Ambiguous potential speeding fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm really stumped about something-

Yesterday I was driving down a dual carriageway that went from a 40 to a 30 and there was a speed camera van that could have clocked me doing maybe 37 ish.

The thing is, the speed camera van wasn't parked on the dual carriageway, it was parked on a road that goes kind of parallel to the dual carriageway (the dual carriageway ended right here with a junction) and the camera was facing down that road (probably within my scope). It's a 20 limit road.

I looked on the police website to see the list of all the different locations they park their speed camera van, and each entry even comes with a small map of where the van sits.

For the dual carriageway, the diagram shows the van being at the end of the dual carriageway, near the junction, whereas the map diagram for the parallel road showed the van kind-of where it was parked when I saw it.

What I'm trying to establish is whether I would have any chance of fighting a potential fine.

It would be worth it for me if I could.

Possibly I could argue that they're not on the same road as the one they're looking at, and the angle could affect the accuracy of the speed gun.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the 30 zone I drove in goes from a 40 which would be in view of them, and the road they're supposed to be looking at is a 20 zone.

I don't know if that makes a difference?

I've tried googling all this but come up with nothing.

I can't find any mention of any occasions or mentions of mobile cameras watching multiple roads at once.

I'm a bit of a worrier so if anyone could shed some light or have any experience with this kind of thing that would be great, at least I'd know!

Many thanks

doubt it would have clocked you.

I believe there is another thread here of the same vain

nothing became of it.

as long as your are the reg'd owner of the car and would get the NiP.

I believe they have I think 14 days to send the NiP out?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah that sounds hopeful, thanks for the quick response man I really appreciate it.

Love your avatar pic, cool album, I've seen him play a few times and big PF fan, respect

it all makes perfect sense.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If the speed gun is pointed at you from an angle it would indeed affect the accuracy of the reading... by making your speed appear lower than it actually was. So that wouldn't be a good argument to reply on.

(For those who remember A-level physics what the speed gun is measuring is the component of the vector of your velocity in the direction of the speed gun. Which is the cosine of the angle between your heading and the speed gun. If you're doing 40mph the speed gun will show a reading of 40 if you are driving straight towards it, 38.6 at an angle of 15 degrees, 34.6 at an angle of 30 degrees etc. So any error caused by the angle always works in your favour.)

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that! I would have looked pretty silly if I'd tried to argue that.

Well it's been 1 week and nothing. I figure that this could also take a bit longer as I was using a work van at the time. I'm under the impression that it can sometimes take longer for a letter to get to you if they have to get your driver info from someone else.

Thanks again folks. I'm still a bit on edge about the whole thing. I'm hoping that in case a NIP does come through that they'll let me go on the speed awareness course. I've never done the speed awareness course but also already have points for speeding so I'm hoping that doesn't make me disqualified from being able to take the speed awareness course.

The first Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) and request for the driver's details goes to the Registered Keeper (RK). It is only this NIP that is subject to the 14 day rule. There is no time limit on subsequent NIPs (in fact they are not even legally required though they are almost always provided) and no time limit on any of the requests for driver's details (including the first one). The RK may be your employer or it may be a leasing company from whom they lease the vehicle. If it is the latter the lease company will nominate your employer (because the lease company would not know who was driving) and it would be up to your employer to name you. Both of them have 28 days to respond so it could be up to two months before a NIP and request for your details is sent to you, though usually companies turn such requests round pretty quickly. 

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, MITM. I recall reading something saying that company vehicle drivers were pretty much exempt from this but wasn't sure, there's so much misinformation out there. I've gone through the majority of the message board threads and learned a whole lot. For example, it may have been you that mentioned that the van doesn't legally have to be in any location. I guess that means in my case it means that the speed van could have been looking down my road after all.

Do you know if you can still be offered the speed awareness course if you've already had points from the same police force, but didn't get the option the first time? It's Avon & Somerset if that makes any difference.

Thanks again

The only criteria for being eligible for a course is that you must not have done one for an offence that occurred in the three years prior to this one. Points have no bearing. Most forces offer different courses for general roads, motorways and 20mph zones. You can do one of each of these in a three year period. There is one other complication with offences that occur in Dorset but that should not be an issue here.

Edited by Man in the middle

• 1 month later...