• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

Reactions from Russian state media and the Washington Post.

WWW.AOL.CO.UK

Kremlin-controlled Russian TV suggested that Liz Truss would bring about 'the end of the world'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/06/liz-truss-troubled-britain-leader/

Illegitimi non carborundum

From the Times today. The bloodletting began before Truss even went to Balmoral.

'Aides, officials and staff lined the corridor to applaud him on the way out, as is traditional. Johnson stopped to thank them before stepping out in front of No 10 to deliver his resignation speech ahead of the showers.

An hour later many of those who lined the corridor received a blunt email telling them they were not wanted by Liz Truss’s new regime and to clear their desks and leave No 10. Political advisers were told to be out by 9.30am while 50 civil servants, many of whom had expected to remain, were told to leave by 11am and report to the Cabinet Office.'

• unclebulgaria67 changed the title to Should we trust Truss to fix the countries' problems ?

Thoughts from David Allen Green on the Bill of Rights drawn up by Dominic Raab. He thinks there will be other measures and it will be run by the Home Office/Suella Braverman.

'Dominic Raab and his “Bill of Rights” may have gone.

But the need to be vigilant about what the government wants to do with our Convention rights has not gone at all.'

Raab has now blocked DAG on Twitter, he can't have liked some of the comments. :)

DAVIDALLENGREEN.COM

7th September 2022 The Human Rights Act 1998 is still in place. And Dominic Raab is not. Raab was three times a minister at the Ministry of...

The new government as seen from the US.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

It was an unfamiliar feeling of relief: whatever may be wrong with America, at least no one is looking to Liz Truss to solve it, says Guardian columnist...

It hasn't been announced yet but from what I've read, the fuel price freeze is going to be funded by extra borrowing that will come back either as a surcharge on bills or future taxation on ordinary people.

Truss is against a windfall tax, but then she was with Shell as an accountant and the fuel lobby has given £1.5m to the Tory party in the last few years.

A lot of commentators would just like her to be honest about how the sums add up and not pretend she can do everything she's talking about. Not directly related but to quote James O'Brien on Twitter

'You can either 'grow the economy' or impose economic sanctions on yourself. I wonder how long it will take Tories to realise that you can't do both.'

• I agree 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to Should we trust Truss to fix the Country's problems ?

Truss seems to have a long history with right-wing think tanks, some of which are opaquely funded.

WWW.OPENDEMOCRACY.NET

MP says Truss could be a ‘puppet’ for right-wing groups that have already generated a dozen of her policies

• 2 weeks later...

Here's George Mobiot on neoliberalism and its economics which seems to be the current government's policy. It seems to want to revert to the 19th century when there were a few very rich people and a lot of very poor people. Scary stuff.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Just when we need visions of a better world, the prime minister is proclaiming the toxic gospel of neoliberalism, says Guardian columnist...

I don't understand the subleties between neoliberalism, Thatcherism and Britannia Unchained-ism, but certainly two of them are aimed at making the rich richer and the rest of us poorer.

Rees Smug wants to ditch the limits on working hours and stop people having paid holiday. I think he'd like a country of rich landowners with the rest of the population as serfs, the workhouse, etc.

As she leaves the country for a few days, Truss admits talks aren't even happening. I'd be surprised if they do while the NI Protocol is still being argued over.  A lot of people told them they couldn't get a trade agreement with the US in less than 10 years, but they knew better.

Even then do other countries trust the UK not to try and rewrite what's been agreed unilaterally.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

PM admits talks are not even taking place and plays down hopes from Brexiters that they could start ‘in the short to medium term’

I don't blame them, it's embarrassing.

Obama said the UK would go to the back of the queue - I think he meant to wait our turn, then Trump made enthusiastic noises but did nothing. I think Brexiters convinced themselves they would get priority over other countries in negotiating a deal.

The Biden/Truss meeting tomorrow isn't looking promising. From the Guardian live feed, 15.20.

Liz Truss is more committed to trickle-down economics than any other British prime minister taking office at least since Margaret Thatcher in 1979 (and even Thatcher was in power for nine years before she finally got round to slashing the top rate of income tax to 40%). Biden says he is “sick and tired” of this approach because it never works.

In terms of undergoing scrutiny, nothing seems to have changed.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Tory chair of Treasury committee says assessments on economic impact of planned tax cuts vital to provide reassurance to markets

Article by George Monbiot.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The prime minister is in hock to rightwing lobbyists who are themselves indebted to oligarchs and corporations, says Guardian columnist George...