• Tweets

• That is great news. Many people would have given up and paid after losing two appeals so well done for hanging in and fighting. It has paid off and they have finally backed down before getting whipped in Court. I looked at your NTD and your NTK again to see if there was a chance of going for a breach of your GDPR. Sadly although your NTK on its own could have well deserved a claim, the NTD is good enough not to warrant a claim even though it wasn;t compliant with PoFA. As it is the first Notice that mostly accounts for  GDPR breaches there is a reasonable cause for the NTD to have been issued. However you are now freed from worries about appearing in Court and you have learnt about the dangers of parking especially where the rogues that patrol private parking spaces are concerned. Thank you for making a donation and should you fall victim in the future to the parking rogues or anything else that we protect from, you are always welcome .
    • Hi guys I'm about to submit the defence as per below     There has been no reply to our CPR 31:14 request.  Is it worth adding that I (driver, not registered keeper) didn't actually enter or park in the car park and was sat at the petrol station forecourt the entire time?  Or is that covered by the simple points?   Thanks
    • a DCA is not a bailiff and cant enforce anything, even if they've been to court who are they please? sar to the original creditor FIO isnt applicable they are not a public body. who was this query sent too all the more reason to teach her young upon how these powerless DCA's monsters  work... she must stop payments now  
    • Unsettling the applecart?,  I'm going to be direct here, I know how this works , I've been in far worse situation than your relative, and I can assure you , now that there i likely a default in her name, it makes absolutely ZERO difference if she pays or not. Denzel Washington in the Equalizer , 'My only regret is that I can't kill you twice'... It's the same with a default, they can only do it once and it stays on your credit file for 6 years if she pays or not, and as it stands right now she's flushing £180 of her hard earned money down the toilet  so that the chaps at Lowell can afford a Christmas party. As for the SAR this is everybody's legal right, originally under the Data Protection act 1998 and now under GDPR, it's her right to find out everything that the original Creditor has on her file, and by not doing it the only person she is doing a massive disservice to is her self. As the father of 2 young adults myself, they need to learn at some point.. right?
    • Thank you for your pointers - much appreciated. dx100uk - Apologies, my request wasn't for super urgent advice and I have limited online access due to my long working hours and caring obligations - the delay in my response doesn't arise in any way from disrespect or ingratitude. I will speak to her at the weekend and see if she will open up a bit more about this, and allow me to submit the subject access request you advise - the original creditor is 118 118 loans and from the letter I saw (which prompted the conversation and the information) the debt collection agency had bought the debt from 118 and were threatening enforcement which is when she has made a payment arrangement with them for an amount of £180 per month. It looks as if she queried matters at the time (so I wonder if I might with the FIO request get access to their investigation file?) - the letter they wrote said "The information that you provided has been carefully considered and reviewed. After all relevant enquiries were made it has been confirmed that there is not enough evidence present to conclusively prove that this application was fraudulent.  However, we have removed the interest as a gesture of goodwill. As a result of the findings, you will be held liable for the capital amount on the loan on the basis of the information found during the investigation and you will be pursued for repayment of the loan agreement executed on 2.11.2022 in accordance with Consumer Credit Act 1974"  The amount at that time was over £3600 in arrears, as no payments had been made on it since inception and I think she only found out about it when a default notice came in paper form. I'm a little reluctant to advise her to just stop paying, and would like to be able to form a view in relation to her position and options before unsetting the applecart - do you think this is reasonable? She is young and inexperienced with these things and getting into this situation has brought about a lot of shame regarding inability to sort things out/stand up for herself, which is one of the reasons I have only found out about this considerably later Thank you once again for your advice - it is very much appreciated.    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Erudio/Drydens SLC Loan CCJ - Advice Please - Set a Side claim proceeding.

owk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It was a 30min hearing, I now have 5 weeks to submit all documents and my evidence.

There were initial discussions between judge and solicitor re Covid restrictions and changes etc...I had previously filed evidence but Solicitor said she didn’t have it. 

The next one will be 90minutes and I need to submit my defence. With a timeline etc.. and what was said to me & when- even if I don’t have all of the evidence to hand. 

Solicitor wanted me to submit my evidence before theirs, but the judge said no and that she had given her directions. 

There was also a long discussion about emailing of evidence - judge said fine / but solicitor said not sure if D’s could accept it that way. Judge queried why this would be. 

I said the solicitors witness statement was very generic and would they be providing more evidence / as I already have Erudio SAR and SLC SAR

I wanted the judge to know I already have these, as I was scared they would try and change/ add to it. I also said if I opened a FOS complaint would it have any bearing on proceedings, as I have been awaiting the final response from SLC since February! 

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Ok thanks! I will do that first thing. I’ve got some notes from earlier.. will message anything else tomorrow.  Yes will certainly take your advice re email address. Thank you again. 

I wasn’t given the opportunity to say anything like that - the judge did not want to hear the evidence in this hearing and said so from the outset... . so I certainly did not want to annoy her. 

The judge also asked if we had been in negotiations beforehand, the solicitor said they had spoke to the claimant yesterday and kind of made out they were really hurt by this and couldn’t possibly consider a settlement with me.

That made me chuckle a bit...I said I had replied “yes” to mediation and the other side had not - but apparently this doesn’t count as is a free service. 

I said I had a mountain of paperwork bank statements etc,.and then the solicitor started going on about did the court have a page limit on evidence etc...? 

Hello, 

I am drafting my defence ahead of the trial. This was a successful Aside in April 2021 which is now going to a full hearing. 

Any tips gratefully received...The claimform was issued June 19. 

1. If the hearing was on the 08.11.2021 - am I correct in thinking I now have 14 days to submit my defence?

2. Full hearing was discussed to be held in 5 weeks time. I have not had a letter from the court yet - but these are the timescales discussed. 

3. I would like to send a SAR to Honours to confirm all payments made, am I able to ask for a delay to the hearing, so I can present all of the evidence I have? 

The court have asked for a timeline which I am in the process of collating. 

Many thanks as always. 

DEFENCE_16112021.pdf

If last payment to SLC was feb 2014 (albeit incorrect)  how can it be S/B if their initial  claim form was sent to incorrect address in 2019?

I surely need to prove why the payments were incorrectly being taken in 2013 due to SLC mishandling my deferment (Erudio & Honours)  before sold to Erudio and assigned March 2014??

If the claim is fresh from today - it is definitely SB, what is the legal clarification on this, following a successful set aside

Will the court definitely  work from the June 2019/ July date or from 2021? 

Hi I’ve had no post or email from the court. Am I correct in thinking my statement still  needs to be in within 14 days? I cannot get through to the court.... 

DEFENCE

1.     I received the claim  from the Northampton Court on ...... 2020 as the Claimants claim from was sent to an address I no longer resided at …….

2.  Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically    admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim is for a Student Loan agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s statement of case states that the account was assigned from The Student Loan Company to Erudio Student Loans Limited on 22.11.13 with a new master reference number

.6........0. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7. It is denied that The Student Loan Company served any default notice on the Defendant pursuant to S87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant default notice was served upon the Defendant.

8. The claimants claim form was issued more than 6 years after 2011 which is the last date of deferment according to the SAR from the Student Loan Company. 1(evidence attached)

The Defendant did not receive this notice as the original creditor had not amended the defendants address correctly on 09.11.2013.   2 (evidence attached).

9..The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

10..In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

11.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed ________________________________

Dated  ________________________________

Ok thank you both  is it just the 14 days I have to file this?

I’ve had nothing from the court, and cannot get through by phone ? 

I’m thinking of writing to Erudio with a s/b letter, and ref their own SAR document.  

I had sent one to Drydens last year and they completely ignored it.. 

that was the next hearing after the sucessful set aside. I believe I had filed a defence to an incorrect email address and drydens were trying to say I had not filed a defence. I had also hand delivered it to the court so I am really confused. 

Erudio Timeline

1997 -2000  Student Loans granted. 1 with Honours and 3 SLC Company. Shared Borrower Status. 

2001-2011 Loans deferred annually with Student Loans deferred annually with no issues.

2011 – Last successful deferment to Student Loan Company

2012 – Got married and changed my surname. The Student Loan Company unfortunately did not action this change correctly.

2012- July maternity leave imminent – applied to defer was told to contact Student Loan Company later in the year.

Oct 2012 Student Loan Company did not process my deferment correctly -as per The Student Loan Act 1998.

2013 -May, moved house and updated Student Loan Company in July 13. Old phone number removed but address not added.

2013 November – Student Loan Company sold loans to Erudio, but as my new address not updated by the Student Loan Company no paperwork ever received from regarding Notice of Assignment.

2014 March Unknown payment from ESL Limited, contacted bank who advised it must be a scam as it was a new direct debit that could not be set up without my permission. The Bank cancelled this direct debit immediately.

2014 May/June- Contacted Student Loan Company to chase my deferment forms who said I had to speak to Erudio. Erudio had a recorded message saying speak to Student Loans Company.

2014- May, June, July- contacted Erudio and SLC many times who said I was not able to defer and not allowed any deferment forms.

2016- Notice of Termination.

2017- Moved House

2019 July Judgement in Default received.

2020 November – Found out about the judgment.

2021- Application to Set Aside Judgment.

2021 November – 30 minute hearing.

Is this ok for timeline? thank you! 

Edited by owk

In the County Court at XXXXXXXX Between

Claim No: XXXXXXX

Erudio Student Loans Ltd     Claimant

AND

XXXXXXXX   Defendant

DEFENCE

I, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX will say as follows.

I make this statement in response to the Witness Statement dated XXXXXXX November 2021 by the Claimant.

Background

1.     I entered four (not 3 as stated incorrectly in the Witness Statement of the Claimant) Agreements with the originating Creditor, the Student Loans Company (SLC) to which the Claimant also signed and agreed to be bound by its terms and conditions.

2.     As outlined in the Claimants SAR sent to me on 24.12.2020 and referenced in the Claimants bundle, my last successful deferment was 2011. Page 1 of 29 – ref Account Information Erudio SAR.

3.     On 22.11.2013, a Notice of Assignment was sent out by Erudio, the SLC direct debit mandate was cancelled on that date and invalid.   

4.     Erudio managed to set up a new direct debit under ESL Limited in March 2014 which was unknown to me and without my consent. The bank advised me it must have been a scam and cancelled the direct debit.

5..  A letter of maturity/ demand in full pages 8-9 of SR1 referenced in the Claimants bundle dated 28.10.2016, this was served several months after the initial breach, thus the cause of action delayed by over 31 months and the limitations period prolonged to 6 years and  31 months which in effect allows the creditor in effect allows the creditor to stop time running and the creditor having effective control of when a limitation period begins or even starts to run.

Ref your last message - I have a paper copy only of the March set aside Claimants bundle - it looks the same is there anything I should be looking out for? 

Thanks- if this is ok I am going to send in tomorrow. 

Sorry posted this in the wrong place!

• It’s been 14 days today  since the hearing on Nov 8th. I’ve had nothing in the post  from the court, and still can’t get through on the phone. I’ve tried many times. 

The number just rings - they talked about 5 weeks in the hearing - but I’m worried the deadline for the defence will be today??