• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BJT76 vs The Shabbey

BJT76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all fellow Abbey bankers, I am new to this forum so will probably spend the next 3-4 days reading and getting the feel of all the treads. Just like to say that reading some of the posts already has lifted a huge weight of my shoulders to know that I am not alone when it comes to reclaiming what is legally mine!!:)

Hi BJT and welcome, the FAQ's and step by step instructions as well as the link to money claim and the spreadsheet with interest are all at the bottom of my thread, take your time and familiarise yourself with the terms that are used and soon it will all become clear :-)

If you need any help and advice there is generally someone around that has been there and done that and can advise.

Hope this helps

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hello and Welcome BJT76

We are all at various stages of US v Shabbey and they do their utmost to wear us down. Don't let them get to you, it's your money and they will give it to you in the end. So just keep bashing away, and if you have any problems or just need someone to have a chat to about where you are and where to go next, then this is the place to come.

I've found everyone more than helpful.

HI THERE, welcome to the abbey forum, all i can say is keep reading and gathering as much info as you can, be careful as it,s addictive!!!

Any hurdle you come to at any stage will be overcome as some-one always helps you out as i,ve found on here.

good luck!!

abbey - claiming last 3years at 3451.99

sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter 20/07/2006

40 days up on 30/08/2006

recieved reply from abbey 26/07/2006 standard reply!!!!:(

still waiting for other 3 years worth of statements 25/08/2006:shock:

30/08/2006- 40 days up!

lba letter sent(for non compliance of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) 31/08/2006 14 days to reply.

request repayment of charges letter sent 31/08/2006 14 days to reply.

08/09/2006 -recieved standard reply reg lba.

09/09/2006-recieved letter from abbey asking me to phone them to discuss my account.

account now in dispute pending outcome!!

16/09/2006 sent lba 14 days to reply.

22/09/2006 GOGW paid in acccount-800

22/09/2006-reply from complaints regarding gogw.

Lula/Luddite/Bogmonster..Thank you for the warm welcome, with any luck I'll be posting my first letter within the next few days, nervous but angry as well as they have managed to make me feel like im in the wrong for incurring charges in the first place, ive given up on speaking to them over the phone, i mean business now!!!:-)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, today is the first day of my claim against the Shabbey, Ive got my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) all ready to send to Triton Square but b4 I send it I was just wandering, if its a joint a/c, do both named a/c holders need to be stated on any letters? Its a joint a/c with Mrs. BJT76.

I am a bit nervous about this but the more threads I read the more confident I get. The Shabbey have kept me trapped in a vicious circle of charges for the past 3/4 months to the tune of £150-£200 a month which has meant I have incurred further charges for the following month!!! Ive got to hand it to 'em, they know how to make money!!!:-x

Just a trio of quick q's,

1. Do I have to ring them and talk over the phone as every conversation Ive had with their call centre has never really been helpful, just annoying:sad:

2. Should I send my SAR recorded delivery?

3. On the SAR, can I remove the part saying I will be happy to collect my statements at my branch?

your help is very much appreciated!

BJT:D

hi

i have started a similar thing with the abbey.

sent off S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

recieved 14mths statements and a letter saying the rest had been microfiched and would be sent out shortly.

recieved everything JUST within the 40 days.

did my spreadsheet for reclaiming my charges and sent it with the first letter requesting repayment.

i recieved a letter from the complaints dept telling me they would look into it and get back to me in 4 weeks!

this is a known thing with the shabbey to stall but phoned them today and told them they could take 4 weeks to reply if they wanted but they only have until the 10th of december to refund all my charges or i would be sending them the 2nd letter which will give them another 14 days then there will be no further contact i would just start proceedings with the courts also claiming the interest.

all of this i have done in my name even though it is a joint account.

but i did make sure all letters regarding our account were detailing both account holders names.

i did get my hubby to sign the first letter to reclaim charges though just to be on the safe side.

now its just a waiting game!!!

hope this helps if not go onto the SHabbey forum there are so many people to help you through it.

good luck

lou:D

Thanks for that Lou, Ive added Mrs. BJT to the letter just in case. Im off to the Post Office soon to send it! Cant wait!! Also, letter received today stating that my overdraft is to be re-paid in full on the 1st January 2007!! Happy New Year..........:mad::mad:

yeah am waiting for them to do that to me i have a 1750 o/d but if they want it back let them have it, i am claiming 2450.00 in fees so if nothing else it will clear my o/d.

what concerns me is that they are doing this to their regular customers.

if they get funny with me am gonna move my mortgage, insurances and everything else.

two can play their game!!!

will keep you updated.

lou:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

"Tis the season to jolly tra-la-la-la-laa-la-la-la-laaa...." or maybe not for Mr. Ebeneezer Abbey.....

Got a statement today, informing me that on the 29th of December (yes, thats right,3 days after Christmas!!) they Shabbey will be raiding my account for £780 worth of charges!!!!!! Laugh? I nearly fainted!! Do they honestly think that i will even have 780 pennies in my a/c on that date!!!!

So what will happen, bearing in mind that they have already said my overdraft on £1,700 is to be repaid in full on the 1st of January (New Years Day?!?!?) If the funds arnt there to cover these charges, will the increase my overdraft?

Also, is this a new record for charges incurred in one month?

:lol::lol:

Hi Karnevil, Ive nearly moved all the DD and SO's over to my wifes a/c now so thats a weight off my mind. They wont actually be able to take this £780 as it wont be there, will this cause me problems?:confused:

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have now (at long last!!) received all of my statements from the shabbey and will be going through them with a fine toothed comb to weed out all of the charges. As far as reclaiming interest charges goes Im a bit unsure as to what I should be looking for and what I can claim back?? :confused:

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!