• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Without prejudice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you put the phrase 'without prejudice' at the top of a letter, is it legally binding? In other words, would an organisation not be allowed to present the letter to a judge then or is it more of a convention? What would a judge do if presented with a letter that said 'without prejudice'?

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

They could present it - but it would NOT be binding on the Judge to take it into consideration, or indeed acknowledge any part of it. (This exception is allowed where other criminal acts like extortion, threats of violence etc are intimated.

From Finance Glossary : Without prejudice

"The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court."

You can find out more by giving this Google link a spin:

without prejudice offer - Google Search

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

However, you may ask the judge to accept it if you think that it is particularly important, and the judge will have discretion as to whether to accept it or not.

As a rule, though, better not to play fast and loose with "Without prejudice" communications.

As a side note, complaints have gone to the Law Society about "some" solicitors stating in their letters to CAGgers that the letter was without prejudice, and then going on to say that if OP refused, they would show the letter to the judge. Tut tut.

• 1 month later...
As a side note, complaints have gone to the Law Society about "some" solicitors stating in their letters to CAGgers that the letter was without prejudice, and then going on to say that if OP refused, they would show the letter to the judge. Tut tut.

Ohhh, Cobbetts have got so far up my nose during my recently won case, that I think I might just have to do this myself. They offered me a 50% settlement "without prejudice" and then said that they would tell the court if I said no (which I did) as it showed that they were being "more than reasonable"

I'll let you know how I get on

Ohhh, Cobbetts have got so far up my nose during my recently won case, that I think I might just have to do this myself. They offered me a 50% settlement "without prejudice" and then said that they would tell the court if I said no (which I did) as it showed that they were being "more than reasonable"

I'll let you know how I get on

Cobbets have a very hardened (entirely without prejudice) approach and do quite a lot of work for the likes insovlvency practitioners who believe they are a law unto themselves.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I written an initial letter to the outsourced body from the Law Society that deal with complaints about 'other people's solicitors' outlining how I have objected to their bullying tactics and about them offering me a WP settlement of 50% and telling me in the same letter that if I declined it, then they would tell the court that while they were being reasonable, I was not and my refusal of their letter proved that.

Chances that anything will be done or that Cobbetts will be forced to change their ways? Pretty close to sod all, but hey, it makes me feel better and anything that inconveniences those people is ok by me

2 points – If a letter is a genuine attempt to settle the claim it will be without prejudice even if it doesn’t have those words on it. Putting the words on doesn’t make something that is not “WP”, “WP”. Lots of people put “WP” on documents which are not privileged because they don’t understand what it means. If it is not a genuine attempt to settle the claim then it is disclosable to the court.

What they mean by they reserve the right to tell the court about it, referees only to the matter of costs. If they succeed they will then show the curt the letter to show that you should have taken an offer and saved them costs. The fact you didn’t can be used to justify a higher cost award. But they cannot and must not show that letter or the offer to the court until judgement has been given either way.

I hope that helps.