• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NCP/BW PCN PAPLOC now claimform - New Gatwick Drop Off Zone - I thought I had paid for both visits? ***Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Thank you FTMDave for taking time to have a look at CoP in more detail.

I had found the sections you have quoted. However, I was concerned that they are only referring to APNR systems and not payment systems. Technically their APNR systems were working perfectly, it was their payment systems that failed to process payment. 

Do you think this will be a problem.

I am also sorry, its been my turn to be ridiculously busy,. I will continue to be so until 22nd December. I am on the road continuously with work. Once I have gotten to the end of this run. It's a priority for to polish up the WS and hopefully include your research above.

Thanks again for all this!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FTMDave, this is great news to hear. And I do take 'troublemaker' as a compliment. So no worries there. It is a disgrace that these PPCs treat us like criminals and ignore their own legal obligations in the handling of our private details.

In regards to my court date, there has been no news. But I have been tweeking away slowly at my WS. I have also found a copy of a contract between Gatwick Airport and East Sussex County Council that appears to clearly state that all highways are under the jurisdiction of the local council! All will be shared with the updated WS.

Hi brassnecked, The contract was renewed on 24th May 2022... See the current agreement linked below....

See section B of the RECITALS section (I have also linked the 1980 Highways Act for your cross reference as the agreement quotes this as defining the local council and county council's jurisdiction)

https://www.gatwickairport.com/globalassets/company/policies/section106.pdf

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate the Highways Acts 1959 to 1971 and related enactments, with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission.

Be good to hear your feedback. Maybe I have read it wrong? But I think it's pretty clear.

• Thanks 1

What are people's thoughts on Obligation 5.3 on pg17 of the document.

It basically states that Gatwick Airport have an obligation to discourage the use of private car travel to the airport. Could this be present as permission for them to implement Drop Zone charges?

Nicky Boy... It was a bit of both. I was searching for the agreement between Gatwick Airport and NCP online and stumbled upon this while searching using the Gatwick Airport site search engine.

I was also searching through all local authority websites for any planning permissions for the signage etc. I discovered neither Crawley nor Sussex County Councils had any record of any planning at Gatwick airport. I found that I had been barking up the wrong trees, as I found out that in fact Reigate & Banstead Councils seem to handle all planning for Gatwick. 

Good news... No mention of Drop Off Zone planning permissions for signage.

So... My Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing) has just arrived in the post today (dated 2nd March! How long does it take them to post a document?)

Anyway... I guess we are game on soon. I will be definitely presenting to you guys a more complete WS this week.

Do any of you have any idea rough ball park timeframe now long until the hearing date?

The reason I ask, is that I am leaving for a 10day holiday on Fri 31st March. What happens if the hearing date falls when I am going to be away? 

Can you ask for the date to reallocated for this reason?

Do you need me to post up a scan of the document? Or are these fairly generic to all small claims cases?

I don't remember any specific timeframe being mention at the N180 step from the receipt of the Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims to the actual date of the hearing, no ...

Did I miss something dx100?

It all was very vague and still is according to this letter... It just states the date of the hearing will come 'later'

Main thing is my WS is almost ready to go.. So all good.

Just wondering should something clash with a time when I am not in the country is there a process to reschedule in the Small Claims Hearing Process? If not, we may have issues. But that will be, what it will be.

dx100... Thanks for the nudge... You're always so good at it. 

The form telling you when and where the hearing is, and how long it will last, is called a 'notice of allocation'. You'll get at least 21 days' notice of the date of the hearing. You'll also be told when you need to pay the hearing fee - unless you're getting help with court fees.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the radio silence... I am finally starting to collate my evidence appendix... I know we discussed supplying WS's from my family members who witnessed my attempted payment of the DOZ fee. I would appreciate some feedback on how this should be worded.

Please let me know if you think I should add anything further, or indeed take anything out. All thoughts appreciated.

Here's what I have drafted for both my parents and my partner to sign:

WITNESS STATEMENT

Mr XXXXXXXXXX

Everything in the following statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I, Mr XXXXXX, am confirming that on Friday 15th October 2021 at approximately 15:00hrs, I witnessed XXXXX access, via Gatwick Airport’s website, National Car Parks Ltd online payment portal to make a £5 drop off zone fee payment for the vehicle XXXXXXX, for which he is the registered keeper.

For all intents and purposes and as far as I witnessed, both he and everyone present were satisfied that he had successfully completed the payment process as instructed by the National Car Parks Ltd online instructions; including the supply of his bank account details for the purposes of taking payment.

Signed:

Mr XXXXXXXX

Date:

I will be collecting the original, signed in ink, documents when visiting them over the May/June half term.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the radio silence... I have been swamped with work and family commitments...

FTMDave, thanks for the link. I have actually used this WS as starting template for my own full WS for presentation to the court. I have pasted the details on to the start of the doc for my witnesses to sign.

Here's what I am going to get my parents and partner to sign... The document will also have the claim number in the top right part of the header.

In the County Court at XXXX

BETWEEN: National Car Parks (EUK) Ltd (claimant)

AND

Mr XXXX XXXX (defendant)

Witness Statement of Mr XXXX XXXX

Everything in the following statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I, Mr XXXX XXXX, am confirming that on Friday 15th October 2021 at approximately 15:00hrs, I witnessed XXXXX access, via Gatwick Airport’s website, National Car Parks Ltd online payment portal to make a £5 drop off zone fee payment for the vehicle XXXXX, for which he is the registered keeper.

For all intents and purposes and as far as I witnessed, both he and everyone present were satisfied that he had successfully completed the payment process as instructed by the National Car Parks Ltd online instructions; including the supply of his bank account details for the purposes of taking payment.

Signed:

XXXXXXX

Date:

How's that enough and worth adding to the WS evidence bundle?

Thanks for your feedback guys... I have been chipping away at my 2nd draft of my WS over the last month or two. I'm going to present the loaded gun to you all, with as many 'bullets' as I think I have... We can then take out anything we think may weaken the case. 

How's that sound?

It's coming I promise...

• Like 1

To tantalise you all... I am currently putting together the evidence document appendix... 😤 I think I almost there. 

Ok here is my 2nd draft saved as PDF and hopefully with all personal info redacted...

I have not included the evidence docs, as they will take too much time for right now to do redacted versions. But i think the quotes from the evidence docs are all pretty included in the WS anyway. I just include them for the judge's reference and top prove they exist.

I look forward to tweaking this further and hopefully have a good WS ready for when required to be submitted

WSNCP:BWLegalRedacted2ndDraft.pdf

See above for the new one with Section 11 update. I thought I had got everything. 🙄

Thanks for the feedback FTMDave.

I'll have a look at the Frustration of Contract bit. I would the order of events are just what they are, and I could certainly reference the relevant points again.

How about if I simply move the Frustration of Contract section before Illegal Signage? 

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys. I have returned home from my holiday to quite a pile of mail.

I have been sent my Notice of Trial Date from the County Court. It will be on 20-09-23, so long as The Fleecers pay their court trial fee by 23rd August. The trial will be 2hrs via CVP (online). A tad annoying, as this makes it easier and inexpensive for The Fleecers to turn up.

Do you want me to post a redacted Notice of Trial Date? Or is this pretty standard stuff?

Now... Here's where things get interesting. Just this morning, I was called by one of their 'paralegals'. I ignored the call, and they left a message requesting me to call them back to discuss the case. Naturally, I have ignored this, waiting to hear people's thoughts on here.

I also received the following email from them 2mins after they made the call:

Our Client: National Car Parks (EUK) Limited

Claim Number: XXXXX

Our Reference:XXXXXX

Hearing Date: 20 September 2023

Balance Due: £250.74

Good morning, 

I write in respect of the above matter.

We would like to discuss the matter further. Please may you provide a number and the best time to call?

Alternatively, the above matter can be discussed via email for your convenience.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

XXXXXX

Paralegal

I assume I want to keep all discussion in writing, preferably by letter. But is email acceptable? How should I respond? I feel I need to at least demonstrate my willingness to engage with the matter before going to court? Will I not appear unreasonable to the judge, if I don't?

I am thinking a response demanding all correspondence is in writing and asking them what particular aspects of the matter they wish to discuss? As up until now nothing has been presented in their correspondence as up for any discussion or compromise.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback Dx

I did wonder where they got my contact details (email & mobile) from. But I can only assume from their 'client' NCP whom we emailed to complete my SAR claim against them. I have of course not given NCP any permission to share my contact details... But proving that they have done this could be tricky.

Weirdly they called me first at 9am, before emailing me at 9.02am requesting my phone number and a suitable time to call! They clearly had my number and were only interested in catching me off guard. Luckily I never answer any numbers I don't recognise, especially from Leeds!

If everyone is agreed, I am happy to ignore this attempt of contact. The whole phone calling/emailing smacks of unprofessionalism in my book, and certainly shows them up as just what they really are... debt collectors!! Not solicitors.

Waoh. Looks like they are getting desperate.

This has just arrived in my inbox.... From their auto mailing system. This will tell them that the email has been received and opened.... I will get the letter off asap telling the to cease any contact with me, other than Royal Mail.

Is there anything in pursuing them as to how they got my contact details and phone number. Surely if NCP have shared this personal data without my permission they have breached GDPR rules? Do BW see my contact details that have been supplied to the court? 

Without Prejudice Save as to Costs
Our Client: National Car Parks (EUK) Limited
Our Reference: XXXXX
Client Reference:XXXXXXX
Balance Due: £250.74
Hearing Venue: XXXXX
Hearing Date: 20/09/2023
We are writing to you because the court has listed our client's claim for a court hearing on 20/09/2023. 

Our client is keen to resolve matters amicably by offering you the opportunity to pay a discounted balance on the sums due. We wanted to let you know that we are available to assist you throughout this time via numerous methods, from our contact centre, webchat and our customer portal to avoid the need for a hearing. 

Great news - 25% discount offer 
Our client wants to help with any possible financial burden that you may have and we are able to now offer you a pre-approved discount. This can be paid in one lump sum, or you can pay this over a pre agreed instalment plan. This offer is open for acceptance until 21 August 2023. You do not need to call us to accept this offer if this is affordable to you. Just log in, or register to use our Customer Portal www.bwlegal.co.uk and select "Customer Login". The pre-approved settlement and plan is ready for you to accept. You need to quote our reference, along with your address details and a couple of other security questions in order to register.  

The discount available is 25%. If you do take advantage of the discount, the revised amount to pay will be £188.05 if paid by 21 August 2023. If you cannot afford to pay the discounted amount in full, do not worry. You can still take advantage of the offer by setting up a pre-approved monthly instalment plan in the sum of £25.00 per month. The plan has been recommended to take into account estimated disposable income. You will be able to choose the first payment date and payment method. Alternatively, please call us on 0113 323 1784 or speak to us via webchat so we can assist you in setting up the plan.  

Once the offer has been accepted, we will notify the court that the hearing listed on 20/09/2023 does not need to go ahead. If you have filed a counterclaim, you will need to ensure that you inform the court and ourselves, in writing, that you no longer wish to proceed with the counterclaim.  
Yours sincerely, 
BW Legal
bw legal

N.B. To opt out of email communication from BW Legal please reply to this email quoting reference "xxxxxxx"

Loving the Rachael & Sean opener... I did my research on the firm a while back. Basically 2 solicitors (if they are even still registered, although I think they are) and a few 'para legals' (fancy PAs) sending out copy & paste nonsense. On the whole I have also read that they go quiet very soon... I am weirdly hoping they don't... I want my day in court.

Thoughts on this....

Re: Client Ref XXXXXX / BW Legal Case Ref XXXXX

Dear Mr Barton & Ms Withers

I write to you about your PA’s recent somewhat harassing and unprofessional attempts to contact me by e-mail and by phone. I want it noted that I have never given these specific contact details to your company, and you do not have any right to gather and utilise them without my prior consent. I also want it noted, upon your receipt of this letter, that all communications regarding our mutual legal dispute must be by Royal Mail only.

As I have already made perfectly clear in my past correspondence with you, I am prepared to pay £0.00 to settle this case after the treatment I have been subjected to by your client and yourselves. 

However, in the spirit of compromise and without prejudice, I would now like to take this opportunity to reach out to you and offer you a 100% discount. My offer is that if your client discontinues this claim, I will refrain from suing them for the distress caused by their clear and obvious breach of my GDPR rights in sharing my personal contact data that has been held by them for their use, without my consent.

Please do not assume that my suing regarding GDPR is an idle threat, I have already successfully sued your client for the distress caused by their failure to respect my Subject Access Request (claim #: XXXXX). 

I honestly hope to never hear from you again.

Regards,

Ha! Fair enough. I just don't like copy & pasting peoples words, when I will have to stand by them should they be challenged in court.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated on the feedback.

I have edited the letter now as per your instruction. I am heading to the post office now to post it, as I have been working all morning. 

Had another bloody phone call from them today at 1.30pm. I'm just ignoring them.

FYI in regards to basic rights of GDPR/Data Protection

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to find out what information the government and other organisations store about you. These include the right to:

• be informed about how your data is being used
  • access personal data
  • have incorrect data updated
  • have data erased
  • stop or restrict the processing of your data
  • data portability (allowing you to get and reuse your data for different services)
  • object to how your data is processed in certain circumstances

You also have rights when an organisation is using your personal data for:

• automated decision-making processes (without human involvement)
  • profiling, for example to predict your behaviour or interests
I could request them to erase my email and phone number from their records? What do you think?

Letter posted with free proof of delivery recorded.

I guess the ball is firmly in their court now.

The Notice of Trial Date letter states that my court bundle will need to received by them no later than 7 days before the court date. If the my court date is 20th September, should I have them emailed off by midnight on 12th September? Or anytime on the 13th?

I have read on other threads on here that it's best to leave the filing of the court bundle until the very last minute. I just don't want to cock that up. It would not be a good start to things.