• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Adidas/DWF Claimform - Supposed Non-Return of Refunded Items. *** Claim Dismissed***

Nongki

I may be wrong here but i think so long as the court gets theirs you can send your one to the claimant 1st class post on the working day before its due (by which time it is too late for DWF to counter as there's will be due by then) so long as you get proof of postage

underpaid paralegal

The biggest disappointment is that they, for some reason, have been saying it is being heard in Liverpool. Obviously my statement reveals to them it is in fact Newcastle. Can't believe they would have actually turned up at Liverpool but the thought was good

Sit tight let them dig the hole ....no sanctions imposed yet

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Day before hearing and still nothing from DWF

Just received an email from the CC however advising that, due to DJ having another hearing at 10:00, the hearing has now moved to 11:30

is this no hearing evicence from them?

Is the hearing on march 1?

Did you contact them by email to make them aware you don't have anything from DWF?

underpaid paralegal

Mate, I think I have stuffed up big style, presuming instead of actually reading letters

Tomorrow is an ENE Hearing, there was no stipulation to supply other party with evidence and I have sent them everything !! IDIOT

Maybe the Judge taking the ENE Hearing will advise them that they won't win, am I clutching at straws 

2023-10-19 N157.pdf

hearing was on 3rd Jan 24 did you attend ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Sorry, that was the original notice, I paid £270 for it to be adjourned as I was out of the country. New date is tomorrow

New notice literally just states new date

Edited by Nongki

Okay so tomorrows hearing is a CMC (case management conference old name) in reality the judge will set the directions and time table for each party to exchange statements and evidence.

Why did you send yours when no dates had been set ?

Because i am a ******* idiot.

Had mediation, it didn't work, presumed next step was the actual court case.

Hopefully I have given everyone a lesson that you should really read rather than presume

Don't worry nothing lost...take your statement along with you and stick to the facts of your defence and statement. The court will then issue fresh directions and by date for both parties to exchange statements and evidence (which you have already completed):-D

After a court claim has been issued you submit a defence -tick

Then you receive a Notice of Allocation with Directions and hearing date (with mediation in between)failed -adjourned -tick

If the Notice of Allocation does not give directions (like yours) you have a CMC (Case Management Conference now called ENC)

The court will issue a further order with dates to exchange and a hearing date.

20 minutes ago, Nongki said:

I paid £270 for it to be adjourned

You shouldn't have paid £275 for an adjournment it does not require a hearing the fee should have been £110.

Raise that whilst your there also and ask for a refund.

Well, that didn’t really go how I was expecting.

Not sure what I was expecting to be honest but came out feeling very negative - that’s typical of me.

About half hour before the advised hearing time a suited guy approached me, introduced himself as the claimants representative and asked if I wanted a chat.

He then said he had been instructed to offer a final agreement of a 50% reduction. I politely advised that I was already considerably out of pocket for something I hadn’t done so wasn’t particularly inclined to pay out a further 650.

He advised that if it went to court then Adidas would “roll out a whole lot of evidence”, so to think about before going into the hearing.

Just before going into the hearing he asked if I had thought about the offer and I informed him that I was happy for the case to continue with no agreement.

Inside the hearing the Judge said if he was still a solicitor he would advise a client to come to an agreement and that my desire to pay nothing, whilst ideal is not often achieved.

I told him that with lost wages and the fee I had paid for an adjournment I was already out of pocket, and agreeing to pay £650 would mean I had lost £1000 on the strength of an accusation, not a guilty charge.  

He told me quite abruptly that it is not a criminal case, there is no accusation or a guilty verdict. The court is merely to decide if I owe Adidas the money or not.

He then asked if I had kept my receipts from the Post Office as proof of posting. I advised that under Adidas returns policy goods are received at the warehouse, condition checked, and refund paid. Once I had received refund there was no reason to keep the receipt, he just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

The Adidas rep then said that Adidas had advised that refunds were paid out before goods were received back at the warehouse, and that the goods were never received.

Judge then said he would put the case down for a 2 hour hearing.

Advised that I add to my evidence by inserting bank statements showing refunds and also proof of postage, which I had already told him I don’t have.

He then advised the claimant that he needed to clarify adidas returns policy

sounds pretty standard

the offers step already shows he knows nothing.

Do as the judge said. when the matter is decided if you win you can ask for all your costs back

costs should be in case. Did he say that during his order making?

underpaid paralegal

He didn’t to be honest.

The claimants representative said to me, during our initial chat, that costs are capped in a small claims court so I wouldn’t get all my costs.

At that stage I thought, why is he talking about my costs if he is sure I owe them money.

Is it likely that the lack of proof of postage will go massively against me

sorry you should have been advised not to have little chats before you went in. its always done to intimidate and unsettle.

so time to get your bank statements then.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Mmm sometimes little chats can be invaluable to give a flavour of the strength of the claimants case as above 

On 01/03/2024 at 16:45, Nongki said:

during our initial chat, that costs are capped in a small claims court so I wouldn’t get all my costs.

Strange thing to raise 

On 01/03/2024 at 16:25, Nongki said:

Advised that I add to my evidence by inserting bank statements showing refunds and also proof of postage, which I had already told him I don’t have.

How did you pay for the postage ? 

Andy

On 01/03/2024 at 16:25, Nongki said:

He then asked if I had kept my receipts from the Post Office as proof of posting. I advised that under Adidas returns policy goods are received at the warehouse, condition checked, and refund paid. Once I had received refund there was no reason to keep the receipt, he just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

So once dropped off did the PO not even give a receipt...surely Adidas have some system in place with the PO to prove you did ? 

Posted (edited)

A receipt would have been given at the time but once the tracking showed it had been delivered back to Adidas and my refund had been received there was no reason to keep the receipt. The tracking number would have showed when and where I dropped it off and followed its route back to Adidas

Edited by Nongki

Then you need to insist that Adidas disclose their own internal tracking data...its for them to prove you didn't not you prove you did...but from your initial post of the last hearing this District Judge may be hard work to convince.

Fortunately he won't be the judge.

He advised that, because he had seen that offers had been made, he could not be the judge.

He removed any offer letters from the case files and gave them back to Adidas rep.