• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Golding Vs Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have made three court bundles and also have originals. The third court bundle is a test one before I start on the ones for the Bank and the court.

I have highlighted all charges in yellow and refunds in orange and will put a key on the index to confirm this. I have also made copies of all letters of correspondence but will not be making an index and numbering the pages until the last letters of correspondance come through (i.e AQ questionaire and defense).

If I have not recieved a defense by Monday 12th of this month am I right to request judgement on the MCOL site?

Won** Barclays claim-in FULL

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

Won ** Natwest claim-in FULL

After LBA

12th July 2007

...starting Alliance & Leicester claim

24th September 2007

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is the 16th day from that of Acknowledgement, however it states on Money Claim they have 28 days from when they are served. I know I have read somewhere what this day means but cannot find it. Is it a few days after the date of issue, even so is 16 days after that of Acknowledgement enough to start Judgement?

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

They have 14 days (from the date of service was deemed of your claim) to issue the Acknowledgement of Service and then a further 28 days from the date of service of the claim form to issue the full defence.

They Banks always leave everything to the last minute.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

"28 days from the date of service of the claim form" Do you mean a few days after the date of issue?

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

Sorry my bad should have checked that. Notice of issue states the claim was deemed served on the 15th January giving Barclays until Next Thursday, (22nd Feb), to enter their defence. Roll on a week.

My court bundle is almost prepared, but I recently read in another post that in the 'Letters of correspondance' there is no need to include the letters from the court, 'Notice of Issue' and 'Notice of Acknowledgment' etc. Would this be correct or is it not a big deal if there in or out.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

You are keen preparing your bundle, you may not ever need it, but best to prepare early. However, I would not copy it just yet to save yourself time (and maybe money) and you may have some further documents to include as the litigation progresses.

This is a very good consolidated link on preparing for court including the bundle:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

Hi thanks for that that will make for interesting reading.

Unfortunatly I have already made four entire bundles, I am an IT Technian at a school so I just (free of charge) chuck the whole lot on the copier and it does it all for me in five minutes. I do feel for all the people that have to copy individually. Rest assured you have my sympathy!!!!

I havn't done any numbering of the pages yet just in case, as you say, there is more to add. I've just highlighted the charges for now.

Organisation makes for peaceful sleeping.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

I got a call from home today telling me a letter from the court had been delivered this morning. This being notice of defence entered and the Allocation Questionaire. I haven't been home yet to read fully but I know I have to return my AQ by the 4th March. Whats the chances of it speeding up the case if I hand it in much sooner than this date?

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

I know it says clearly in the AQ guide.......

Section G - Other Information

"Give details of any other information that you consider will help the judge to manage the claim, referring as necessary to any documents you might have attached. Bear in mind however that at this stage you need not attach all other documents which you wish the court to consider at the hearing. This is something you will later be asked to provide."

"You should state here that you believe the case will last no longer than 1 hour. "

....Is it sufficient to just state that the case will not last longer than an hour? I don't feel I have any other information I need to add.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

Have you adopted the New Strategy for AQ per the link below (and MB's post 12)?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires.html

This is good for section G and do not forget to include the Draft Order.

'The Claimant proposes the attached draft order for directions, for the courts due consideration. If ordered, the Claimant believes these directions will allow the overriding objectives to be furthered in that they will fully identify the most fundamental issues in dispute (as detailed below), and allow them to be assessed so that this claim may proceed justly and expeditiously.

- The crux upon which this claim rests is the true cost incurred by the Defendant as a result of the contractual breach from which its charges arise. If the Defendant cannot substantiate the cost of each charge as proportionate to its loss incurred, it has charged contractual penalties contrary to the UTCCR 1999 and common law principles established since the early 1900's.

- In the event that the Defendant’s charges were accepted as being a fee for a service (which is denied), examination of its true costs is required to determine whether the price is reasonable as required by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

As the law relating to contractual penalties is long established, the Claimant believes the outstanding issues to be of fact. Accordingly, the Claimant respectfully requests that the claim be allocated to the small claims track, and estimates that the hearing of the claim should last no longer than one hour.'

• Haha 1

This looks like an interesting avenue to take. I will have to read more deeply this evening. If I charged barclays for the amount of time I have spent reading as well, I would be collecting a small fortune!

From a brief scan it looks like adding this information will allow for a quicker deadline and a chance of a quicker settlement. However, is there any way in which this route can go wrong, apart from if written incorrectly of course.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

That is exactly the idea, to speed things up - little chance of it backfiring providing you follow the instructions and file you documents listed in the order at the correct time (providing of course the judge orders).

i sent my LBA to barclays today... how long do you think i'll have to wait before i hear anything? i havent even had a denial letter since i sent my prelim letter on the 8th. they dont call...they dont write...

08/02/07-Prelim letter & SOC sent to Barclays

22/02/07-LBA & updated SOC sent to Barclays

23/02/07-Prelim letter and SOC sent to RBS

05/03/07-Offer letter recd from RBS - full settlement, no conditions. Accepted

08/03/07-Paid in full from RBS:D

12/03/07-Offer from Barclays - less than 1/3 of the full amount, rejection letter sent with updated SOC:mad:

26/03/07-Claim #2 against RBS...Prelim letter and SOC sent (same account, more charges since settling last claim!)

18/05/07- recfd offer from RBS for full amount claimed, accepted!

25/0507-recd offer from barclays for full amount!!!! yippee!!! acceptance sent

26/0507-recd letter from barclays saying that they have closed my account???? help!?

For Section G of the Allocation Questionaire. Is it possible to put here 'Please find this section attached' rather than squashing this into the box, I can type it out with Section G as the header and attach this with Draft Order.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

• 3 weeks later...

Hey getting nearer and more worrying. Today I recieved my court date....12th April 2007. It appears they did not want to take the new strategy for the AQ.

Below is the letter I received.....

District Judge has considered the statements of case and allocation questionaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

The hearing of the claim will take place (time) on the 12 April 2007 at (local court) and should take no longer than 1 hour.

The court must be informed immediately if the case is settled by agreement before the hearing date

Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents (inc any expert reports) on which he intends to rely at the hearing no later than 14 days before the hearing.

Each party shall deliver to each other and the court, witness statements while will include witness statements of the parties themselves no later than 14 days before the hearing.

The original documents may be brought to the hearing.

PLEASE NOTE: To enable us to make full use of the judical time and to offer you an earlier date, this case is one of two actions listed for the date and time given. Therefore, if your case settles in advance would you please notify the Court as soon as possible.

Please contact the court 48 hours before the scheduled hearing in order to confirm whether your listing will be effective.

If your case is adjourned it will be listed as soon as possible and given priority.

Date: 14 March

My court bundles are printed and just need numbering and highlighting of the statements. Am I right that I don't need to insert correspondance with the court just with Barclays.

Am I posting it to the usual place and addressing it to Barclays solicitor?

I hear alot of people ring barclays a couple of weeks before the hearing, is this the norm now that you have to ring them?

Cheers

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

hi

When i did my court bundles i included all correspondence that i had sent to and received from barclays in all bundles.

I am sure that barclays will contact you in the next couple of weeks to settle the claim.

send it to Barclays litigation and disputes address.

hope this helps

claire

:pI'VE CLAIMED MY BARCLAYS CHARGES BACK.:p

£5125.60

Im no expert everything i write is what i learnt from my own experience and reading through other threads. Click my scales if you wish to!:)

Thanks claire. Ill try get the bundles sent off Monday. That should hopefully show them I'm very serious.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

I have just finished putting together my court bundle ready to send tomorrow morning, 22 working days before my court date, 12th April. I attached a covering letter with the bundle; -

Dear Court Manager/Barclays Solicitor

Please find enclosed a copy of all documents I intend to rely upon at the small claims track hearing, Callum Golding v Barclays Bank PLC, on the 12th April 2007. If you would like to request any further documents or discuss any details please use the below contact details; -

My Details!!!!

Hope this is ok, I decided to add my contact details to make it easier for Barclays to get in touch when they realise how serious I am and would like to settle.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

My bundles would have been recieved by Barclays now as I sent by special delivery on Wednesday. I also hand delivered a bundle to the county court yesterday. My court date is on the 12th July so as far as I know I have got all relevant information to the correct people well within the time limits.

What should I do now?.....is it just a waiting game, or should I be calling them?

The end is near I hope, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me get as far as I have.

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007

I meant 12th of April sorry. So not much time left at all. Any idea if I should call them or they will call me?

1 week before court date

26th March 2007

After LBA

12th July 2007

24th September 2007