• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Swag Bag v Yorkshire bank.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Not been on for a while... Hope you`re all well...

I received a reply from Yorkshire bank 13 days ago, this was in response to my LBA .... briefly as follows...

Re: Reopening your complaint

I refer to your recent letter and as requested I have reopened the complaint and a further review is being undertaken.

My understanding of the further issues you have raised are as follows:

• Initial complaint not fully investigated
  • no refund of charges levied to the account

I hope to respond to your complaint shortly. I will write to you as soon as possible, once I have had the opportunity to review the above.

Please be assured that every effort is being made to bring your complaint to a satisfactory conclusion.

Just to confirm, is my next action to to issue a `court claim` through moneyclaim online..

Had a quick look at this site, and theres an eight step form to fill in,

one question was " what is the defendents address," would this be my local branch ?

Theres also a box to fill in at the end, saying ` particulars of claim .` Is there any standard reply for this and do i include my spread sheet with interest on at this stage..

Also, It may seem a silly question but how do i send, this filled in form ..

Do i print and send it, and where do i send it to......?

Or is there a form that you can pick up fill in and send off ( that may be easier for me )

Sorry if iv`e confused you, but i`m a bit stuck.....i`ve never done anything like this before......Hope someone can HELP me out here..

Cheers.......Swag Bag..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Swag,

Yes start a claim now, put your branch as defendant, There are POC's for the N1 and MCOL in the Bank Templates library,

I used the N1 and took it into court, there is more room on the N1 for the POC, you can download the form here. Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home

Good luck with your claim.

Moss.

Hi, Thanks moss,

I ended up going to the local courts to pick up a N1 form.

It`s all complete and ready to take in with £120 court fee tomorrow.

Just to confirm, theres three identical claim forms to fill in ( one for me, the court and Yorkshire Bank ) along with this i attatch a POC with each claim form which i down loaded from the library, and also a copy of my spread sheets which now include 8% interest.

If all is correct then do Yorkshire Bank have 14 days to reply...

Think i`ve got it right, just need some reasurence, ....Thanks......Swag Bag

Hello again,

You just got me wondering now moss, do i hand all three copies over to the court. I thought i would keep one for my reference.

Made an extra copy just in case ..

Cheers Swag Bag..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Every-one..

Just to update you on my claim....

Court papers were served on 5th april

Today i received two letters from the postman

Letter 1) FROM THE COURT STATING :- That acknowledgement of service has been filed. On the 5th April.

The defendant has responded to the claim indicating an intention to defend all of the claim.

The defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim form with particulars of claim, or of the particulars of claim, to file a defence.

The acknowledement was filed by the solicitors acting for the defendant who have given the following name and address for service of documents.

Clydesdale Bank

Legal services

PO Box 43

40 St Vincent Place

Glasgow

G1 2HL

Letter 2) FROM YORKSHIRE BANK.

Basically saying that the banks position is the same as before.

That they are aware that i have already logged POC with my local court which takes precedence over the banks complaint department.

If i am unhappy with the way that this has been handled or the outcome i can now complain to the Financial Ombudsman within six months from the date of the final response letter.......

and attatched with this is a leaflet about the Financial Ombudsmon.

Is this normal Yorkshire bank procedure, ( no offer yet )

and what must i do now....... :- Do they have 28 days from the 5th April to file a defence..

Is there anything i must do mean time ?

Thanks, you help would be gratefull......Swag Bag..

Yes looks normal, they have 28days from the 5th April to submit a defence which they will leave to the last day or so, then the court will issue AQ's, so you could check out filling in the AQ and the proposed Draft Order and don't forget to include a request for disclosure of CYNtheSYS

Hi moss,

Thanks for your guidence through this you`ve been a star,

Just a little question, you mentioned "don't forget to include a request for disclosure of CYNtheSYS"...........What is this ?

Thanks Swag......

Cheers for that zootscoot,

Just a quick question for any one.

I am claiming back charges from 2001 to 2007.. no problem there....

However i have held an account with Yorkshire bank from around 1981,

When i have finished this present battle and won :) . Can i claim for the previous 20 years ( will they still hold my statements after so long ).

This could be a big claim if i can get hold of them..

How far back can you claim ?.......Cheeres Swag...

Theoretically you could go back to 1981 but the chances of getting statements back that far are slim. Debt Mountain mangaged to get his statements from 1996.

The best thing would be to get the statements and add the charges on to the existing claim. It could be a little more difficult claiming if all your charges are pre-six years.

All the best

Zoot

Hi Moss just thought you may like to know you can always phone the court with your case number and ask what is needed for the next step - I found them very help full. Although this site has just about all the info you need and a load of great people...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone..

...... UPDATE.....

I have just recently received the defence papers from Yorkshire banks legal department signed by K. Ross ( dispute resolution solicitor ).

Of which a copy has also been sent to my local county court.

..........Two days later an " Allocation questionaire ( N149 )" arrived for me to fill in and send back by 21/5/2007. ( accompanied with £100 )

I`ve filled it all in bar Question G.. ( other information )

For this do i just copy the template for `draft order for directions ` obviously with my own details attatched to it ? On a seperate sheet of paper........and put "see attatched sheet" in the box provided for section G..

Also if this is correct, should i send a copy of this ( draft order ) to Yorkshire banks legal department or just let the court make the next move ?

......Thanks for any replys...... Swag Bag

Yes swag that is about right - I put in that the issue is only whether the money levied by the defendant in respect of the customers contractual breeches exceed their actuall costs. Add the template draft order and also ask in a note for the bank to be ordered to disclose CYNTHESYS..

GOOD LUCK................

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I`ve handed my AQ form into the local court, and sent Yorkshire banks legal team a copy of the draft order that i gave the court as well..

Just to confirm :- In the draft order which i sent.........it says as follows..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

• a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

• b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

• c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

• d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

A) I think i have this ( the schedule of charges plus 8% )

B) So must i now make photo copies of the sixty bank statments that i have...... another 60 for the courts and another 60 to send to YB.

C) What do i need to put for this ?

D) Is there any thing that i could copy to cover this ?

I don`t want to miss out at this stage now, the 14 days will be up by the end of the month...... Had no offer yet....should i expect one soon....how will YB play this ......

Sorry for all the questions, but theres almost £2000 of my money thats been taken hostage by YB and i want it back.. :smile:

Hi Swag Bag,

A. This is the same schedule you used for your prelim but now with the 8%

B. Yes

C. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionnaires-3.html post 55 and don't forget CYNthesys

D. I used the basic court bundle

As to what YB will do next is any bodies guess !! the only thing you can be sure of is if you stick to your guns you will get what's yours :)

Bon voyage. Moss.

Hello every one..

A quick update...... :- This morning i have just received a photo copy from YB`S legal team of the allocation questionaire which they have also submitted to my local court to be placed on file....

The information that stands out to me

1) Settlement...... they have ticked the YES box, wanting this claim to be postponed for one month so they can try to settle by either by informal or discussion or by alternative dispute resolution..

2) They are calling 2 witnesses ( in total )

3) They attatched no fee when filing this AQ....

Any one else had the same response whilst at this stage ?

Sounds to me, that an offer could be on the horizon ( must be all :) )and that they`re keeping the costs down by not paying the £100 fee when filing the AQ ( because they know they`re going to lose )..

Or am i reading to much into it at this stage ?

Looking forward to your views ? moss, any body......

.........Cheers Swag...

Exactly the same as the AQ I got. I don't think they have to pay the £100 because you started the claim.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions