Magnet trade

RedBern
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I ordered a pair of hardwood patio doors from Magnet - they were delivered and put into my garage. I was asked to check that the glass wasn't damaged - although the doors had shrinkwrap around them. They were fitted 2 weeks later and when the shrinkwrap was removed it became apparent there was a flaw in the wood - at the top of one of the doors there was a 2cm triangle along the grain - missing. The carpenter pointed it out as a flaw - not damage- and I rang the company. They said there were no more doors in stock - and anyway they wouldn't replace it. As I had a 6' x 5' hole in my dining room - (and it was a week to Christmas) I instructed the builder to carry on - and told the Manager of Magnet I would be fitting the door. I asked him could I buy a replacement and we'd argue about it later - but he kept repeating there were no more doors!

Anyway I contacted them by letter - had a standard letter back saying they weren't interested. I wrote to Head Office and had a letter from the MD saying he was disappointed I'd had to contact him (I hadn't I'd addressed it to complaints dept) and he'd instructed the local branch to 'do whatever to sort it out'. The next day I had a letter from the complaints department saying they were sorry but I hadn't notified them within 14 days of delivery so .. tough.

I wrote back asking for clarification of their stance (!) and have now been passed to a different dept and the man who's dealing with it has been on holiday.

Any advice on what to do next - assuming (as I am) that when he comes back off his hols he's going to repeat the mantra that they're sorry but there's nothing they can/will do...