• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wentworth Direct Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stupidly applied to Wentworth Direct without doing any research about them first. Surfice to say that I too was duped by this company. After being offered a loan at 15.2% APR I was then asked for by debit card details so that they can 'check I have a UK bank account'. There was no mention of the £59 fee at any point during the conversation.

Anyway, I sent the following letter to Wentworth Direct :

Dear Sir / Madam

I am writing to request that you refund to me the £59 you have illegally taken from my bank account. I was informed by my bank that this payment of £59 was taken on Thurs 14th Oct, showing on my account on Friday 15th Oct.

When I originally spoke to your representative I was told that you had a loan arranged for me, although he would not tell me with whom, and that all I had to do was to complete the forms that would be duly sent out to me.

AT NO POINT was there any mention of a £59 fee, and I was actually conned into providing my debit card details as I was told that they were needed to ‘check that I have a UK bank account’.

As I am sure you are aware taking money from another by DECEPTION is a CONTRAVENTION OF THE THEFT ACT and punishable by up to 10 years in prison plus a fine.

Indeed, your credit broker licence dictates that you cannot in six months time ask for more than a nominal fee. Certainly NOT £59 and certainly NOT before you have provided access to a loan.

You have 7 days from the date of this letter to provide the refund of £59, and not a penny less, or I will be forced to pursue this matter with the OFT, Financial Ombudsman, Small Claims Court, Police, or any other means at my disposal.

Yours Sincerely

I then backed this up by immediately contacting the Financial Ombudsman who also sent a letter on my behalf.

Imagine my suprise when I only 1 week later I received a text message from Wentworth Direct advising that my refund had been processed and would appear in my account with 5 working days.

This was on Fri 22nd Oct, so I am expecting to receive a refund at some point this week. I will advise when the funds actually appear in my account, but it's certainly promising.

I would advise anyone looking for a refund from these crooks to follow the same procedure I did....

have had the misfortune of dealing with this company this year ,they told me they wouldnt take the £59 till i had agreed to it.but they needed my bank details and card for security reasons . dont fall for it they took my money and i could never get a hold of them for a refund .they keep you on a premium phone line for over a hour ,then tell you they cant do anything and you have to write to them.

they are not a lending company they just search loan databases for you ,i had a company contact me on there behalf and offer me a loan if i was a home owner ,which im not so the whole service is a shame. for any of you who have been caught by them and wish to get a refund ,contact your local trading standards agency (they know all about wentworth direct). after A couple of weeks of trading standards dealing with it i had my refund back from wentworth direct .so i would urge anyone else to do the same.

Hello to everybody.

A friend of mine was riped by this company and ask me to help him somehow. Here is a link to action must be take about those. See: https://sites.google.com/site/scamwentworthdirectcouk/

I did follow all steps required by low in such a cases,my bank manager, consumer protection (tel: 08454040506 ) , police, even contact the host ( of the website wentworthdirect

hosted by: http://www.easily.co.uk (tel: 08000723636)

to ask them to check those scams and shut them off from web. the answer I get is there it is not complaints registered against those scams.

There is same [problem] company running on network more then 5 websites -owned by same person), all registered on the UK servers.

International Consumer Protection and Enforcement Network (ICPEN) recommend some steps. More then that, I did send a info to http://www.google.co.uk/privacy.html to check about it.

The banks did not considered as a fraud running by those [problem] wentworth direct. The only way to get the money back it is an action.

This forum it is just one of many, I do contact all of you to registry into a same place to have the right number of all those fall into this [problem] runn by went worth direct

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heidi82

Have you had any sucess getting your £59 back? The same happened to me this week. They said that the card details were only for identity check. I specifically told them that I am not interested if you will be charging me with upfront fee. Either way they did without my authorisation and I am intending on taking them to court if they ignore my letter or do not pay back my money. I will never stop and I will do everything I possibly can to teach the bastards a lesson.

Well done all of you for following your gut feelings and getting your monies back. The OFT tell me that they are unable to recommend compensation for misdeeds by some of these companies, but believe me one hell of a lot of pressure should be put to trading Standards who can do a lot more than the OFT themselves to make them refund EVERYONES £59 automatically, not just those who ask for it.....this is what irritates me intensely about these rip-off merchants. I had .03p taken from my bank account in interest for unauthorised overdraft despite not going into overdraft. I wrote to the FSA and the bank to complain and explain and the bank said it was a 'technical error'. Oh Yeah?, well a technical errors apply to everyone's account and this is a high st bank with hundreds of thousands of current accounts. Multiply my 3p up and see what that equates to. How many people complain about 3p or even notice it? Profitable little business if you can get away with it. Same as these Wentworth lot, how many £59's do they keep? Wish I could come up with an income earner like that!

My bank now have a banner heading on my account " Don't feck with this fellow, he's in Cag and the Cabot Fan Club and ya don't feck with the Cabot Fan Club! :lol:

Edited by andrew1

Speaking of dodgy brokers, does anyone know of case law where someone used an unlicenced broker for a loan and took the broker/finance company to task over it?

Sorry to hi-jack.

I wrote a strong letter to Wentworth Direct Finance copied it to their companies house registered office and Mr Anthony Grant Clayton's mother address as she is one of the directors. The Financial Ombudsman also wrote to them. The same day they received all the letters which was yesterday, they telephoned me apologising and today I received a cheque for the full amount. It seems that the stronger and ruder you are with them, the better chance you have for getting your money back!!!

Getting to the stage where 'm going to go down with a clown mask and a gun, I'm sure i'll get the £59 back plus £2 interest for stress caused.

Phoned em up, got the rates in which THEY said THEY would charge me for having a loan with THEM, told them wasn't paying a penny to them until Ihad the £2000 in my bank, they said "of course, we wouldn't do that unless we had your full permission".

Next day £59 cam out (which stopped me getting Fifa 11, hence the anger). Phoned them back, no response.

Never been involved with cowboys, thought they died out years ago, but it appears they are going strong, as are the pirates from Somalia

• 2 months later...

I applied to these people, and they accepted me for a loan of £3000. They tooke the £59 brokers fee, and sent me the necessary forms to sign etc. Today, I received a text message from Ralph Marlon Loans, saying that Wentworth had passed my details onto them, and providing I could get a guarantor who is a homeowner, my loan would be accepted. I emphasised to Wentworth that I COULD NOT get a guarantor etc, and they said 'no problem'. So now, i've lost £59, sent copies of my driving licence and bank statements to Ralph Marlon, and am back to square one !!! :-( I am far from happy to say the least.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The same has happened to me, I was called, offered an excellent deal on a loan and was told the paperwork would be sent out. They said no funds would be taken until a loan agreed. Got the letter through, realised it was a [problem], and phoned them to advise not to proceed, they asked if money had come out I said no, they said they would delete application and no funds would come out.

Guess what??? They took the money the next day and also sent my details to their fake company Ralph Marlon Ltd. I contacted them and was told to follow their refund policy, advised this is not a refund as unauthorised and I wanted an immediate reversal, no joy.

Bank were the same, they say that by giving my details I had entered into a contract, I disputed this and they are treating as a dispute, but still no money back yet.

Today I have got a case registered with Kent police (their local force - I highly reccomend you all do the same), the financial ombudsman (they sent a letter), and OFT (the OFT have just received a super complaint through from CAB regarding this matter http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/markets-work/super-complaints/cita) if this has happened to you, now is the right time to make a complaint. Don't let them beat you, I think that things are going to change in this industry very soon, and the more noise we all make, the faster it will happen.

If anyone wants help pursuing this matter let me know as I do not want them to [problem] another penny!

Thanks guys

James

A while ago I made what I thought was an 'enquiry' online with this firm. A few days later I received a letter saying that my loan application had been accepted, and asking for a broker's fee of £59 to process the application. Since I had given very few details on the 'enquiry' form, I thought this a little fishy, so called the number on the letter to get more details.

I asked the lady who answered if I had indeed been accepted for a loan because I didn't want to pay an admin fee and then find that there would be a further approval process to go through. She told me that, as long as I took my loan through their lenders, the loan was indeed guaranteed. She then offered to take my payment details for the fee over the phone. I declined, saying that I would prefer to wait until I had received a letter to confirm in writing what she had just told me. Unsurprisingly, no such letter was forthcoming.

Some weeks later however, I received a letter saying that my loan was still accepted, and that the fee had now been dropped to £45. I again called the number to speak to an advisor. I said that I had a loan acceptance letter and would like to take up the offer.

This time the first thing the lady said to me was, "Do you realise that we cannot guarantee a loan?"

Seems they are learning...:!:

was apologised to and told i would receive a refund in the next 3 days, I'm not sure what the next 3 days counts as because its now been 3 months.

I love the way you phone the complaints team, always number 30 in the queue, that goes down quickly enough to number 5, then you remain at number 5 for ages, then 4, dont get me started on the amount of minutes i spent at number 2

ive just been bumped 69 quid "brokers fee" too. not only that but i have 500 spam emails in my inbox from this company selling my details and getting about 5 txts a day from similar companys.

having just read the terms and conditions (i know i should have read them FIRST but ive been so stressed about my finances lately i wasnt thinking clearly) i see that i "have given my permission" for them to earn comission from passing on said details. what a dodgy practice that is!

nor did i realise that monies could be taken from my bank account just because i ticked a box on the interweb!

according to one of the spam emails i am now in some members club that will take a fee of £79.95 from my account every month. i have never even heard of this company! most of the others are saying that my request has been approved - what request?

looks like im going to have to close my bank account of 25 years.

tried phoning yesterday until i read some of the stories here. was never getting an answer anyway.

as we say up here - they are at it! (putting it mildly)

how long are they going to get away with this ? they are just a teeny weeny bit within the law but these laws need changing. have now written a very brief letter asking for a refund.

also spoke to financial ombudsman. almost called the police! they actually waited 'til i had money in my account then they pounced yesterday.

anyhoo lesson learned and please people read the bloomin T's + C's!

thx to the posters on here for info!

all the best peeps!

managed to get my refund after writing another letter.

Hilariously the cheque from them was sitting on my hallway floor while was accidently, once again hung up on by their refunds team after a 40 minute wait.

Writing in is the best policy. By rights, according to the office of fair trading, they have to issue you a refund if they haven't got you a loan within 6 months. This was 8 months after they took my money.

Lesson learned, never again

managed to get my refund after writing another letter.

Hilariously the cheque from them was sitting on my hallway floor while was accidently, once again hung up on by their refunds team after a 40 minute wait.

Writing in is the best policy. By rights, according to the office of fair trading, they have to issue you a refund if they haven't got you a loan within 6 months. This was 8 months after they took my money.

Lesson learned, never again

how many letters did you write macca? were they all sent recorded or what mate?

ive just written - please refund the £69.00 you took from my bank account on *date* stating "i dont want a loan or any of their "services" and to remove and delete any of my information they might

have. quite terse, no niceties or that. **** 'em.

cheeers

Had a call from this firm of cowboys after I had applied for a loan of £1000 with a different company :shock:, I was very suspicious of the way the were conducting themselves so gave them an old savings account card details, with only a few quid in it!! :-D:lol: Just for good measure I cancelled the card on the account right away....little taste of revenge for all you poor ripped off people :whoo:

Cant wait to see this "paperwork" when\if it arrives...even dick turpin wore a flippin mask!!! :roll:

Hi,

I am unfortunately deeling with this company right now, I've sent them letter asking for a refund,

a few days later i recieved a letter from them saying i could have my refubd if i send them I.D and a pay slip to verify my net earnings.

Why would they need a pay slip if im getting a refund, is this dodgy?. Any ideas of what i should do next would be very helpfull.

Thanks

Report them to the OFT, they are not in a position to have your payslips nor any other ID, they were quick enough to take money from your card without you actually knowing, they should give it back.

Write to them again stating

I wish to have my refund, no other identification is necessary as you already have the card details. If this is not received in 7 days from the date of this letter court proceedings will be instigated without further warning and all costs will be added to the claim value.

Your company has been reported to the following organisations

Office of Fair Trading

Trading Standards

and I will have no hesitation to involve the police.

Yours

• Haha 1

I'm glad I read these posts as I just applied for a loan of 1,000 pounds and got a call to say I have been accepted and can have a loan if I pay 69 pounds admin fee to come out of my bank on 28th of this month April 2011 so now I'm gonna cancel the direct debit before it's due to go out, I had a feeling it was dodgy. Thanks everyone. Michael.

I'm glad I read these posts as I just applied for a loan of 1,000 pounds and got a call to say I have been accepted and can have a loan if I pay 69 pounds admin fee to come out of my bank on 28th of this month April 2011 so now I'm gonna cancel the direct debit before it's due to go out, I had a feeling it was dodgy. Thanks everyone. Michael.

I'd try cancel it ASAP as they don't waste anytime in taking it out, It's getting it back that's the difficult/time consumining part!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks