• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Jay vs First Direct

scubajay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent my request for all my statements including the £10 cheque on 24/10/2006. The cheque was returned, and they took a while but the statements came within the 40 days.

On 21st November I sent the 1st claiming letter, for the sum of £1330.64. They have since replied with the standard "we're looking into it and will reply within 10 working days" letter.

I am ready to send letter 2 and start the court process as of the 5th of December which is the 2 week limit date.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Actually........I think I made a mistake.

I looked through what I can and cannot claim, and I added the O/D fee on there as well. I have since read that this cannot be claimed, and leaves me hoping to get £600 ish from FD. Will they see this error and offer me the right amount.....or will I have to send an amended claim?

J

NO NO NO!

You CAN claim this... this has been covered in here countless times... First Direct charge an Overdraft Fee the first time you exceed your limit each month, subsequent times they call it an Excess Overdraft Fee. You can claim both, so you haven't made a mistake at all.

I hate to think how much FD are getting away with because some people aren't claiming this - but I don't understand why they don't. Does anyone remember agreeing to pay FD £30 a month just to have an overdraft available?

Sorry for shouting but I'd hate to think of FD winning!

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

androobe, shout as much as you want! My heart sank when I read the 2nd post but your post has put a big smile on my face, thanks for your input!

FD Telephone Monkey: "But we're only trying to help you Mr. Volcano"

LMFAO!!!!!

I have no problem with being shouted at at all. Thank you very much for the update......it also put a smile on my little mush. I did think the amount excessive,but couldn't see agreeing to paying that every month. As the charge was only there when I when over the agreed limit I thought it wise to add to the tally.

Thanks for the help. Good news is good, no matter how loud the volume!!!

:)

Here's a thing. I received a letter on the 23rd November stating that FD had received my complaint (my request for the chargs) and that they would endeavour to reply in the next 10 days.

I still have not heard anything, and tomorrow the 1st set of 2 weeks is up. I am going to send off letter 2 tomorrow, the letter before action as I intend to stick to the deadline, but I was wondering if FD are stalling hoping I would give in.......any thoughts?

I have noticed FD are slowing down on their responses, but I'm guessing it's because they are getting so many claims AND so many complaints about the new account charges too that they are struggling to cope. Send the LBA and hold tight. You'll probably get an offer soon, but have no fear if not you'll get it after you file your MCOL. Whatever you do don't settle for any less than the full amount... preferably with interest.

___

I had a similar response from FD, or more to the point lack of one. They never replied to my 1st letter, but when I sent the LBA, they replied almost immediately telling me to get stuffed (not quite those words of course) so now I've gone to Court stage. Good luck with your action and keep us posted.

Well......the battle continues.

I sent my letter before intended action just now, and the clock has reset for 14 days.

I am going to start swotting up on the next stage as it looks like they want to see how serious people are before they make offers or payout.

I received a letter this morning from the department of Mr. Robert Kernagahan stating that they would make me an offer without prejudice of: £1046.

I was tempted but then noticed that they are not voiding the charges they intend to take in December (£80) and they had knocked off £100 of my accrued charges in the offer they made. I tried to call them to get these bits sorted so that the offer could be accepted, and they have given me the FD 8 week time limit to accept the offer. As they are still taking money from me, and unwilling to talk on the phone to me to resolve the last charge and the £100 I am going to let it run until the 19th (when the 2nd set of 2 weeks is up) and then start with the court claim.

As I gave them 2 weeks from the 5th I reckon it wise to let them have the 2 weeks, as I want a full refund of al the charges. Next step - Small claims court!!

Any advice?

I am claiming £1230.

£80 of that refers to a charge they are deducting on the 17th of December (that they won't stop!!) and £100 odd that they just decided to not pay. On the strength of close but not close enough I am staying the course.

Do I stick to MY timetable, or start the next stage as they have made an offer?

Thanks for the heads up Gordonf.

I found the template, and am sending a letter to FD tomorrow via recorded delivery stating that I will accept their offer of payment only as a part payment of the whole set of charges. I also reminded them that I am going to be sticking to my timetable and that the court papers start on the 19th. Considering their massive workforce it is not reasonable to expect them to contact me before the court papers get submitted.

I did feel a little greedy, but then recalled the difficulty these charges have put me in in the recent past, and that they didn't really care too much for my troubles when I asked them to.

You can't start judgement unless they don't respond within 14 days of the claim being deemed served... or 28 days after if they acknowledge and then don't follow it up with a defence.

___

Is the 28 day period after acknolwledgement, working days or calendar days? In my case FD acknolwedged on 1st December so with Christmas and New Year it would give them until about the 10th January if it's calendar days.

That's assuming that they do intend to submit a defence of course.

It's 28 calendar days, but thats from when it was deemed served, not from when they acknowledged. It's deemed served 5 days after you filed it (I think), so basically add 33 CALENDAR days from when you filed.

___

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice and tips will be appreciated.

I just checked on MCOL which I do daily as I have 2 claims going on, and the FD claim has changed to:

"Defence(20/12/2006)".

I know now that I have to wait for the AQ to come through the post, but what is up with the date being 20/12/2006? Does that mean that they filed for defence then? If so, does that mean that the date for me to respond has come and gone and I have now lost my chance to get the charges refunded?

The only reference to the 20th I have in all my papers is that the 20/12/2006 is the same date that FD offered me £1230 which was my original claim amount before MCOL fees. The £1230 offer was made to me after I had already filed MCOL though.

I am a little confused as I have had no post or mail or messages from either FD or the Court people to inform me of this. I have a horrible feeling that I am going to be the crash test dummy for the banks to fight back at court and crush someone.

:eek: