• Tweets

• Hello dx100uk, After months of waiting for a response I finally got a reply and I must say it was the worst 4 months of my life the - fear of the unknown. So, they wrote back and said I was in the wrong BUT on this occasion they  would not take action but keep me on file for the next 12 months. It. was the biggest relief of my life a massive weight lifted -  I would like to thank you and the team for all your support
    • I have contacted the sofa shop who are sending someone out tomorrow to inspect the furniture. I suspect if anything a replacement will be offered although I would prefer a refund. Few photos of the wear in the material, this is how it was delivered.  
    • Yup, for goodness sake she needs to stop paying right now, DCA's are powerless, as .  Is it showing on their credit file? Best to use Check my file. All of the above advice is excellent, definitely SAR the loan company as soon as possible.
    • Hi all, I am wandering if this is appealable. It has already been through a challenge on the Islington website and the it was rejected. Basically there was a suspended bay sign on a post on Gee st which was obscured by a Pizza van. The suspension was for 3 bays outside 47 Gee st. I parked outside/between 47 & 55 Gee st. I paid via the phone system using a sign a few meters away from my car. When I got back to the car there was a PCN stuck to the windscreen which I had to dry out before I could read it due to rain getting into the plastic sticky holder.  I then appealed using the Islington website which was then rejected the next day. I have attached a pdf of images that I took and also which the parking officer took. There are two spaces in front of the van, one of which had a generator on it the other was a disabled space. I would count those as 3 bays? In the first image circled in red is the parking sign I read. In the 2nd image is the suspension notice obscured by the van. I would have had to stand in the middle of the road to read this, in fact that's where I was standing when I took the photo. I have pasted the appeal and rejection below. Many thanks for looking. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This is my appeal statement: As you can see from the image attached (image 1) I actually paid £18.50 to park my car in Gee st. I parked the car at what I thought was outside 55 Gee st as seen in image 2 attached. When I read the PCN issued it stated there was a parking suspension. There was no suspension notice on the sign that I used to call the payment service outside number 55 Gee st. I looked for a suspension notice and eventually found one which was obscured by a large van and generator parked outside 47 Gee st. As seen in images 3 and 4 attached. I am guessing the parking suspension was to allow the Van to park and sell Pizza during the Clerkenwell design week. I was not obstructing the use or parking of the van, in fact the van was obstructing the suspension notice which meant I could not read or see it without prior knowledge it was there. I would have had to stand in the road to see it endangering myself as I had to to take images to illustrate the hidden notice. As there was no intention to avoid a parking charge and the fact the sign was not easily visible I would hope this challenge can be accepted. Many thanks.   This is the text from the rejection: Thank you for contacting us about the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). The PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a suspended bay or space. I note from your correspondence that there was no suspension notice on the sign that you used to call the payment serve outside number 55 Gee Street. I acknowledge your comments, however, your vehicle was parked in a bay which had been suspended. The regulations require the suspension warning to be clearly visible. It is a large bright yellow sign and is erected by the parking bay on the nearest parking plate to the area that is to be suspended. Parking is then not permitted in the bay for any reason or period of time, however brief. The signs relating to this suspension were sited in accordance with the regulations. Upon reviewing the Civil Enforcement Officer's (CEO's) images and notes, I am satisfied that sufficient signage was in place and that it meets statutory requirements. Whilst I note that the signage may have been obstructed by a large van and generator at the time, please note, it is the responsibility of the motorist to locate and check the time plate each time they park. This will ensure that any changes to the status of the bay are noted. I acknowledge that your vehicle possessed a RingGo session at the time, however, this does not authorize parking within a suspended bay. Suspension restrictions are established to facilitate specific activities like filming or construction, therefore, we anticipate the vehicle owner to relocate the vehicle from the suspended area until the specified date and time when the suspension concludes. Leaving a vehicle unattended for any period of time within a suspended bay, effectively renders the vehicle parked in contravention and a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) may issue a PCN. Finally, the vehicle was left parked approximately 5 metres away from the closest time plate notice. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they park in a suitable parking place and check all signs and road markings prior to leaving their vehicle parked in contravention. It remains the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is parked legally at all times. With that being said, I would have to inform you, your appeal has been rejected at this stage. Please see the below images as taken by the CEO whilst issuing the PCN: You should now choose one of the following options: Pay the penalty charge. We will accept the discounted amount of £65.00 in settlement of this matter, provided it is received by 10 June 2024. After that date, the full penalty charge of £130.00 will be payable. Or Wait for a Notice to Owner (NtO) to be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle, who is legally responsible for paying the penalty charge. Any further correspondence received prior to the NtO being issued may not be responded to. The NtO gives the recipient the right to make formal representations against the penalty charge. If we reject those representations, there will be the right of appeal to the Environment and Traffic Adjudicator.   Gee st pdf.pdf
    • Nationwide Building Society has launched an 18 month fixed-rate account paying 5.5%.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Docdros v Abbey **** WON !!!!!! ****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, First of all may I say thanks to all who have posted. The info here has prompted me to begin my own action against Abbey to recover some £978 plus £135 in overdraft interest incurred. I am just about ready to send off my preliminary approach letter, but have a few questions beforehand.

1) The amount quoted has incurred since Nov 02. I would prefer not to wait for a DPA letter to recover further statements as I believe we did not incur nearly so many charges before this. However, I did have it in mind to make a claim for this earlier period should this action be successful. Is this possible or is this a "oneshot" situation?

2) The account was in joint names until Jan 06, when I took my name off the account. I am therefore sending correspondence in my Wife's name. Is this the correct approach? (She now also has a new account in readiness for nasty tactics).

3) Does anyone have experience sending the relevant correspondence by email or would posted letters be a safer bet? If I use email, should I follow up with a posted letter?

4) I am intending to post to this address:

Complaints Department

Abbey

PO Box 5129

Milton Keynes

MK9 2YN

Is this Ok or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any help. I will hold off sending the letter until early next week ( Mon/Tues 15/16 May)

Docdros

Abbey: £978 plus £136 in overdraft interest plus £200 estimated

12/5/06: Data Protection Act letter sent, recv.d: 15/5/06

13 mths statements recv.d: 27/5/06

Data Protection Act chq clears 30/5/06

31/5/06: Reply to microfiche letter sent

19 & 23/6/06: received microfiched movements

3/7/06: Sending LBA letter

20/7/06 Claim submitted online

18/8/06 Abbey defence and 50% offer received

21/8/06 AQ received (last date for filing: 9/9/06)

Hi,

The DPA request is intended to get much more than just your transaction details. Notes and evidence of manual intervention are equally important, and it is a good idea to be seen to be requesting this information. Having it to hand also prevents any nasty surprises.

This is not a one shot opportunity - you are able to bring another claim if information leads you to believe that you account has been abused by the banks previously. My own personal suggestion would be to go down the DPA route, and get information for the full six years. This will add 40 days to your timetable, but it will demonstrate to the bank that you are aware that you can claim for the full six years.

Regarding account names, I'm not quite sure, but it is the account you are dealing with rather than a named individual. If the account was in joint names I can't understand why you don't use your own name...but again, it shouldn't be a problem.

There is no harm in emailing the bank with queries and the like, but claim correspondence should always be sent by post, recorded delivery. That way you have a hard copy as proof should it be needed, and you are also able to track it and verify delivery.

Regarding addresses, it is best to send it to your local branch, or your holding branch if this is not local. Banks have internal processes that ensure delivery to the relevant department.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply Spiceskull. I'll go the DPA route as you suggest.

As to account name etc. I was just wary of being fobbed off by Abbey telling me that only my wife could deal with the matter, or somesuch nonsense, since the account is still extant and has reverted to a single account in her name only. If you think its not a problem then I am happy to deal with it in my name.

Point taken about hard copies. Will do so.

Thanks again for your advice. I intend to keep this thread posted as to my progress.

Docdros

UPDATE: posted off DPA letter by recorded delivery this afternoon! The die is cast!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I received 13 statements today, covering Mar 2005 to Apr 2006 (all of which I already have!), 11 days after receipt. All were individually wrapped as others have experienced and each had some annoying promotionals included! The cheque I sent has finally shown up on online banking and clears on Monday 30th. I am contemplating emailing Abbey to "nudge things along" i.e. remind them the clock is ticking and ask for further statements. Any thoughts? I am also unsure as to why not go ahead with the charges already calculated by sending the prelim letter. I have sternly forewarned the missus (who is too friendly and chatty by half!) NOT to talk to any naughty Abbey agents who might call, but to refer them to me and we both have parachute accounts opened and running so I am frankly champing at the bit to take on this fight! (Sorry about mixed metaphors). Any comments welcome

Docdros

Got our DPA fob off letter today. It seems to be subtly different from what others have received (with a couple of cunning changes), so I will repeat it in full below:

"Dears Mrs XXXXX,

Thank you for your letter dated 12th May 2006, which we received on 16th May 2006, requesting information on your bank account. I also acknowledge receipt of your £10 fee.

I would like to advise you that under a Data Protection Act Request, you will only receive the transactions that are currently held on our systems. Any earlier transactions have been archived onto microfiche, which is not covered by the Data Protection Act. These archived transactions will therefore not be supplied to you under a Data Protection Act request.

We can however supply details of the transactions held on the microfiche on payment of an administration fee. The fee is as follows: -

£5.00 for 1 mopnthly statement that has been archived

£10.00 for multiple monthly statements that have been archived.

It is clear from your request that you require the transactional information that is held on the microfiche records. In order to avoid any additional delays, we will therefore use the £10 that you have sent with your Data Protection Act request, as payment for the microfiche records that you need. You will receive these shortly. If you don not want us to do this please call us on the above number.

Ant transactional information that is held on our systems and has not been archived, will be forwarded to you free of charge, under separate cover."

the letter is "signed" by P.Speed, Business manager, Banking services.

Now it seems to me that I am being gently deflected away from the nasty DPA route to a BETTER way in which Abbey will fulfill my request "shortly". I also find it a fortuitous coincidence that my £10 cheque would cover their admin costs perfectly under this new way!

I am slightly miffed that they seem to be telling me what I wanted to spend that £10 cheque on, but I guess the banks know best eh?

Edit: After advice from Spiceskull, I'm gonna send the basic template letter, I was overly complicating things. I have, however included my intended addition and would welcome comments as although I agree with Spiceskull re: keeping things simple, it did seem this paragraph would allow people some hope of actually getting transaction info, without being deflected from a DPA request:

[end of Para 4 from standard letter]......I expect this to be provided within the time period for DPA compliance.

I do not appreciate your attempts to deflect me from my Data Protection Act request and your patronising assumptions as to how I wish to spend my money. The £10 cheque included in my original letter was for a Data Protection Act request, and any attempt to use it for other purposes will not be looked upon favourably. However, since you so kindly offer to send me the information I require via an alternative route, I am quite happy to send you another £10 cheque on the strict understanding that you can fulfil this offer within 21 days (a reasonable interpretation of the word “shortly” as used in your letter). If you cannot offer me this guarantee, I ask that you return the cheque. In any event, my Data Protection Act request stands.

Docdros.

I should warn them that you now consider that you are being charged £20 for a full SAR and that as this clearly exceeds what they are entitled to charge you by law, they should note that you will be sending a complaint to the Information Commissioner. (Do send this complaint)

Secondly when you make your claim, add the money that you have paid for the disclosure and make sure that you have itemised it as:

£10 SAR fee - obliged by them to incur this expense because of their implementaion of unenforceable charges.

£10 fee - unlawfully required in excess of the maximum SAR fee curretly permitted by law - you will have to quote the relevant chap/verse.

If you have to issue a claim in the court, at least you get it all down formally.

hi docdros,

i have also received the same letter from pam speed.

i am right were you are so i will be following you with keen interest.

i just posted my 2nd letter on wednesday ( they hadnt sent me the statements within the 40 day time slot. so they now have until friday ( next week ) to send them. i have received one years worth of statements but thats all. i have not sent them anymore as i dont want to complicate things and steer off the instructions i have been given from other members on the site.

if i do not receive the statements by fri next week i will be taking the next step. (ive got to do it one step at t time or i'll only confuse myself)

im hoping that i'll be one of the lucky ones who get their money refunded in full before stepping into a court, but knowing me i wont !!

good luckx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today I received a lovely letter from Ms speed re: microfiched " movements". Oddly she thanks me (or rather my wife) for a letter dated 8th May ,received on 10th May, when I didn't send anything on that date! Anyway:

"Dear Mrs. XXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated 8th May 2006 which we received on 10th May 2006 requesting information on your bank account.

We have used the £10.00 fee that you have sent with your Data Protection Act Request as a payment for the microfiche records that you need.

Please find enclosed the requested movements.

If you have any questions please call us on the above number.

Yours Sincerely

P.Speed"

Now, this letter is dated 19th June and I sent my template reply to the microfiche letter on the 2nd May. I also sent a prelim letter on the 15th June. Furthermore, the printouts enclosed date from Nov 99 to mar 00, when i asked for data from Jan 00, so not quite the data I need, even if I agreed to the £10 being used as it has been. Lastly, 10th May-19th June = exactly 40 days so if they can do it this way, why not via Data Protection Act?

Anyway, should I reply again or just wait for DPA expiry date (23rd june) and then start proceedings? Maybe a phone call to gee em up?

docdros

• 2 weeks later...

Typed up the following letter today. Will post on Monday barring any advice to the contrary:

"Sunday, 02 July 2006

Your Ref: 467707

Marc Winder

Head of Complaints

Complaints

Abbey

PO Box 5129

Milton Keynes

MK9 2YN

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Mr Winder

ACCOUNT NUMBER: 22054053

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond adequately to my letter of the 15th. June. I do not consider a standardised letter and a photocopied “Customer satisfaction” leaflet to be “sincere dialogue” as requested in my previous letter. I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £978 plus £136.36 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £1114.36. I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming.

Furthermore, I refer you to a letter dated 19/6/06 from your Business Manager, Bank services (Pam Speed), regarding my subject access request. I repeat my position in my response dated 31/5/06: The £10 sent to your company was in order to cover a Subject access request under the Data protection Act, 1988, not a payment for multiple archived statements. I therefore consider that you have failed to supply me with the requested information and will be taking action accordingly as stated in my letter of 31/5/06.

I therefore have included an estimated claim of £200 for bank charges for the period of May 2000 to November 2002, for which you have failed to supply me with information. This brings the total amount owing to £1314.36. I reserve the right to include interest charged on this estimated amount at a later date.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice. This letter has been sent by first class recorded delivery, and therefore should have reached you by 4/7/06. I therefore expect your reply by 18/7/06

Please be advised, I will ignore all offers of partial payments for these monies and am willing to pursue this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXX "

I then included a pasted copy of the spreadsheet worked up by Vampiress I believe (many thanks btw)

Re microfiched movements: I recieved more printouts about a week ago, covering Jan 05 - Mar 05, for which I already had statements and The previous printouts were for Nov 99 to Jan 00 so nothing of any use!

Docdros

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,Got a reply from Abbey today with the usual yadda yadda, just before I filled in my Moneyclaim form online (tonight). Am tempted to reply to the "relationship has broken down....close the account....warning with something like

" Since I have been forced to take this matter to County Court, I am currently reviewing my relationship with your company and may give you notice to close the account" (since we have both got parachute accounts opened and the Abbey o/d is not in use now).

They also offered to waive fees totalling £115 as a "goodwill" gesture (roughly 10% of claim) as we had not had any recent charges refunded. This makes me wonder from a legal viewpoint..... how can they offer to refund fees if they truly reflect their costs? How do they justify this to shareholders? (Any good as a legal argument, Mods and legal eagles?)

Anyway, I will be filling in the particulars of calim tonight and will post here later for tips/advice. Have been reading around but any pointers to useful threads welcome

Docdros

hey docdross, i filed today also, so when i said that i was at the same stage as you in an earlier thread i didnt think it would be this alike!!

good luck to us both eh!!

lisaxx

ABBEY

1/6 LBA SENT

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

Hi Lisa,

Yeah I meant to reply to you, but haven't been very active on the forum lately! How did you get on with the word limit on Moneyclaim online? Or did you take it into court? I'm also trying to figure out how to attach a statement of charges to my claim.

Anyway, good luck to you too!

:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry for being quiet lately, just got out of hospital after a nasty chest infection, leading to pneumonia!

However a few days after getting out I got my 50% offer from DLA Piper etc... Suffice to say I intend to politely turn them down, but before replying I had 1 question. When I first wrote to Abbey in May, I claimed charges from May 2000. However, the letter from DLA et al says the statute of limitiations means I can only claim after July 2000 (according to their offer letter) or June 2000 (according to their actual defence)?? So when does the 6 year limit apply from? First contact with Abbey? Date of online claim?

any help appreciated

Docdros

Just sent the following email to Paul Denham:

"Dear Mr Denham,

I aknowledge receipt of your letter dated August 18th., as well as a copy of your client's defence.

Unfortunately I must reject the offer of 50%. I will accept no less than 100% of the amount in question (including interest and all fees incurred).

With reference to your comment regarding interest on charges before 21 July 2000 (although confusingly, your defence actually refers to claims before 26 June 2000), since my first contact with your client regarding this matter was the 12th. May 2006, I have included charges dating 6 years prior to this date.

I have yet to receive my allocation questionnaire, and am aware of the fees involved with submission. I therefore invite your client, in the interest of saving them further costs, to settle this claim for the amount requested.

I would be grateful for an acknowledgment of this email and would be happy to supply any further relevant information on request.

I look forward to your reply

Docdros"

any thoughts/comments welcomed

(bu&&er! just noticed I spelled acknowledge wrong! Not v. professional!)

(bu&&er! just noticed I spelled acknowledge wrong! Not v. professional!)

I doubt he'll notice - Mr Denham is going to be very busy this week..:D

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06

Just wanted to ask this again as I could find no definitive answer on the forum search. When exactly does the 6 year limit date from, as my 50% offer from DLA Piper is querying my claim for May and June 2000. I included these months as my first letter to Abbey was in May this year, but can I only claim 6 years prior to the Online Moneyclaim date? I would really appreciate a reply as I need to fill my AQ and return it soon. I have emailed DLA Piper but had no reply as yet. Paul Denham is "out of office" until Thur 30th August, and the proxy he refers to (Jodie Bilsland) is not replying!!

Docdros

Docdros

The 6 years, should you choose to consider it relevant, starts from when you should or could have discovered the unlawful terms if your treating it as a breach of contract.

However, should you choose to you can argue that sec 32 of the Limitations act (not sure which subsection) says that if they made a mistake, ommission of concealed their charges were unlawful, then the Limitations Act doesnt apply.

Personally i will be arguing in court if needs be that the limitations act doesnt apply due to their concelament.

I dont think that concealment is an issue. They should have known the charges may have been unlawful from when the Unfair terms in contracts, i always get the name of that bit of legislation wrong, but the point is, it would be reasonable to expect them to have their lawyers review the legislation when it came out. Simply the fact that thye may have discussed whether the penalties may be unlawful, even if they decide not, they have concealed the issues as i understand it.

Its also relevant to point out that the OFT published their report in Apr 2006, and had written to 8 cc companies the year before.

IMHO even if you dont want to argue in depth about the limitations act there are several options including the one you expressed about when you first made onctact with them, which maximises your claim.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 months later...

Well, I checked our account this morning, and Abbey have credited us with just over £1800 as promised!

Looking back over my thread its been almost exactly 6 months to the day, I started on this journey. Although I have been a regular visitor to this forum, I haven't been the most prolific poster, but have gained invaluable help from the various people posting regularly and would like to thank stalwarts such as alanfromderby, LIP, johnni2bad, Whizzkid Lisamellor and Karnevil!

To anyone just starting this fight, I would suggest: read as much as you can on here, follow the steps recommended (I did and at each step the predicted response from Abbey was bang on the target!), don't panic about small errors and don't try to "over" communicate with Abbey. Stick to YOUR deadlines and let your actions speak for themselves. They WILL fold!!

Well no big plans for this money, except it pays off the overdraft and completes my "Year of Finance" leaving us debt free and able to start enjoying some of our income: planning to go on our first holiday for 3 years in 2007!

Any mods reading this, could you change my title to something appropriate. Cheers

Docdros

Congrats Docdros.

Its been a long fight for us but Im glad to have been of help.

Enjoy the money.

LIPxxx:D :D :D

ABBEY

DPALetter received by bank on 100406.

£10 Cheque cashed by shABBEY on 200406.

14 statements received between 8-10 0506.

40 day limit reached on 19/5/06.

LBA sent special delivery on 20/5/06

7 days up on the 270506 for the LBA

Prelim approach for repayment for an estimated amt sent. 14 days up on the 200606.

DPAorder for NON-Compliance served 220606. Expires 060706

Final LBA sent, 14 days will be up on the 060706.

Defence from shABBEY received for DPANon compliance 050706

Financial claim deemed served to shABBEY on the 220706

AQ for DPANon Compliance handed in to court on 24706

Defence and 50% offer for Financial claim received 140806

AQ for Financial Claim received 170806

AQ for finacial claim handed in 010906

Hearing 4 amended claim 270906

Fast track Allocation 270906

Disclosure ordered 191006

shabbey failed to disclose 191006

fantastic news eh!! glad to be of help

36_1_55.gif

just got my settlement 2 days ago also!

hope you stay on the site to help other people!!

lisaxxx

ABBEY

1/6 LBA SENT

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks