• Tweets

• Hurrah! We got there.  After asking four times about the defence you've answered. To win this you will have to be a hell of a lot more pro-active and get reading up.  The standard defence is on every single claim form thread here. So first task for the evening. Go to  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/393251-received-a-court-claim-from-a-private-parking-speculative-invoice-how-to-deal-with-it-hereupdated-dec-2021/ Scroll down to  Q2) How should I defend? There is the standard defence. Change (6) into (7) and add a new (6). 6.  In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. Get if filed this evening.
    • OK, relenting on my above irritated post ... It's worth defending it.  At the very least they are likely to offer a deal. Plus  PE have added two completely invented amounts.  The £100 charge has morphed into £125.  Then they've added £50 legal representative's costs although they have no legal representative.  Even if it went all the way to court and you lost, the  judge would likely disallow the made up £25 + £50. Please fill in the sticky as dx asked. Then dx will be on with details of how to defend.
    • Quite interesting that the Conservative East Midlands  Mayor candidate doesnt mention conservative on his promotion LOL   but he does claim that he, a Conservative politician, is the man to fix the 14 years of Conservative devastation of the region - inc 'fixing' problems inc the utter devastation of the roads, bus and train services that his party have  imposed   Must all rotate around the meaning of fixing he actually means .. fixing noun dishonest activity to make certain that a competition, race, or election is won by a particular person:   .. or perhaps he just means 'fixing' - preventing change
    • Yes, absolutely normal for them to waste everybody's time and money by asking for more time – which they are entitled to do, of course – but it is simply a waste of time. They use prepared template defences. They know they are in the wrong but they simply want to make your life tough because they don't care about you. However do keep an eye out. You never know there is just a 1% chance that they could miss the deadline in which case you should apply for judgement immediately.
    • Will check back in when the SAR from MCB is back and get advice on how to raise the formal complaint and what to say x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

34Flipper vs Abbey

34Flipper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I have moved so often in the last few years I don't actually know what branch my account is registered with. Does this actually matter when it comes to sending in my letter for the infomation of bank charges.

Furthermore, I actually have two bank accounts with Abbey. Should I write two seperate letters or just one for each of them?

Thanks for your help. This is excellent news for me.

Paul

Letters sent for two accounts 8/03/06 - 40 days= 17th April

Reminders sent 5th April (along with cheque) 12 Days to go...

Rang Abbey 1600 18/04/06 asking where info is....

Sent Letter to Infomation Commissioner 18/04/06

586rJKEE4

Thanks, my apologies for not posting the above code.

Paul

Letters have been sent, I look forward to posting the results.

I am so looking forward to sorting Abbey out, I have just had a look at my bank balance and a couple of days ago I went 8p overdrawn, I transfered £150 into the account on the same day and I have amazingly been charged £50 in total for this misdemeanour!!!

£20 clearing visa payment

£30 unauthorised overdraft

My thoughts are unprintable!!!

Terrible! :x

i get charged £20 for going over limit, do they have different "tarrif's" for different accounts?

Good luck let us know how you get on!

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

Hi yes, I know what you mean. The other day I spotted a cheque presented on my account that day taking it 40p overdrawn, so i paid in cash immeadiatly to make sure it cleared, I thought!!! but when I checked the next day, they still bounced the cheque and will charge £35 me for their pleasure AND £20 for going 40p over my limit! I'm just waiting for back statements so i can get my ball truly rolling.

Good luck, and by all means keep in touch

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have just written a reminder to Abbey as it has been 28 days since I wrote my first letter. It may also have something to do with the fact I never sent a cheque in the first place and I thought I would hedge my bets, tell them they have 12 days left and include payment so they don't send me a reply on the fortieth day asking for some payment. (I'm not letting the buggers get away with that one......)

The reason for the post thought is, who do I make the cheque payable too? I know this may sound like a daft question, but, I'd like to make sure I get it correct so they cant stall any longer.

Thanks

Paul

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you should make cheques (or postal orders for that matter) payable to the name of the bank.

In your case, Abbey National PLC

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I too sent my inital letter without the £10 payment and Abbey didn't reply. I went into the brach and asked to fill out the form for subject access, this is did and gave them a £10 check. I think this is the quickest way to obtain the info if you are able to get into a branch easily.

Put the shortest name possible - ie Abbey National, any department within Abbey can cash it, and as they are the bank, they can do (and do) whatever they want, they can cash a cheque made out to anyone they want.

As in a previous post, I mentioned that if you made the cheque to Elvis, they would probably cash it.

You could just ask them to take the £10 DPA fee as a charge on your account? lol ;)

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 40th day from my original request for all information. This morning I received the last 12 months statement on one of my accounts. I have just come off the phone from customer services and I now know that I should receive the rest of the info by the end of the week.

I ended up speaking to a manager to find out the name of the agent I spoke to because he wouldn't tell me his full name - 'there has been security breaches' - and I have to say he was nothing but pleasent to me.

I have been avidly reading all post's on this site and its strange that some people have been turned down (subtlely) for their DPA requests and although a little late I have been assured that its all in hand.

However, they have gone over the forty day deadline I gave them.......

It seems I now have a letter to send to the ICO.

Guest Lueeze

They could be using stalling tactics with you like most banks!

They send you 'some' statements but not the right ones or to the wrong address or some are missing!!!:rolleyes:

Lodge a comlaint anyway! They must be shown they are not allowed to do this to people!

90 days is loads and loads of time to print off statements!

Ok, I got my reply this morning from abbey about one of my accounts (3 days late!) Some of the text reads...

'Some of the information you have requested relating to transactions on your accounts, is no longer held on our systems ans therefore, an admin fee is required. The fee will be as follows:-

£5 for monthly statements which has been archived.

£10 for multiple monthly statements, which have been archived.

The transactional information remaining on our systems will be forwarded to you, free of charge, underseperate cover'

The rest of the letter is about 'manual interventions' and what they think it means blah blah blah

My questions are:-

Does this mean I may have to pay £5 for each monthly statement (two accounts) going back 5 years? (got 12 months of statements for one account so far)

Could I just send them a letter estimating costs' for both accounts? (I haven't a clue what they may be, but if I claimed £5k for each they would soon get their act together and tell me what they really were)

Any help appreciated.

Paul

(Yes I am informing the ICO for non-compliance of DPA!)

Edited because I forgot to say the reply was from Pam Speed

My questions are:-

Does this mean I may have to pay £5 for each monthly statement (two accounts) going back 5 years?

It's a NO to that one.

See THIS article relating to their other arguement, in relation to info stored on microfiche. I think it may well be the same arguement as yours.

Could I just send them a letter estimating costs' for both accounts?

You could, but I'm sure that yo will get the info you need, so you might consider waiting until you have the facts. It's always YOUR choice though - everyone here is just offering advice, that's all.

Good luck.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We had all years bar 1 so that one was estimated (whilst awaiting the DPA request reply) at the highest of all the other years. Abbey were informed about this. We have told them the DPA request is as yet unacknowledged and if it is not complied with we will submit the claim as it is and point out the situation to the Courts. We have stated that the Courts are likely to require an explanation as to why they have not complied with the DPA request.

This is in addition to the report we intend to make to the Information Commissioner.

Good work.

You do seem to have things in hand :-)

Thanks for your replies. How does this sound?

I have amended the letter as they did not provide the info within 40 days.

Pam Speed

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey National plc

Abbey House

201 Grafton Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

20/04/06

Data Protection Act disclosure request

Dear Pam

Account Number: xxxxxx

I am in receipt of your letter dated 13 April 2006, outlining that you could only provide me with printouts covering recent transactions on my account, because any earlier information has been archived. (*I also acknowledge receipt of the information you forwarded.)

My request was for a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account since 07/04/00 – in short, a list of charges with dates and amounts – alternatively, a complete set of account statements for that period will be acceptable. This should be retrievable from your accounting systems, and easy for you to produce. I will accept a computer print out of these transactions.

I am aware that you have been willing and able to provide other customers with a print-out of transaction information covering this period – and am ready to bring this to the attention of the Information Commissioner. I would also draw your attention to Smith v Lloyds TSB Bank plc (2005) EWHC 246 (Ch).

This letter has been sent by first class recorded delivery, and therefore should have reached you by 24/04/06– as you will be aware, as of this date you are seven days late in returning all the information requested by me set out by my original schedule as stated by my letter dated 13 March 2006. I therefore, have no option but to report you to the Information Commissioners Office for non-compliance of a DPA request.

As stated above, a complete set of account statements for the period in question will be acceptable; however, I expect this to be provided to me within the next seven days or I will estimate my costs and start county court proceedings against Abbey.

Should there be any further attempts to delay compliance, I will be left with no alternative but to escalate this matter to the County Court under s.7 and/or s.13 Data Protection Act

Yours faithfully,

Paul Dolphin

The only small part I'm not too sure of is if you should be indicating that you will go straight for the court option without first sending the Prelim or LBA.

You should confirm this point before including it in the letter - maybe someone else can offer that advice ( hint hint to mods :-) )

Other than that, just remove the dash between "period – and" in the third paragraph, the comma after "I therefore," in the fourth paragraph, and include an apostrophe in "Commissioner's Office" a little further on.

Yes, that's me - Mr. Pickygitwhoneedstogotobed

Cheers

Don't worry 'Mr. Pickygitwhoneedstogotobed' I don't mind being corrected.

How about this as a final paragraph??

'As stated above, a complete set of account statements for the period in question will be acceptable; however, I expect this to be provided to me within the next seven days or I will have no choice but to estimate all charges against me.'

Super.....

Then include "and I will be forced to give you a Chinese burn".

It works for the Mafia!

Super.....

Then include "and I will be forced to give you a Chinese burn".

It works for the Mafia!

Glad you agreed, I had already printed them out. Thanks for your prompt reply. You can now go to bed!!!!! :-)

This morning I received a the letter acknowledging my complaint and saying they will investigate my complaint.

Now last Friday (21st April) I sent this letter below to them;

I am in receipt of your letter dated 13 April 2006, outlining that you could only provide me with printouts covering recent transactions on my account, because any earlier information has been archived. (*I also acknowledge receipt of the information you forwarded.)

My request was for a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account since 07/04/00 – in short, a list of charges with dates and amounts – alternatively, a complete set of account statements for that period will be acceptable. This should be retrievable from your accounting systems, and easy for you to produce. I will accept a computer print out of these transactions.

I am aware that you have been willing and able to provide other customers with a print-out of transaction information covering this period – and am ready to bring this to the attention of the Information Commissioner. I would also draw your attention to Smith v Lloyds TSB Bank plc (2005) EWHC 246 (Ch).

This letter has been sent by first class recorded delivery, and therefore should have reached you by 24/04/06– as you will be aware, as of this date you are seven days late in returning all the information requested by me set out by my original schedule as stated by my letter dated 13 March 2006. I therefore, have no option but to report you to the Information Commissioners Office for non-compliance of a DPA request.

As stated above, a complete set of account statements for the period in question will be acceptable; however, I expect this to be provided to me within the next seven days or I will have no choice but to estimate all charges against me.

Yours faithfully etc etc

The problem is, when I originally sent my request (8/3) I didn't include any money. In the reminder letter that I sent (5/4) I did include the money.

As far as I am now aware that means the forty days started on the 5th and the fortieth day ends on the 8th May.

So, should I still follow through with the letter dated above? Should I just accept that I made a mistake and wait until the 8th?

Sorry if I have waffled a bit.

What should I do now. Any advice appreciated.

I have sent the letter to the ICO as well....

Hi, I know you guys are very busy with all the questions, but, any ideas what I should do next???

Thanks for you help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks