• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

URGENT help required - Barclays Business Account

alumb05
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am writing for help on behalf of my partner and her business partner. I'll try keep this story short and please keep reading as any help and advice is very much appreciated.

They opened a business 3 years ago as hairdressers and to cut a long story short it didn't go to plan and they ended up closing the business at the end of August 2006. During this time they had financial problems and went into the red. The bank charged them on numerous occasions and they then had a meeting with their Account Manager. This person appeared to be very helpful and said they would stop charging them to let the get back on their feet. They did a great job and turned things around but as soon as their account had cash in it the bank took £350 and wiped them out again! This is when they decided to inform the bank that they were closing the business.

Whilst the business was open they had to get out a £1000 loan to clear some debt and then after the business had closed the wonderful business manager told them that interest would stop being put on to their business account to give them a bit of a breather if they paid off the loan. They did this but now, with no warning or threats they have sold the debt to a debt recovery company. They didn't receive any phone calls or letters until my partner got a letter to her home address saying they have 7 days to pay up over £3000. This morning she has telephoned the Debt recovery company who have said they basically just have the figure and no details of what it is all from (the figure seems to be much higher than what they actually owed, even though I know the debt recoverers will of added to it). She then phoned the bank and spoke to the business manager who has said they can't do anything or even get into the account to look at it because it has been closed. There must be some way of seeing what has was paid off and getting all the outstanding statements that were never received between the business closing and now.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? I am going to go through their statements up to the business closing and start with claiming their charges back but is there anything else we can do? Is it right that they can't access their account now because it was closed last week? Don't they have to show proof of what is owed before sending a letter saying you owe us £3000? Please help!!!!

Aaron

I can only sympathise as I was forced to close my salon down last year due to Barclays and their high charges.

Was this loan in the form of an authorised overdraft or an actual Business loan agreement?If it was a loan there would be a seperate account number for this.Did any correspondence get posted to the business premises and has been overlooked?Was the post redirected to the home address?

There should be statements of charges regarding the Business account per quarter (advanced notification of charges) , surely they would have queried a business loan not being paid and then they would have sent a Default notice if the business loan fell into arrears?

Someone will be along to help sort this mess out I am sure,who knows much more than me-I can only go off what has happened to me regarding business loans and accounts but will try and help in my own little way.

Fabi :-) xx

Thanks for the response and sorry to hear about your business.

I believe it was a business loan but as far as i know they have put all the debt together and sent it to the Debt Collection Company. I asked the same thing but they told me that there was no post sent to the business address relating to their account. Their business manager knew they had closed the business so i can only assume she would of asked for a forwarding address (but now knowing how much they like to rob you, that may be doubtful!!). The thing with the business loan is that it was paid off. From what i have been told, their account manager told them to put enough money into their BUSINESS ACCOUNT to clear the loan and she would then take care of it. I'm guessing this never happened and it is why the debt has been passed to the debt collection company. I know at least half the money was paid to the account to clear the loan because i paid it from my personal account!

Can they actually do anything though if they have not been sending correspondance. Surely Barclays or the Debt CollectionCompany have to show some sort of evidence, how can they expect us to pay all that money without seeing what it is all for.

Today, she has ordered all her statements since the business started and they should arrive in a couple of days to the Branch in Halifax. I can then take a look through and i will hopefully have a better idea of what has been going on.

Thanks again for the advice

Aaron

I think once the statements arrived and you have sifted through-things will be a lot clearer.When closing a business,there is so much to sort out that you end up confused in a mountain of paperwork.

At least if you paid some of the loan from your personal account,you can trace that and confirm the transaction.

I lodged a complaint with Barclays Head Office regarding the way my business account had been dealt with.Some kind person on here directed me to a link about the Business Banking Code,which is an interesting read-it may be beneficial for you to read it too (the link is on my thread)Write a letter to customer services with all the info in it,quoting the relevant sections of the Code-maybe tell the debt collection agency that the account is in dispute too?This way they know you have researched the problem and know how the manager SHOULD have responded when the business started to get into trouble.

More reading for you then-good luck!

There are plenty of business people on here with complicated problems,so I am sure you will get the help and support you are looking for.

Fabi :-) xx

I thing the first step would be to insist on a meeting with this supposed "manager" (use word of that word in this context always make me laugh) and demand ALL the relevant paperwork - default notice, all relevant statements, deed of assignment of the debt (if it ever actually existed)

You also need to contact the DRA and get all info off them too.

This is the best part....... We have called the business manager and she has said there is nothing she can do now, the account is closed and the debt has been passed, nothing to do with her now!

Can you believe that? I have been thinking that after all this is sorted out I might go and hand out leaflets outside their branch telling people about this site and what they can do to get their charges back. I'm sure there would be plenty of interest and they would wish that they co operated!!

Have they actually "sold" the debt to the collection agency or are they acting as an agent to collect any debt?

the "manger" does not know his/her ar$e from her elbow.

Have you done a Subject access request. If not get one done asap and INSIST on all data, documents, letters etc being sent. They must have this on file and don't accept any BS over this.

When you submit the SAR (to the data controller at bank), I would name said "manager" as refusing to cooperate with your request for essential information. Send a copy of the SAR to said manager "for her perusal and records"

Revenge is a dish best served cold

You can send a request to the debt collection company from the library here:

Firstly, you must supply me with a true copy of the agreement you refer to in this matter. This is my right under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 - your obligation also extends to providing statements of account.

I enclose a £1.00 postal order in payment of the statutory fee for the account as above.

I also require that you supply signed true copies of the Deed of Assignment of the above referenced agreement. ( they do not have to send this bit to you but you should get this from your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to the bank)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the CCA 1974.

Then if you sent an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to the Bank this will show more information.

If you feel there are lot's of charges to claim back then, if the bank sold your debt you will get back the charges without deduction as I understand things. If the debt collection ppl are working on behalf of the bank then , tell them it is in dispute due to the charges your claiming back. This will stop any legal action against you, again this is my understanding but may not be accurate.

If any wiser ones disagree please say so!

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Hi

I have got a copy of the Business Banking Code and i will go through that and see where thay have failed then add this all into the SAR letter (unless you think it would be best as two seperate letters).

I found out yesterday that 'Central Debt Collection Services' are a part of Barclays so maybe they haven't sold it on yet. I think the first letter they have sent is just a scare tactic. It's a good thing there are places like this where you can find out how to fight back!! I also called them last night to sort a few things out and let them know that i would be sending a letter requesting a copy of our Credit Agreement. To be fair, the guy i spoke to was very helpful and is arranging to have that sent out. I am still going to send the letter, just so it can be put on record.

CrispDust - I was going to send a copy of the SAR and any issues with the Business Manager to the following address:

BARCLAYS BANK PLC

ONE CHURCHILL PLACE

LONDON

E14 5HP

This is the address which our bank has registered with the Data Protection Commissioner as the address of the Data Controller:-

Information Commissioners - Data Protection Public Register

Are you saying that i should also send a copy of the SAR and any issues with the Business Manager to the Business Manager at her Branch, or even address it to her Manager? Just want to confirm before i send it to both.

Thanks very much for your advice everyone, it's been a real help :-)

Thanks Nevos, i should have all that stuff ready tonight plus the complaint letter about the Business Manager (quoting the Banking Code).

I had not started trying to claim the charges back until now which is after they have closed the account and sent the debt to their 'in house' debt recovery people. Will this give me any problems or should i still be able to tell them that i am in the middle of a claim against the bank for charges. The thing i am a little concerned about is that i will be starting trying to get back the charges after the account has closed and any recorded delivery letter i now send will show a later date than the account closure date. Does any of that matter anyway, can you still claim on closed accounts?

The Business Manager told us after we paid off the loan (or at least thought we paid off the loan, they are claiming we didn't) that she would then freeze the account becuase we had closed the business and then she would get back to us after Christmas 2006 to discuss a way to pay off the overdraft. She said the account would be frozen and no further interest or charges would be put on it. She lied!!! I am still waiting to get the statements so i can see exactly what has gone on since the closure of the business but i'm sure all sorts will have been added to the account. The biggest problem with this part will be that she only told us everything verbally in our so called helpful businees meetings with the Business Manager. I wish we had everything in B&W on A1 size paper!!

It will be interesting to see what they send us about correspondance they have attempted with us becuase we have not recieved a thing since the business closed. We are pretty certain nothing went to the Businees Address because anything that the landlord gave us after was nothing of any importance. They definately had our personal addresses to send us any sort of letters to ask us to start paying back the overdraft because when they really wanted the money their Debt Collection Service knew exactly where to send the letter!!!

Anyway, i'll stop waffling on, don't want to bore you tears :D

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can somebody please tell me what the following is

'Bus Essentials'

under the Type field for Barclays it says it is a CHG which I presume stands for charge.

I am completing the 'Complex Bank Charges Calc' spreadsheet and i am going to claim for the following, please let me know if i can not claim for any of them:

Bus Essentials

Commission

Unpaids Out

Interest Charged

Thanks