• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wentworth Direct Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anybody know anything about these, they are based in Gravesend in Kent.

I recently returned a loan application form "just for the hell of it", it was a fairly basic form and asked me for very little info.

The application was for an unsecured loan for £8000 over 48 months. My credit rating is appalling so I was very surprised today to recieve a letter which states, "We are pleased to inform you that your application for a personal loan has been accepted by our underwriting department".

They are now asking for a £49 "brokers fee" which I should return with the "Loan approval form" which states a "typical APR" of 15.2%.

I know this is high, but it's much better than the 29.9% I'm currently paying for my car loan and will save me around £75 a month on my current deal.

Any thoughts/comments/experience with these people?

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it. You will lose the £49.

The rick with outfits like this is that they won't source a loan until they've banked your cheque. You may get a loan offer but it will probably be much, much higher than the "typical APR".

Don't they have a legal obligation to tel me this?

I have to admit it's because the application form was so simple to fill in that I became suspicious especially since it's an unsecured loan.

I too paid the £49 for a loan FOR which they informed me I had been accepted. However, after waiting ages for lenders to contact me and many phone calls later, I was eventually informed that I had been "declined by all their lenders", but they put me on to their debt management people who keep phoning me. I shall apply for a refund of my £49 but shan't hold my breath. I was also taken in in the same way by Advantage Loans - WILL I EVER LEARN? If they ask for money, don't touch them with a barge pole!

• Haha 1

Marian G

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess that if they are above board finance brokers they should be regulated by the financial services authority. If you search for their name on the fsa website, (you guessed it) - NOTHING

susanmom

Halifax £2256 LBA 22/5

Accucard £80 LBA 22/5

Intelligent Finance £507 LBA 22/5

Intelligent Finance card £170 LBA 22/5

Citicards £175 LBA 22/5

CapitalOne £220 Prelim 22/5 £60 refunded

Cahoot Loan £90 settled in full

Barclaycard £72 LBA 22/5

Paragon Personal Finance £1701 Prelim 16/5

Very much as I suspected. I binned the paperwork long ago anyway after a brief conversation with them.

I offerd them double the fee if they could get me a loan on reasonable terms and pointed out that if they were genuine, and were going to refund my money anyway they had no tangeable reason to turn down my offer.

They then said that the cheque was "for identifcation purposes", I told them not to insult my intellegence as a cheque for 49p would have served the same purpose.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Considering they do not offer loans why would they turn anyone down. All you are doing is getting them to act as a broker. They don't care what your credit rating is like as long as you can stump up the £49.

Don't quote me on it but I think legally they can only keep about £6 of the fee if they do not get you a loan.

One thing I find a bit fishy is if you do a google search for Wentworth fianance one of the loan review sites comes up. Last year the vast majority of reviews were poor. Now it's at least 50/50. This is very surprising considering most people would believe this company is offering them a loan until they read the small print and actually asked the question "are you offering me a loan or offering to act as a broker."

• 1 month later...

When will people ever learn?

Wentworth Direct Finance are quite simply motivated by greed. They have absolutely no moral fibre and target the vulnerable with their aggressive advertising.

These people border on the right side of breaking the law - just!

Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. A festering cespit of greed

• 2 months later...

I filled in an online form for a loan of £1000 and they phoned me back asking for a £49 admin fee, stating I had been accepted for the loan. I double questioned this and she stated that her name was Sara and she was positive I had been accepted. They took the admin fee from my bank even though I havent signed anything, but no loan has appeared in my account despite promises that it would be in within 24 hours, or the admin fee would be refunded.

I cant find any phone number for them and the one I have is never answered. I thought id write to them as it seems the best way but I have no address...they have never sent me any paperwork so what is my next move?

Please help!!!

• 2 months later...

finical service ombudmans and your bank...still have to wait for finicial ombusdman for 8 weeks so best wack a dispute in with your bank like lloyds tsb or who ever you bank with, that way you can get it refunded and they have to deal with a raging bank manager and finicial ombudsman on behalf of the bank claiming their losses while you enjoy life with a refund, only works if you paid with credit card or debit card under the office of fair trading guidelines 177 you are allowed a full refund if you had no products of service if they say you are not allowed any money for 6 months tell em shut up they can by law keep a fiver as the guidelines say in the office of fair trading for brokerage if you dont have a loan or service or anything you are entilted to a refund regardless of a fiver but better then having it

i am having problems with them but i have the oft bank and fsa involved, they keep hangin up on me but there are numbers they say write and claim they aint had nothing but i have sent the letters for investigation to the f.s.a who have copies proven i have written them. and its not looking good for this shoddy brokage with a bit of luck. also got them as unuthorage account usage with lloyds tsb as they rung me saying they have a loan for me but the "dippy" salesman said he needed verfiy my card to prove it was me and i have that recoreded, so in fairness i got them by the balls, not allowed tranactions on my accound and one for me, u wanna try it good fun!! :)

I filled in an online form for a loan of £1000 and they phoned me back asking for a £49 admin fee, stating I had been accepted for the loan. I double questioned this and she stated that her name was Sara and she was positive I had been accepted. They took the admin fee from my bank even though I havent signed anything, but no loan has appeared in my account despite promises that it would be in within 24 hours, or the admin fee would be refunded.

I cant find any phone number for them and the one I have is never answered. I thought id write to them as it seems the best way but I have no address...they have never sent me any paperwork so what is my next move?

Please help!!!

Please help!!!

I too was sucked in by a company like this. They promised the earth - all for £49 and guess what ? I didnt get a loan either !!

I rang and asked for their address, and wrote in asking for a refund due to them ' not delivering what was promised ' , failure to do so would result in me reporting them to the FOS. Not long after that, I received my refund by cheque.

Check if you have a correspondance address and get writing !!:)

Forsure

** One woman crusade against the rip off lenders ! **

• 5 months later...

This company are crooks... they told my partner that no charge would be taken until after a loan was received and he stupidly gave them debit card details. The following day we received a letter saying we had to pay £59 before we got a loan and I called them and said we weren't interested and that they were to take no money from the card.... they the money out about a week later, just before close of business on the friday so i was unable to try and sort it out until the monday. DO NOT USE THEM.

Wentworth Finance bombard people, some of them financially vulnerable, with marketing email.

My partner receives a constant flow of email offering loans from Wentworth or their partner firms.

In short, they disgust me.

Sorry im unsure how to start a new thread, im currently trying to stop wentworth Direct taking £49.00 out of my bank, i rang my bank but they told me its "Pending" and cant be stopped, the payment is due to be taking tommorow, or Midnight tonight, I have been on hold for over an hour with went worth direct with no luck, if my bank cant stop the payment do i just let them go ahead and take my money???

The reason for stopping this payment is they sucked me in and made it all seem great and now i have just realised this company is actually a broker and not a loan company.

i have also just been scammed by these people took 59 pounds out of my account a day early phoned them this morning and was told to write to their refund dept. i just wish i had done some looking into these people first it just seemed so easy

Assuming that no loan is forthcoming, send a letter to their refunds department demanding that they return your money within seven days. On the eighth day send a letter before action giving them a further seven days. On the day after that period has expired issue proceedings.

From the terms and conditions on their website:

Under Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004 you have a right to cancel your application within 14 days of receiving these terms and conditions and receive repayment of the fee. If you wish to cancel your application, you must write to Wentworth Direct Finance notifying us. In this event the amount will be returned within 30 days of the date on which we receive your written request to cancel your application. You the client may also, at any time, within six months cancel the agreement if you so wish, in this event the brokers fee will be refunded to you within a reasonable time, not exceeding 30 days, from the date of cancellation in writing, minus a £5 admin charge.

By using our services you are also accepting that Wentworth Direct Finance are not only entitled to receive your broker fee but also receive commissions from lenders or loan agents for processing your loan. When we are referring to our loan approval form, the term approved is a general approval on behalf of ourselves as a broker to those customers who meet the basic underwriting criteria accepted by our lenders either directly or through our loan agents. The APR that is advertised and or stated either verbally or in a written format. within our correspondence is our typical APR. The repayment figures advertised and or stated verbally or written within our correspondence are based upon our typical APR.

=======

In other words when we tell you you're approved your not really approved. We simply mean that you meet our criteria (you have a pulse). If you pay us our fee then we'll find out whether any lender will take you on and they will apply their own criteria.

The T&Cs also set out your right to cancel but they are mysteriously silent on what happens if they don't manage to get a loan for you.

How this company stays in business is beyond me.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks