TheNorthernWarrior v Northern Bank Ltd. ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya , I had charges with Northern for 3K followed procedure, as did they, initial offer 1k, 2nd offer £1400 settled because they were not prepared to pay arrangement fees etc. they paid all referral charges should get money this week, found them very prompt, didnt put up much of fight - unlike alliance & leicester!!!!!

Good for you!! Well done!! By way of interest, the arrangement fees should not have been included anyway, but the maintenance fees, i think, are an undercover for more interest charges, but the bank is using that term as a 'service charge'. Still that really is the whole point isn't it, the service charges do not add up to £25.00 or £35.00, do they, all you banks OUT THERE?!!!!!

NorthernWarrior.

I think the "maintenance fees" are fair game as they were only debited in the same months as other unfair charges, so are obviously linked to those charges. They were only £9.50 each, but all add up.

Hmffff £9.50 for the "privilege" of going overdrawn. Bloody cheek:mad:

I HAVE WON!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Yesterday, the Northern bank wrote a letter and this is how it goes;-

The bank has considered the latter claim ( this is part of an ongoing claim but split ) and is willing to offer the sum of £1208.41 in full and final settlement of the matter and without admission of liability.

The offer is made up of £915.00 in Referral fees, as attached to the court summons number******** plus £231.41 in respect of interest, plus £62.00 court fees on the small claims application .

We have not included £62.61 in the refund which relates to quarterly charges. These are service charges and cannot be construed as charges for breach of contract.

Should you find this offer acceptable please sign and return the enclosed copy of this letter. On receipt of this letter I will arrange for £1208.41 to be credited to your account.

Yours sincerely,

Nuala Walsh.

I then phoned and asked to be put through to Nuala Walsh, but was told that she was on holiday until the 7th July?!! (no intention of this going to court) and so they put me through to her assitant. I said I would accept this offer but an additional £25.00 of the 8% int. had accumulated up to this date (Mon.25th) and also i had 46 hours of prep work that involved my court bundles at £9.25 that I would ask them to take into account and if they didn't I would be asking the judge on Thurs. to take all of this into consideration by citing, that the Northern had abused the court and their system and that the Defendant had many months to settle this claim and only decided to make an offer 3 days before we were due in court.I then quoted the Lincoln 'abuse' order and said i would present this on the day.

The lady said that she would phone me tomorrow morning ( today) and by 16.00 hrs today, i did not receive any calls. I was going into court at this stage because i was soo mad that after all the hard work i had done, i would bedamned that i was going to lose more money!! So i literally took the bull by the horns!! At 16.20 my hubby phoned me to tell me that a personally hand delivered letter was delivered to our house ( there would have been no time for them to post anything, remember) and in it it stated;

Further to your telephone conversation of 25th June inwhich you indicated that you would be prepared to settle the above mentioned claim should the Bank refund any additional interest charged to your account and consider reimbursing you for time spent in producing documentation to which you refer as 'Court Bundles'.

We would confirm that costs of this nature are not payable under the Small Claims Court process and therefore the Bank would not propose reimbursing the above mentioned costs.

The Bank is however prepared to refund the additional interest of £25.00 and to this end and in full and final settlement of this matter, we have today credited your account with the amount of £2133.41, which I trust you find acceptable.

Yours sincerely

So what do you think about that!!!!?:D :D I knew that you couldn't claim for prep work, but i also felt that if i was going to the courthouse i was going to ask for everything, because it is damn well hard b***** work and we should be paid for it!!If you don't ask, you won't get! SO the moral of this story is DO NOT GIVE IN AND JUST B***** GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!! The Northern never had any intention of going to court and no bank is still prepared to take the chance like the Lloyd's case, there is no precedent to be set, the CYNthesys proves it. If anyone needs any help leave your messages and I certainly will advise you of what I did, But and this is a BIG BUT, if it wasn't for Bankfodder and Caro, i would never have gone this far, they are absolutely FANTASTIC, KIND, GENEROUS AND FABULOUS PEOPLE,especially Bankfodder, because he is the one who has pushed and helped and advised everyone on his site, and if it wasn't for him, none of us would have this extra money in our pockets. My hubby is going to be made redundant and we have school fees to pay and so this will help a bit. Thank you. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!:D

NorthernWarrior.

I have just checked the online small claims court and guess what!! :shock: It reads--- 26.june letter of settlement

26.june--- letter of withdrawal.:shock:

I never even confirmed this , so the bank was indeed running scared!;) They have done everything even cancelling the court case once money was in account!!!! God, have they not admitted now that they will not go into any court disputes?

Northernwarrior.

P.S. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, i never did open a parachute account, because the way i looked at it was nobody was going to intimidate me into doing something that i didn't want to do and i will only do what i want to do, not what someone else dictates.

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! You've certainly lived up to your new name. Must have scared them off.;):D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

:D Thanks everyone! But do you know, it isn't about the money now, the feeling that i have right now is of justice having been done. I know it sounds corny, but it really is true! The bank wanted to intimidate for as long as possible in the hope that because it is such a huge concern a little member of the public was not going to be any real threat to them and that is what this is about! We are a threat because we have had enough of this constant bullying and robbing of the 'big giants'. Always remember Goliath and David. Who won then ? And because of the rush on Tuesday from the bank, they were never ever going into court. So all of you, even those of you who are just starting out and feeling sick and scared and all, we've all been there but believe me, you WILL WIN, just like me. My hubby was terrified that we were going to court, but once i had done those court bundles, there really was no way i was going to stop.

DONATION ON THE WAY!!!!!:-D :-D

TheNorthernWarrior.

Yep, the NorthernWarrior is here!! I've settled down, relaxed and now after reading about the news regarding the Yorkshire and Alliance & Leicester being told to disclosure their charges, I am now going to go back beyond the 6 yrs!!:p I have calmed down, stress has gone and I am going to send off my prem letter. At least i have all my other bumpf on file so hopefully it'll be less work to prepare!!

GO FOR IT GUYS!!!

NorthernWarrior.

I am going to take on A and L next,I was worried about having my account closed by them, but on reflection then that is just giving in to their bulying tatics. Once get my money back from YB I am going to take them back years and years I hope they go bust (fat chance) my court date is not until August the 30th seems ages to go but I suppose it will come around soon enough.

hey,hilaryfrances, I resolutely refused to open a parachute account. The way I saw it was nobody was going to dictate to me, whether i had my account closed or not! I was the paying customer and if I wanted to close my account then it was up to me, it is my choice nobody else's. So, why should you close it, I didn't and the bank didn't threaten me either.

Northernwarrior.

thanks NorthernWarrior, I will create such a stink if they do try and close my account. My money from Yorkshire Bank (when I get it) is going into my savings account I would like to see them try and close my account then. I willing, able, articulate and LOUD enough to fight in public. I am very bitter about the way that financial institutions made our lives hell. we went through a bad financial time. I cant believe that all the money they took from us was not lawful. I literally begged them to give us a break and to use their common, but nooo hundreds of pounds taken from us a week. I am out the other side now and am ready to take on the b****rs on behalf of all the other people out there who are still being made to suffer

I think that has happened to a lot of people here, me included and it just got to the stage that enough is enough! There was a case in England a few months ago, where a judge ruled the bank to be unlawful in closing down a customer's account after they successfully won their case and the judge fined the bank for doing so. The moral is there, just bite the bullet and take no nonsense!!

Northernwarrior.