• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg 'prove' manual intervention.

Walksonwalker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SO after my S.A.R letter I have eventually received a reply from Egg. As well as all my statements, they have also included dozens of screen dumps from computer terminals with their staff logged into them. As well as this, they have a list of all the members of staff, their hourly rate of pay, how long they worked on the administration for my being over limit and finally, how much it cost in total for all of this.

Doesn't this kind of prove manual intervention on their behalf in all of this. If so, all the arguments used against them, kind of fall to pieces.

We know they intervene on accounts and some of it must be manual.

Do they show that the cost of this intervention on your account is matched by the level they have been charging you?

For example, the GMB reported in January of last year that the average hourly wage for men and women in the UK was £12.50 per hour.

Taking into account employer contributions, the cost of plant, offices, power and being much more generous than Egg will be towards their staff, let us suggest that it costs double that per employee per hour.

Using that example, have they shown you that for every £25 that you have been charged, one hours work has been done on your account?

Out of interest, what do they claim it has cost them?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Does seem worrying ....Suposse it depends if they can prove how long the staff were on the screen for and that they were actually doing work - you could log onto a screen then go for lunch....Will be interested to see other views on this.

All comments are my personal views - if in doubt then seek professional advice. If you think i've helped then please tip my scales.

We know they intervene on accounts and some of it must be manual.

Do they show that the cost of this intervention on your account is matched by the level they have been charging you?

For example, the GMB reported in January of last year that the average hourly wage for men and women in the UK was £12.50 per hour.

Taking into account employer contributions, the cost of plant, offices, power and being much more generous than Egg will be towards their staff, let us suggest that it costs double that per employee per hour.

Using that example, have they shown you that for every £25 that you have been charged, one hours work has been done on your account?

Out of interest, what do they claim it has cost them?

£18.95 was said to be the cost incurred. Apparently one person working on it called Ema Clayton spent one and a half hours on it doing something. :S

£18.95 was said to be the cost incurred. Apparently one person working on it called Ema Clayton spent one and a half hours on it doing something. :S

Poor Ema Clayton!! She seems to do everything!! She was the person who made my first offer of £4 per charge & then made my final settlement offer & also sent the letter with my cheque.

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

As someone with a work background in computing i'm extremely skeptical of this.

The screen dumps:

Are we talking a list of who was logged into a computer and at which time? In this case how can they prove they were working on your account?

If it's a screen capture of what they were working on, are we to believe that they monitor ALL employees taking screen dumps of what they are doing every couple of seconds. If so, that's laughable because the amount of storage space they'd require to do this would be massive - and we are talking about a financial institution here with share holders.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

I used to work for egg and can confirm that yes anytime someone logs into a customers account there is a log created and they are supposed!! to leave a contact log stating exactly what actions they have taken on the account - this is for audit and compliance purposes. They have 2 computer systems a front end where users details like password etc is kept and all logs are stored, and there is a backend system which is the financial system. The costing piece must be new cause never heard of that before. There are no screen captures unless they capture them and send them for scanning - egg have a paperless system (or did) whereby they can have all corresponance scanned and held in the system and can be recalled by any authorised user (this is managed by a 3rd party company). Hope this helps.

Matheos, as an ex egg employee can they work out the duration they would spend on a customers account from these details?

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Unless they have had a major change I dont think they can as like you or someone said they could be logged in over lunch from memory it just stamps in and out and records some process like sending of preprinted docs, completing app for etc . Other notes ie non recorded process should be left in the contact log. and I state SHOULD as most didnt used to!!

Have to state though I have not been there for 2 years now so they could have had some software changes

A written statement by yourself stating the problems in what Egg have produced would be invaluable to all people claiming against them.

Though it does depend on whether you had to sign a confidentiality agreement of any kind, and if so what it applies to.

Hi all

Aren't Egg violating their employee's data protection rights by issuing documents containing their names and wage levels??

Just a thought!

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Hi all

Aren't Egg violating their employee's data protection rights by issuing documents containing their names and wage levels??

Just a thought!

Regards, Pam

Yeah. So am I probably by printing them on a web forum. Ooooops!

A written statement by yourself stating the problems in what Egg have produced would be invaluable to all people claiming against them.

Though it does depend on whether you had to sign a confidentiality agreement of any kind, and if so what it applies to.

I could email you photographs of what they have actually sent me if that would be of any service to you. I would appreciate it, however, that they are only for your own use and not to become public.

I find it very hard to believe that someone was actually working on my single payment failure for one and a half hours!!!!!!

I mean a good type setter could have set up a type face in that time, before the days of PC's!

I work in IT too. I think the screen dumps would not be good evidence on their own unless they can prove when they were taken etc, as already said.

This is very odd unless as was said they take screen shots everytime anyone does something. This would take up a huge amount of space but is possible with a lot of servers. If they do this as a rule why has no-one else yet received this?

Providing a list of staff and their hourly rates of pay is extremely dubious. I'm very surprised they've done this - when I work on payroll systems I have to sign agreements not to mention salaries to anyone, not even other employees. It's a sackable offence.

This may be a new tactic after them being taken over by Citicard. Whether it's good enough in a court remains to be seen.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I'd be tempted to get in touch with the Information Commissioners Office stating that they've broken the DPA act by giving name and wage details of their employees.

If you need the complaint forms get in touch.

Not just one employee's name. There are a few. I won't mention any more. One thing that does annoy me is that they have sent out more oodles of paper with all MY personal info on. Including name, address, DOB, account number, email address, account password [for God's sake!] etc. Anyone could have gotten into my account with those details.

As for the screen dumps, I think they are to prove manual intervention, but I am starting to think that no one with a bit of common sense would think that a member of staff has to sit there for one and a half hours doing admin work on one automated letter.

I would definately complain to the ICO, forms are available here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/56482-having-problems-getting-your.html

It's quite incredible that they would send your password in open mail, and even more that the would devulge their employees names and how much they earn a veilled attempt to justify their costs.

As for the screen captures they can verify that your account was being worked on at a time or date, but not the duration of work being done on them.

Matheos95 could be invaluable in helping if he is able to provide a statement.

I'll further back Enron and TC with a 'I also work in I.T' (Software Testing) and I think this stinks to high heaven :mad:

For the kind of work, I also find the rates questionable especially if we are talking perm staff :rolleyes:

No way on earth would that sort of process take 1.5 hours - and I bet they have targets for the number of customers they deal with in a day

NcF

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Are the screen dumps on different dates, or on the same date to prove that they were working on the account for a certain period?

I think if you took the number of staff, the number of failed DDs, overlimit accounts etc per day and the amoutn of time they say gets spent on each item it won't tally up. They would probably need thousands of staff to spend an hour or more on each thing.I was thinking last night you could call customer services and say you received details of staff names and wages, and wanted to check if this was correct as it concerned you. Let the office grapevine do the rest.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I was thinking last night you could call customer services and say you received details of staff names and wages, and wanted to check if this was correct as it concerned you. Let the office grapevine do the rest.

Good call, the union reps (assuming Egg dont ban unions which they probably do) would go absolutely off it. Good start for Citibank, a staff walkout for Egg disclosing sensitive and personal information re staff to the general public.

Are the screen dumps on different dates, or on the same date to prove that they were working on the account for a certain period?

Various dates and times with various user names of staff logged onto an application. Then there is a box at the top with various activities that have been carried out.

I would be content to argue that the screen dumps are not accurate evidence as to how long an Egg employee worked on your account. It only indicates that a specific task has been done.

In fact you could argue that multiple accounts could be worked on during a specific period of which yours was one.

If Egg chooses to name names of staff and hours spent on one individual case, they are inadvertently opening the door to external audit and challenge. Are they saying the one account in question was exceptional, or typical of all their accounts which triggered punitive charges.

If Egg is saying the below:

(Egg expense incurred per account) x (number of accounts)

= (total of puntive charges levied by Egg)

I would think quite a few accountants and lawyers and judges and the OFT would be delighted

to audit and reconcile Egg's figures against the P&L breakdown from their balance sheet filed with Companies House.

Thank you, Egg management, for your offer to transparently defend the "estimated" and actual costing of your punitive charges.

Various dates and times with various user names of staff logged onto an application. Then there is a box at the top with various activities that have been carried out.

Even so, correct me if I'm wrong, but surely just changing the system date/time on the PC would produce these results also? Screen dumps are far too easy to fabricate - I don't think they'd stand up in court - and if it gets that far, take a laptop in as evidence (if they'll let you) and change the system time while you're there with a couple of screen dumps too ;-)

Who gives you Xtra? :confused:

=========================================

HALIFAX PLC

PAID IN FULL - £1799.20 31/10/06

Round 2 - Prelim sent 29/06/07