another lawyer representing instead. Not sure if I can use Andy's hearsay argument verbally if that happens.... I did not put it in writing. Apart from not sending deferral forms, my main argument is that in 2014 Erudio fixed some arrears mistake that SLC made and then in 2018 they did the same mistake, sent me confusing letters. What is the legal defence when they send you confusing material?
    • Chinese firm MineOne Partners has been ordered to sell land it owns near a US nuclear missile site.View the full article
    • That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBMA /abbey credit card

jackster77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI Folks was wondering if anyone could help me out I got myself into financial diffs a few years ago -and I ended up getting my parent to take out a loan so I could pay of all my creditors - I got full settlements from all the lenders and talked to them re the lowest payment I could make to clear them

Everyone was great and I got some money knocked off and cleared the debts

All except MBMA/abbey credit card - basically I had a 1000 credit limit and had gone over this and charges kept mounting up and up etc I was paying them 50 quid a month but it wasn't making a dent in it.

So I ovffered them 950 to clear the debt (Which was around 1600 with all the inteest added on)

They agreed to take it as a settlement but in fact they took it a a partial settlement and its on my credit report as a default with a partial settlement I think this is totally unfair as all other companies took what i paid them as a full and final settlement and I Paid back mbma 950 quid plus years of interest and charges

is there any point in pursuing this to get my credit report cleaned up

I'd start by getting a full list of charges and also by seeing if you've any documentation that states your offer was a full statement (e.g. copies of any letters you sent them) and any correspondence back from them. Once you know what you can actually prove and what sums you could attempt to claim back you'll be in a better position to negotiate.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Hey thanks for that

I know on the phone that I offered them £950 for a full and final settlement but when their acceptance letter came out It stated that it was a partial settlement- I know I should have rung them and not accepted this - but at the time I had so many creditors and just getting there debts cleared was such a relief so i'm snookered that way but I have had excessive charges on that account so I think I'll do the letter thing requesting statements and take it from there

• 1 month later...

aaagh I just found the letter regarding my short settlement in 2005 and it gives my new address I wasn't sure If they had my new address but obviously they do and I gave them my old address which is my parents address can see major delaying tactics ahead from MBNA

hey folks advise wanted

its obvious at this stage that I am a complete novice at this thing - I forgot to sign my sar letter and I gave my old address and sent no ID

Should I just wait and see what happens and if they respond

or

should I send a new SAR along with another cheque with new address - and ID?????

I'm really such a doofis but just couln't contain myself and had that letter posted quicker than a flash!!!!!

MBNA - they are a laugh - I havn't signed my letter but they are still processing my request -

SAR Received April 3rd - so the 40 day countdown is on yipee

I asked them how much they had defaulted my for and it was for £716 so here's hoping that the charges add up to more than this and I can get default removed

When I calculate charges should I calculate contractual interest here as well??

HI there was wondering if anyone could help - my main priority is getting my default removed from my credit report and I've been reading quiet a few threads with regard to this and this letter below seems to be the typical way to go

After recently obtaining a copy of my credit file from Experian I was concerned to note that your company has placed a "Default" notice against my account

Further to this I have no recollection of ever receiving such a notice, and I therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number 1587 716732.

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to myself within the next 28 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that it is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

however I have a letter from mbna which says

06/06/2005

account xxxxxxxxxxx

further to your recent letter regarding the above account we can confirm that the offer of £900 has been accepted in short settlement of the above account

the offer is conditional upoin payment being received in 14 days from the date of this letter

Upon receipt and clearance of the payment we can confirm that no futher action will be taken to recover the remaining outstanding balance, which will remain registered as a partial settlement with the credit reference agencies for six years

Is there any point in sending them a letter asking for a copy of the agreement as I have the letter above - and persume this constitutes an agreement???

and does anyone know how I would request a copy of the original letter I sent them offering them a settlement as I'm pretty sure I offered the £900 as a full and final settlement!

thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

MBNA have untill 14th may to reply to my SAR

Sent them a reminder letter today along with ID and copy of original SAR and an explanation that I hadn't realised they had my new address etc

hope they stick to the original deadline and don't try to fob me of with another 40 days because of the mix up with the address

They havn't even sent me an acnowledgement letter :sad:

they are real ****s really. They have sent me a certain amount of information, but not all of it, they have gone well past their 40 days too, also they are on about day 22 of sending me a CCA, also very late... No acknoweldgement or anything for that one either.

Hang in there, and keep hassling.... Find some MBNA email addresses, there are a few mentioned on this forum, and hassle (politely) anyone you can... Just don't stay quiet...

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

thanks standing up for myself

I am going to give them to may 14th when their 40 days are up then start emailing - I have made a couple of phonecalls - which they have recorded (as they are able to tll me when I called them last)

have had two conflicting answeres from them

1) they have 28 day turnaround time

2) they have 40 days to respond

all I wanted when I phones was to ask why they had not even acknowledged my letter is an acknowledgement letter - think I might just send an email re this

oh boy I am hoping mad now

have just phoned MBNA on 0800062062

they say they have never received any SAR from me - even though in 2 previous tel conversations they said they received the letter on the 2nd April

they have asked me to send in another SAR - I said that I had already sent them in a reminder on may 4th May along with a copy of my original SAR

and they said they will send out a response within 5 working days of receiving reminder

should I file for non compliance if I do not receive a full list of charges by may 14? I sent the original and reminder letter my recorded delivery

any advise would be greatly appriciated

File for non compliance .............the muddle they're in at their end is down to them not you

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

has this happened to anyone ele - I received one page back from Mbna on Sat 12may - all that is on it is a list of charges - no tranactions or anything the total is £1198

can someone please help with my prelim

I made a partial settlement in June 05 for £900 I still owe them £716 but they are not looking for this money back

what I would like to do is pay them the £716 out of the charges - and get the information removed from my credit file - I have looked at surleybonds letters which are excellent - but my circumstances are slightly different as my credit file says - patial settlement not default so if anyone could help draft a prelim letter to incorporate the removal of this I would be very grateful

thanks

Jackster

:D Well as the amount they owe you is more than the amount you still owed them after the partial settlement I would think that you are home free as far as getting your CRA records amended. Send them the 14 day LBA and add in to it

"Furthermore as the balance you show as my still owing after partial settlement at the CRA's is completely made up of these unlawful charges I am also asking that you amend the CRA entries imediately to show settlement in full and no default."

Additionally you should be a wee bit suspicious about the lack of information they have supplied you with.............pursue it they probably haven't got a copy of a properly executed agreement with you in which case they will probably if pursued rigorously by you result in them having to write the 700 + off, amend records and refund you your penalty charges in full.:D :D :D :D

• Haha 1

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

thanks for that Josie8

I loooked through the charges and its pretty much two charges a month so I think its ok over limit fee and late fee charge total £50 a month - which is what I was paying them a month

I thought that if I sent for a copy of the CCA then if they couldn't produce it then it would have been just a case of them removing the information from my record and me not been able to get back the charges

so thanks for letting me know I can do both

will have a good look through the MBNA threads tomorrow - re CCA contractual interest etc - because I think with interest it will bring my claim to over £2000 which rules me out for the small claims court in NI

think I'll send of the prelim - and a CCA request

thanks again for your response

Jackster

I too live in Northern Ireland. I did claim CCI on behalf of my hubby's card, charges amounted to £1588, with CCI of £2000 approx. I reckoned that we would try to get them to settle over the telephone as they seem to do, awaiting call back at the beginning of the week. Even if they don't call back (which we will keep pushing for) they have already credited hubby's account with £680, which he made very clear in writing that he accepted as partial payment only. The way I see it three things could happen

• they will settle in full without court proceedings (here's hoping)
  • they will respond to LBA with further goodwill gesture which will bring claim down nearer £2k
  • we have to lodge court claim and forego about £900

Worth a try me thinks!!!!

glav:)

hi Glav

thanks for that - I was thinking of doing the same re the interest if I don't get a settlement on the phone give up the wee bit extra that goes over the £2000 mark

one last question if you don't mind, i had a read through your MBNA thread and saw that you are claiming for compound contractual interest - does this mean that you ask for contractual interest on each charge at a rate for example of 21.9 % then look for compound interest on each charge+ interest

I had a look through vamps spreadsheets and the interest at 8% am going to look at some other threads to see how you change the interest to the rate that applies to your card but would appriciate if you knew how to do it you could point me in the right direction

thanks alot

Jackster

I opened a google account, for free, and used Vamp's spreadsheet "Throughout claim with compound contractual interest", I found this the easiest, you change the interest rate to the one charged to you by MBNA, enter your charges in date order and the spreadsheet works out the interest for you. Check out the link below.

VAMPIRESS'S CHAMBER

If you want to pm me your email address I will send you a copy of my spreadsheet.

glav:)