• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PCM ANPR PCN Claimform - Overstay - Anchorwood Retail Park, Barnstaple, Devon ***Claim Dismissed + Costs***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What utter idiots.  So a 40% discount on £100 is now £100 is it?  It wasn't when I studied maths at school 🤣

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to PCM ANPR PCN Claimform - Overstay - Anchorwood Retail Park, Barnstaple, Devon

You know the game from your other thread.  Acknowledge service.  Get a CPR request off.  Etc.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

@Lazy farmerThe second point  2.  It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant  covers that.  You weren't there so you can't have entered into a contract.  And because we've worded it so generically the fleecers won't understand what you're arguing and won't be able to make up lies in their Witness Statement to counter you 😄

@brassneckedWe started to add the fifth point to cover the Unicorn Food Tax  5.  The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 

• Like 1

If you have time before going away get a CPR request off like the last time.

• 2 weeks later...

If you read other threads with "claim form" in the title, you'll soon understand the steps of the legal process.

There are four on the last page of our PPC Successes thread.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347084-ppc-successes-no-questions-please/page/14/#comments

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 14:59, FTMDave said:

If you read other threads with "claim form" in the title, you'll soon understand the steps of the legal process.

There are four on the last page of our PPC Successes thread.

Er - why did I write this?

We are dealing with the thrasher of Simple Simon in court  👏

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The problem with just one argument is that if you get a dodgy judge who discounts it then it's game over.

We recommend throwing the kitchen sink in at WS stage, so there are as many arguments to chuck the claim out as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just reread your thread from the start.

In their PCN the fleecers specifically state it is in line with Schedule 4 of POFA.  They haven't respected the 14 days of POFA.  They're screwed.

Then they haven't offered the discount which is in all the CoPs.

Don't remind Gladstones.  Think about it.  You don't want them to reply.  Then you can state in your WS that you don't believe the fleecers have a valid contract with the landowner, nor that they have obtained PP, and they have refused to produce these following a CPR request.

I don't think the 2-hour v 3-hour limit really helps you, as the driver stayed nearly 4 hours.  in any case, where have the fleecers mentioned a 2-hour limit?  I can't see it anywhere.

You need to start work on your WS.  Your sections need to be

- No Locus Standi

- Illegal Signage

- No Keeper Liability

- Invalid PCN/Breach of Codes of Practice

- Double Recovery.

I will read the WS later after work, but dx is right, if they don't turn up, 99.9999% chance they will lose.

Even for Gladdys, that is an appalling WS.

They've managed to conclude that the part of your defence about double recovery was aimed at the £50 legal costs they're perfectly entitled to ask for - and not the £70 Unicorn Food Tax!

So now you need to prepare your WS.

Sequence of events - a brief description of how you ended up with their invoice.

No Locus Standi - they are not the landowner, the "contract" they have produced is a standard one with no names or signatures (forum regular Lookinforinfo is an expert on such things and will no doubt add more).

Illegal Signage - you do not believe they have PP, you have investigated this with the local council, they have refused a CPR request to produce PP,  PP is not shown in their WS, this is a criminal matter and no contract can be formed where criminality is concerned.

No Keeper Liability - even if a contract had been formed, it would have been with the driver of the vehicle, you were not the driver, they have not established keeper liability under POFA, both in their PCN and their WS (para 7) they specifically say they are using POFA.

Invalid PCN/Breach of Codes of Practice - the CoP of their trade association the iPC states (para 15.2) "A reduction of a minimum of 40% must be offered where payment is made within 14 days" yet they have offered a 0% discount on the £100 PCN.

Double Recovery - as this is essentially the same for all PPC claims, and given their huge mess up, I've set out what I think you should use verbatim (except the numbering of course) -

DOUBLE RECOVERY

10.  The Claimant is quite correct in their Witness Statement (paras 46-49) that they are entitled to add £50 legal costs to the claim.

11.  However,  the Claimant seeks recovery of the original £100 parking charge plus the justified £50 legal costs plus an additional £70 described as “contractual costs and interest” or “debt collection costs”.  No further justification or breakdown has been provided as required under Civil Procedure Rule 16.4.

12.  PoFA Schedule 4, paragraph 4(5) states that “The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper is the amount specified in the notice to keeper” which in this case is £100.

13.  Unless the Claimant can clearly demonstrate how these alleged additional costs have been incurred this would appear to be an attempt at double recovery.

14.  Previous parking charge cases have found that the parking charge itself is at a level to include the costs of recovery ie: Parking Eye Ltd vs Beavis (2015) UKSC 67 which is the authority for recovery of the parking charge itself and no more, since that sum (£85) was held to already incorporate the costs of an automated private parking business model and the Supreme Court Judges held that a parking firm not in possession cannot plead any part of their case in damages. It is indisputable that an alleged “parking charge” penalty is a sum which the Supreme Court found is already inflated to more than comfortably cover all costs. The case provides a finding of fact by way of precedent, that the £85 (or up to a Trade Body ceiling of £100 depending on the parking firm) covers the costs of the letters. Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated ''Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones-Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates [...] in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practice continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared [...] the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process.''

15.  In Claim numbers F0DP806M and F0DP201T, Britannia vs Crosby the courts went further in a landmark judgement in November 2019 which followed several parking charge claims being struck out in the area overseen by His Honour Judge Iain Hamilton  Douglas Hughes GC, the Designated Civil Judge for Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight & Wiltshire. District Judge Taylor echoed earlier General Judgment or Orders of District Judge Grand, stating ''It is ordered that the claim is struck out as an abuse of process. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the Defendant contracted to pay. This additional charge is not recoverable under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 nor with reference to the judgment in Parking Eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998...''

16.  The Claimant states in "The Claimant Therefore Claims" section towards the end of their Witness Statement that the Claimant's trade association allows this made-up £70 sum.  It is neither here nor there what a biased, break-away trade association considers as reasonable or lawful.  What matters is what the law in England & Wales considers as reasonable & lawful. 

17.  In this section the Claimant actually admits that this sum is due to instructing solicitors - for which £50 legal costs have already been added.  This is a very poor attempt to circumvent the limit of £50 legal costs allowed for this amount of claim at the small claims track.

18.  The Claimant's claim (para 24) that the trade association's appeals body "is completely independent of the IPC" is frankly laughable.  Both were set up in 2013 by Mr William Hurley and Mr John Davies of Gladstones Solicitors. The IPC, its appeals body the IAS and the firm of solicitors at the time most associated with parking litigation were all run by the same two people, in a blatant conflict of interest.  The Defendant would rather count on an unbiased county court, rather than a kangaroo court established by the Claimant's associates.

Edited by FTMDave
Putting the boot in more

You're absolutely right that No Keeper Liability is your strongest argument and your ace.

I just thought that it made a more logical legal argument "in the right order" IYSWIM, to argue -

1.  No contract was formed with the fleecers because it's not their land (Locus Standi).

2.  Again no contract was formed with the charlatans because the signage was illegal (Illegal Signage).

3.  If the court disagrees with the above and decides that a contract was formed with the conmerchants, then it was between them and a completely different person.  You were not the driver.  They say they are using POFA but have not respected POFA's provisions (No Keeper Liability).

It's just a personal preference, I'd be tempted to do things in that order but keep the Locus Standi and Illegal Signage sections pretty brief, not pages of waffle, because as you say the judge may only scan read.

Your call.  You're in a superb position given the spivs daren't even turn up.

The judge just has to accept one of your points, which the leeches won't be around to counter, and it's case over.

Personal details show on DOC files.  I've therefore converted it to PDF.

As a first draft that looks excellent.

I have a lot to do today, work and then of course Morocco v France ... but promise to look in and comment properly this evening.

A few comments.

In No Keeper Liability you could beef it up a bit and say that the PCN specifically states "this notice is given to you in line with Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012" and also the Claimant in their Witness Statement (para 7) states they are using the Protection of Freedoms Act.

They have even admitted on the PCN that the "date this notice is given" is 16 days after the event.

They specifically state they are using POFA and then don't abide by its provisions.

In Locus Standi I wouldn't mention the CPR request because that has been superseded by the rubbish contract included in their WS.  Zero in on that.

In Illegal Signage add the obvious point that there is no mention of PP in the fleecers WS - because none exist.

I wouldn't worry about their silly points 36 & 37.  Of course you're the registered keeper.  So what?

I'll have a look this evening.

World Cup final time now 😉

That is superb work.

I've converted to PDF, again, because your personal details show up on DOC files.

It depends what address is specified on the claim form.

Pretty sure it'll be Gladdys.

• 3 weeks later...

Usual Gladdys' lies then.

Good that they admit "the requested planning permission does not exist".

As for converting to PDF, simply use one of the free sites mentioned in the upload guide, such as  https://www.ilovepdf.com/

• 2 weeks later...

So the sole director of the IPC is - William Kenneth Hurley.  Formerly director of ...

... Gladstone's solicitors!  So no conflict of interest and  no connection between the two then 😂

• Haha 1

Is that 2-0 to you now in court victories against these money-grabbing companies?