• Tweets

• yep. they are all simply trading names of perch to try and scam people into thinking their debt is going up some kind to mystical legal chain...which is BS. all dca's pull these stunts and have done since the late 1970's
    • just type no need to hit quote. what you really need to do is forget about it now they have  just steer clear of THAT ONE STORE for a few months. other B&Q's are OK. even if you do go back in, they'll simple ask you to leave, then if you return again, could invoke trespass laws BUT WE HAVE NEVER SEEN IT HERE. as for getting out of your tree about police, prison, criminal record, arrested, knocks at doors, letter of claim....NONE OF THE CAN EVER HAPPEN. and has not on these joe public low level shoplifting incidence since 2012. you've already got a scary letter ratchetting on about some mystical FAKE civil restoration scheme .  you'll probably get a few more ...NOTHING THEY CAN EVER DO. bin shred burn give to your pet hamster any money people pay CRS/RLP/DEF etc regarding their letters goes straight into their pocket and off they go down the pub and LAUGH at people they mugged. the retailer never sees a penny.  i admire your action of send £5 to B&Q. its done now and its over with....move on with your live. dx
    • 4.  Under The Pre-Action Protocol 201?, a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior too and including ,The Pre action Protocol Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claimform dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018. 9.   The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2nd February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None were received by the court nor the defendant by that date. re: 13 & 15...they dont need to produce the deed, thats a private b2b document only the judge can demand sight of. i would remove 13 totally as within their WS they have produced the Notice Of Assignment. and delete it from 15 a few ideas. dx  
    • Underp04 (I think it was him) put up the statement IDR used in court from some supposed expert mr edge. can you find it? It stated 10 years was the statute barred limit but also that the laws were very confusing. very much worth digging out!
    • You'll be fine don't worry.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

my Leasehold/Freehold property and its issues.

The existence of a Tomlin Order (a type of Consent Order, often with a confidential Schedule) isn't in itself confidential. The Terms agreed under the TO (in a confidential Schedule, not filed with the court) are the potentially confidential part.

They could sell the debt (unless it is part of the agreed terms that they don't!, which you should consider...).

They can (and should!) inform anyone they sell it to that there is a Tomlin Order. They might say that there are confidential terms. They can't reveal those confidential terms without breaching the order, if they were agreed to be confidential.

I'd suggest making it explicitly part of the conditions that they can't sell the debt, or if they try to that they must reveal to any potential purchaser that there is a Tomlin Order with confidential terms, but can't reveal those terms ...... that should put off any potential purchaser!.

You've misunderstood.

HPMum owes X amount to "the company".

She had claimed for Y amount from the company, and they've agreed Z amount for the Tomlin order.

Both Y and Z are less than X.

Afterwards, she'll still owe them X-Z, a debt they are entitled to sell on.

The original action gets 'stayed', by the TO.

the TO creates a NEW contract between the parties, on the terms of the Order.

So, if the terms are breached there are 2 potential ways it could be litigated:

1) re-starting the existing stayed action, or

2) a NEW action (not on the same PofC as the original claim, but instead for breach of contract, the TO being the new contract ....).

A court might choose to not allow the original action to be re-started, insisting on a new claim instead for any breach, but this is less likely if the "with liberty to apply" phrase is included in the TO terms.

• 3 weeks later...

The lender appointed agents.  One of which is also marketing an almost identical property - bit smaller, less outside space and no nice views, but fresher refurb - in same tiny street - 45% more expensive!”

“Marketing” doesn’t mean it will sell for that, and they may have to wait to get any interest / a sale.

What is most likely key is the way it was sold;

a) if auctioned (unless the auction wasn’t advertised!) they’ll claim it sold at “market rate” : the rate an auction attracted!

b) if not auctioned and the comparable (less desirable?) property goes for a higher value soon : much easier to claim sale at an undervalue. Expect them to claim the refurb made all the difference, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, then, clearly you (you say you are the rep. For the FH : do you have authority to act as their agent?) are aware of the lender’s actions. Are you / the FH trying to make themselves unavailable? (see your other thread about service of notice!).

Are you in contact with the FH ?

Simplest resolution for the FH (or you,?if you have their authority to act) : contact the lender, remind them they have repossessed the lease (only) ......

Edited by BazzaS

You say you are the “rep” for the FH, but it is still unclear if you have authority to act (as their agent) for them : you’ve been asked this but haven’t answered.

If you have no authority to act : you have no rights in the matter.

It is also unclear so far:

a) if you are in contact with the FH

b) if the FH knows what is going on

c) what you are actually trying to achieve here, and

d) What the FH wants,

and c) and d) aren’t necessarily the same!

Do the Trustees know what is going on?

What do they want?

(I don’t know what you mean by “Protect FH”, any attempt to sell the FH would fail at the conveyancing stage, if not before!), so I’m not sure the estate agent and lender who has re-possessed will “end up in trouble....”

Do the trustees really want the property left boarded up with no actual tenant in-situ?

Are they aware this may lead to the property deteriorating and then being worth less?

Edited by BazzaS

The redress the Trustees have is to remind the lender that it is only the LH the lender has.

Trustees aren't doing themselves any favours by not communicating with the lender : "we want damages because the lender has boarded up the property, but aren't engaging with them, and deliberately aren't contacting the lender" - that won't fly. The Trustees have a duty to mitigate their loss before they can claim it.

Trustees wont suffer loss by "sale of the FH by the lender" as it is, at most an error, and would get caught at the conveyancing stage, if not before.

I'm still unclear why the Trustees don't just contact / engage with the lender .......

Edited by BazzaS

To be clear - the original lessee suffers financially every day the agent doesn't sell the leasehold property.  

And there we have it. Up until now, it has been lender (who repossessed the lease), and freeholder, being discussed.

You wouldn’t be / be connected with the original lessee, by any chance?

What with you trying (other thread) to establish the FH had never had notice of the repossession, and the lender had no way of contacting the FH, which seems at odds with “trustees have been in touch by e-mail”.

If you are / have a direct connection with the original lessee, AND you are an agent for the FH, you are at risk of breaching a fiduciary duty, if you let your interests towards the first affect your duty towards the second.

If you don’t have that connection to the original LH : stop looking to “punish” the lender / estate agent, and start working with them.

Edited by BazzaS

10 minutes ago, HP Mum said:

Bazza - Im not sure i understand?

Lets get the situation entirely clear, then.

Were you the person who held the lease that the lender repossessed?

If not, do you have any direct connection to them?

Are you acting purely for the FH (The Trustees), or do you have any interest on behalf of the original lessee? 

I can’t really say it any better than Ethel Street just has.

I’m still left with the feeling there is more going on here (based on the lack of response to queries here, and the overall ‘tone’ of both threads : OP asking the same question over and over, sometimes in different ways, but lack of engagement with the lender, with evasion as to what is REALLY wanted as an outcome).

Hopefully, if someone disagrees and has an answer for the OP they’ll join this thread : me, I’m joining Ethel Street .....

Is this related to one or more (which?) of your previous complicated Landlord / Tenant and Mortgage repossession threads.

if so, knowing which would help disentangle the complexities : the background could be critical, but it is difficult to know which are and aren’t related.

You might consider getting the individuals to post here themselves, rather than you posting multiple (linked or not??) complex scenarios.

Thanks for the pm.

I’d still suggest you consider posting (openly, on each thread) which threads involve which people, so people get the benefit of any relevant previous, without them all getting confused.

If any thread is an update on a previous thread, consider asking the Mods (site team) to merge them if the previous adds useful background.

Odd that there is a repossessed and unsold property.

are there other debts as well as the mortgage?

my reason for asking is that if the property is as yet unsold, how can they claim for a ‘mortgage shortfall’ if they don’t yet know if there will be one, and if there is one how much it will be.

Either the bankruptcy can be fought off on this basis, or there is more to the story.

An additional factor to consider: Is going bankrupt a good or poor option for the alleged debtor?

If they were considering going bankrupt but didn’t have the fee to hand : the mortgage co. might be “doing them a favour”!

It depends on if bankruptcy is a good option or not for them.

Often it isn’t, but sometimes it can be, with the “slate wiped clean” benefits.

• Like 1

I suspect they are “playing the ‘long game’l

a) they expect you to go for a set aside of the SD : if you don’t they get their B petition

b) they expect you to go for a set aside, but hope to get your address for service of a valid SD from it. If the address is good enough for you to use for court papers it is good enough to serve to.

c) If you go for a SD saying you don’t have an address, they agree to have the set aside heard at a hearing in person. Then then use that to serve you with a valid SD, served in person & in front of the judge hearing your set aside application ......... so they can say “not a shadow of doubt it was served!”

Edited by BazzaS

55 minutes ago, HP Mum said:

Bazza - yes correct. They loaned knowing it was lh too.

Nothing unusual about a LH mortgage, other than:

a) they routinely offer a lower LTV ratio

b) if the value of the lease isn’t increasing, the equity decreases over time, as the term remaining decreases.

b) may be of particular import if the remaining term of the lease is of the order of 80 years or less.

• 2 weeks later...