• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

tax credits and need to ring them for my childcare costs to be checked - ** RESOLVED **

Terrifieddebt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Absolutely terrified

ive received a letter saying I’ve not made any changes to tax credits and need to ring them for my childcare costs to be checked and if I don’t ring then they will arrange a telephone interview.

the problem is my kids haven’t been attending childcare and also claim is single when it should be joint. I’m in such a mess and so scared I don’t know what to do. 

im going to ring them but am I going to end up with a criminal record and losing everything? 

It says it’s because I’ve not changed anything for over a year that they need to talk to me. 

they’ve not asked for any evidence just that I need to ring them to speak to them and advise them of my situation. 

do they normally take to court? 

• dx100uk changed the title to tax credits and need to ring them for my childcare costs to be checked

It says once they receive all the information they’ll be able to tell me what happens next and that if I don’t contact them they will ring. It’s looking at April 2019 onwards. 

ive looked online and all I find is about benefit fraud and making examples. There are cases on here also but none of the same thing and mine is not only childcare but the single claim too. 

I’m scared it’ll go to court and I’ll end up with a criminal record or even worse going to prison. 

my other half has no idea as we haven’t been in a solid relationship 

Dx I have had a read and they seem to be understanding, I’ve seen a few on other sites that had ended in court etc do you know what I should expect? 

Hi 

I’ve found this on this group 

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/18110143.union-reps-29k-benefit-cheat-shame/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39502276

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-31000-benefit-fraud-exposed-21016504.amp

there’s quite a few posts that don’t have outcomes. 

im so worried and in such a mess. I don’t know how to tell my other half and think he will leave. I have a 15 week old newborn too. 

I think my partner will leave when he finds out, if he does and the shame will mean my family will stop talking to me but I know I should have come clean and I’m not going to bore you with my sob stories.

i think it’s because not only do I have the childcare I also have the it should have been a joint claim element. 

looking at the at the threads there’s only a few that’s updated the circumstance and how it was resolved. I also notice how mine just says to ring as opposed to send evidence 

what’s best things to search? 

I have looked on netmums but they are a lot of dwp jsa or housing benefit things 

Do they normally not ask for evidence and just get you to ring? I’ve never known that or is it an interview under caution? 

shall I just be open with everything and tell them about my partner? 

do you think it’s best preparing family and my partner in case it does go the opposite way? 

they do still have their places at the childminder but I’m on maternity and was on long term sick also due to issues in my pregnancy. 

im just really not sure what to expect and so scared and I can’t do anything until Monday. I’m trying to pretend everything’s ok with my family and concentrate on my 15 week old but I just want to escape and get away from it all. 

I know it’s my own doing but sometimes life gets in the way 

my claim was definitely legitimate at the start then this past year it’s been on and off with the relationship and very rare with the childcare element. 

the letter says it’s to check if my claim is right and for me to ring up to discuss it, then they’ll make a decision. It’s from a chris howarth. Is this a standard letter? 

Thank you for your response, I’ve almost finished reading through the forum posts of others. 

im just extremely panicked and worried and suppose I’m still a little hopeful that I can keep it quiet from family and my partner so I don’t lose them and my kids, although I feel at the moment I deserve to and they’d be better off without me. 

I’ve tried uploading a pic of the letter but it won’t allow it.

I’ve not told my partner yet.

I’m going to ring first thing Monday.

Tomorrow is our Xmas day with my mum and I don’t know how I’m going to keep it together 

i suppose whatever is going to be it’s going to be I just really hope they don’t want to make an example of me. 

they are wanting info from April 2019, shall I tell them everything? 

I thought it was a compliance letter investigating

thank you for your help 

Ok I will do, shall I tell them my claim needs to be amended to a joint one or do it online? 

do you know what they will ask? From all the forums I’ve seen they normally ask for you to send in documents or for something specific not to ring 

Do you think they will want to start criminal proceedings? 

Edited by Terrifieddebt

I literally have had no sleep because I’m so worried about what the outcome will be and wish I’d not been so stupid. 

I keep reading different forums and there’s a few that have resulted in court but most are overpayments. Do you know of any? The debt is going to be about 10k with hmrc so it’s a lot of money plus I already have an overpayment with them from years ago. 

I seriously don’t know what to do. I agree I should tell people but I’m so afraid he will leave. I can’t eat and can’t sleep

@honeybee13That’s a good idea. I feel terrible hiding it but I am scared that it’s not just going to be an overpayment. I have been looking online and a lot seem as though the claims had denied stuff or tried falsifying things. Should I amend my claim to joint now online or just wait to talk to them hopefully tomorrow ( I’m not sure on Xmas opening). 

@dx100ukthat is my problem of agreeing to repayments I can’t afford. 

dx are you confident when you are saying it won’t be criminal proceedings? 

@unclebulgaria67
when you said it’s not a compliance check, why do they send them? Is it a tip off? 

at the moment I can’t even function.

Thank you. I’m really hoping I’m not the one that it is. The more I’ve looked I think a lot of the time it’s when people have continued to lie or had dwp involved.

did the letter just look generic? It confuses me as they’ve not asked me to send anything as of yet, just ring. 

will they already know? 

Thank you so much that’s put my mind at ease.

tomtom would they have already invited me for an interview under caution? I just found it strange how they’ve just asked me to ring and if not then they’ll arrange an interview

Shall I confess to everything including that it needs to be joint on the phone also? 

thanks again 

Hi 

do you know if the interview would then be criminal proceedings?

I will be open and honest with everything and give them as much information as possible as would rather have the debt to pay back than completely have my life ruined and have it hanging over my head. 

we won’t be making a joint claim and he is unaware of any of this but I have my reasons due to him leaving and coming back etc. 

If it was an iuc are the outcomes harsher! 

I’ll be fully honest with them.

That is the only letter I have received from them so would you say it is like a get of jail free card and just an invitation for me to own up, it’s weird how they’ve not requested evidence at this point.

I think I’m scared I’m going to ring up in the morning and make everything worse and they will escalate it then. 

is it normal for them just to ask me to ring up? 

thanks again, I know I am probably covering and asking the same things but I’m trying to prepare myself.

Thank you.

if think it’s definitely given me the kick up to him to start dealing with Debts etc and sort out my b

I’ll come back once I know the next stages and what’s happening. Why are the hmrc more lenient than the dwp? I’ve read cases where people have been punished for A lot smaller amounts. 

I think it’ll be a relief At the same time getting it off my chest and not living a lie 

So after all of that worrying I spoke to a lady on the phone who has updated the claim, I will get a letter explaining everything and there’s no further action. I am crying because it’s such a relief. It was just a general check to make sure everything was up to date as I’ve not contacted them. 

thank you so much for every bodies help, now to run my credit file and open a new post. 

• Like 2

• honeybee13 changed the title to tax credits and need to ring them for my childcare costs to be checked - ** RESOLVED **

I do. I must admit I woke up dreading ringing but just thought I’m going to do it. There were no questioning or anything just that she would put a referral in to get it sorted for last tax year and she would update this years. I had already updated everything online in the middle of the night too. 

childcare and single claim all cancelled but upon unclebulgarias advise I thought I’d check other things and realised we hadn’t applied for the 16weeks child benefit 

• Like 1