• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

VCS CCTV PCN - No Stopping - Outside entrance to southend airport SS2 6YF (Lay Rep too) ***Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I could do with some assistance with a NTK.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

Background:

The Driver stopped to load a disabled passenger and a bag.

The area was deserted all bar one other vehicle and it was dark and foggy, vehicle stopped for no more than 1 ½ minutes

Someway before the the area in question and before a junction, there are two signs stating “no stopping on access roads” there is no signage to say which are access roads, all other signs relating to the area in question are (conveniently for them) placed low down on Iron railings at 90 degrees to any vehicle using the road i.e. not facing the driver.

The NTK states:

The “Reasons for this charge”. Are, “104 Stopping to pick up/drop off in a restricted zone.”

The charge notice states a “the period of parking to which this notice relates to immediately preceding the time of event stated in this notice”

So is it parked or stopped to load?

The notice says that if you were not the driver, you CAN notify them of the drivers details.

If I were to supply the drivers details would that not be against data protection legislation?

I can't think that I am under any legal obligation to supply that information.

ANPR charge

1 Date of the infringement 28th 12 2020

2 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date] 4th 01 2021

3 Date received 09 01 2021

4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [Y/N?] no

5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? yes

6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal]  no

Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up n/a

7 Who is the parking company? Vehicle Control Services LTD

8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Outside entrance to southend airport SS2 6YF

For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under. No . How to Appeal says www.myparkingcharge.co.uk

There are two official bodies, the BPA and the IAS. If you are unsure, (International Parking Community) IPC

If you have received any other correspondence, please mention it here none

TIA

2021-01-04 NTK For PCN incident 2020-12-28.pdf

• dx100uk changed the title to VCS CCTV PCN - No Stopping - Outside entrance to southend airport SS2 6YF

Thank you for the assistance so far.

What better way to while away a few lock down hours than to  read about Vehicle Control Services and Mr Smith. Having done so,   as far as I can see I just await  the  inevitable,  more scary letters with road signs on? or a Letter before action.

"Your  PCN does not mention PoFA but at the bottom of the first page it makes an attempt which fails".    Is that something I can use at  a later date?

I am still slightly bemused by the fact that the NTK states that the charge is for stopping,  but that the charge notice was given as a result of parking?  the car could not have been doing both at the same time. Probably only a small point, but small points seem to matter in these cases.

Thinking  out loud and as a matter of interest.   If  the keeper passed on the driver details to VCS within 28 days and  the driver then did not pay or respond to the claim then it seems it is assumed that the keeper should be responsible,  does not seem to be either fair, reasonable or reliable  grounds for a court case

• 2 months later...

Hello

what appears to be the Letter Before Claim has arrived.

I have got this far with the response.

Dear Simple Simon

With reference to your speculative invoice Ref VCS 0000

There is absolutely no intention of contributing to what must almost certainly be your healthy income by paying the above without substance claim.

Conversely the next time your vehicle comes to a stop. if you would like to dip into your without merit income, please forward a cheque in the sum £160 to a Charity of your choice.

I draw your attention to your original spurious invoice dated 22/02/2021 which states “REASON FOR CHARGE 104) STOPPING TO PICK UP/DROP OFF IN A RESTRICTED ZONE”.

Thank you for your reference to Parking Eye v Beavis. Which may have had some relevance had the vehicle in question been parked.

In the same manner, you may wish to refer to One Parking Solutions V Ms. W claim number F0HM9E9Z.

As the case is more relevant, it would be more beneficial for your future victims to include that in favour of your current suggestion. I am sure your Debt Management Team could further their legal expertise by studying the case.

As Southend Airport is not “relevant land” under the POFA it would appear that you have contravened the GDPR by obtaining information from DVLA without justification.

Please provide evidence of authorisation (not an employee as in the One Parking Solutions V Ms. W ) that your are empowered to collect or issue charges of any kind on Southend Airport which is governed by it's own Bye Laws.

If you commence legal proceedings, all and full costs will be sought including costs so far plus the current Court interest rate should it become applicable.

If there is no response within 14 days the matter will be considered closed.

I am a bit out of my depth here so any help on any further additions or removals is much appreciated.

Not sure if it matters at this stage, but the identity of the driver has not been disclosed to the opposition. demand for Payment.pdf

Thank you so much for sorting out the upload/pdf business, much appreciated.

The advice given  is very reassuring, thank you.

I was assuming as the letter had  "the company intends to take you to Court" and it had all other  relevant details that it was the LBC.

I am trembling in my boots because " my account has been passed to our Debt Collection Team". I am not really sure how they can give me an account without my consent?

During the research I read somewhere about someone who had taken DVLA to task over them inappropriately  giving out the driver details, did anything  positive come out of that? I could not find the outcome of that case.

I am still totally astounded that VCS can operate a business that,  at least in this case an outright and without question  scam on the public.

Incredible that in  modern day society with all the consumer rules, regulations and laws that Parasites like the Pieman can operate with impunity , beyond belief!

Thank you for your assurance. The trembling in my boots was tongue in cheek to be honest. They probably put a different hat  on to be raised to the dizzy heights of  the  "debt management  team"

It made me laugh that I now have an account with them, maybe I should ask for an advance !

Still interested in DVLA  giving out details when they should not.

Thank you for that. Further ammunition should it be required. I will be back when and if the LBC arrives..

It is so annoying having to go through having to waste our time researching something many of us have no idea about and  all the worry of whether or not we will end up in a  Court. I can see how the predatory behaviour of these companies result in folk just coughing up, as it is an easier option than going through the alternative.

Thankfully there are still some decent people left to assist  those who do not like to be taken advantage of.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I was wondering if they will pass this on to a debt collection company?  and how would I deal with them should they arrive on the doorstep. I am a bit worried about this as I am a tenant.

Due to the way the house is laid out it is usual for callers to  knock on the landlord"s door, rather than walk round the back of the house.  For obvious reasons I don't really want my landlord to be thinking I am being chased for debts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Seems like they have woken up.

The LBC  has arrived along with a very detailed reply form, which unless I am advised differently I will not waste my time on. Can't believe they have the cheek to ask for so much information including a Standard Financial statement

Section 4 of their reply form Box 1-1.   "I need more documents or information".

Would it be a good idea to ask  them for proof of their authority from the owners of the Airport  for  imposing and collecting  parking charges on their behalf. Seems to me to be  a reasonable request from the recipient of a LBA letter from a company that is threatening Court Action. Surely  without that  authority  that they have nothing?

Or is it time to tidy up/improve  the Simple Simon letter above?

thank you

NN

Is the letter in the  above ( post no. 9) ok to send ? anything to add / remove

VCS PAPLOC.pdf

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me.

FTMdave thank you for the response letter I like it a lot. More to the point and giving nothing away. I will send it off and  hope that will be the end of it.

nn

• 2 months later...

Just an update. Seems like the letter sorted it as I have not heard back from the parasites at VCS.

For future victims, at the time of the no stopping incident; the only two signs advising no stopping belonged to Southend Airport Authority. So I do not see how VCS  could ever win a case for no stopping as they do not have their own signage.

• 1 month later...

Another update.

A "NOTIFICATION OF INSTRUCTION " From ELMS Legal arrived in the post. Threatening yet ANOTHER  court action.

It says all the usual things one might expect and ..  " We have been instructed to recover the sum of £160 in respect of works done to recover an outstanding Parking Charge Notice (PCN) issued to the vehicle bearing the registration mark of for breaching the Terms and Conditions situated at Southend Airport "  (Reg. mark not omitted )

I have plenty to say in a reply, but should I bother and if I do,  Is there anything I should not say?  This is starting to become annoying wasting time over this.

TNX

NN

• 1 month later...

Hello. Well He has the Gonads. Court claim arrived from County Court Business Center  With VCS being the Claimant and Elms Legal for sending Documents to.

The claim form was dated 2nd Sept

Particulars of   Claim:

1. "The claim is for a breach of contract for breaching the terms and conditions set out on private land.

2.The Defendants vehicle  ABC 123 was identified  in the Southend Airport on 00/00/20 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions: namely stopping to pickup/drop off in a restricted zone .

3. At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and or driver.

4. The Terms and conditions upon entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance  and n in prominent locations. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct.

5. The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply, namely a parking charge notice will be issued , and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability.

6. The Claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest "

Amount claimed £160.

Court Fee      £35.00

Legal representative's cost £50

Total amount   £245

As I understand the way forward and initial steps are to :

Go to MCOL website and note the long gateway number, register as an individual. log in.select respond to a claim and select the AOS box . then using the details required from the claim form.

Defend all

Leave jurisdiction unchecked, click through to the end and exit.

Then send a CPR 31.14 to elms using the template on CAG

Hope that is still the correct procedure .

Thank you

Ok Great thank you, I will get on and do that today. I read in one post that simon had chucked Elms so I was surprised to see their name.

I have not been near  South end Airport lately. Hopefully I have to go that way next Sunday, so I will get some updated signage photos (and risk another PCN by stopping to read).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I could do with some more help please.

I sent the CPR request and received the response which contained the agreement between Southend Airport and VCS which was signed by S. Simon and one Finance Director.

Is there a case to refer to regarding the Contract requiring two signatures to be viable? I Found this under the companies Act.

2)A document is validly executed by a company if it is signed on behalf of the company—

(a)by two authorised signatories, or

(not clear to me if that is two from each company)

(b) by a director of the company in the presence of a witness who attests the signature.

(Not witnessed on the agreement).

Do Elms or VCS have to provide me with further paperwork for me to counter? Or is the Particulars of claim on the Court Papers and the reply to the CPR request the extent of their evidence?

They did not provide any Planning Permission documents and stated that they do not hold any other documents in this case and anything further should be requested from VCS. Seemed a bit odd to me as they are under instruction from VCS.

The NTK continues to say that that “the Period of parking to which this notice relates is the period immediately preceding the time of event stated in this notice” but the PCN is for Stopping, is that of importance?

Is there anything more substantial than the VCS signage is prohibitive and therefore not contractual. Or is that enough?

thank you

Hello

Thank you

That has cleared things  a little for me. The witness statements were a bit confusing as the claim form does not mention Witness Statements. I have probably read every Airport post, and I kept seeing WS'S and could not workout when that happened, Got it now.

Hello.

I have been  doing my research for the future. I have been looking at the  service agreement/contract between VCS LTD and Southend Airport  which was sent  as a result of the CPR.

I checked the companies named on the agreement (VCS and Southend Airport) with companies house on the government site . The Company number given for VCS Ltd on the agreement comes up as London Southend Airport Company Limited.

And the company number given for Southend Airport Company Limited shows as belonging to East Midland International Airport Limited.

Also at the top of each page it has "Contract no:/draftVCS-CCTV/AC/AS" 

Am I missing something here?