Help! Screwed By Car Salesman!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Would be really grateful for some advice. Here's my story :

My husband bought a Ford Warrior on HP approximately a year ago from Gates. It turned out to be unsuitable for his business so he approached the same salesman, explained he would like to get rid of it and would like to get some quotes for lease hire for two vans for him and his partner. Salesman said he would treat both transactions seperately. So, he told my husband the value of the truck, what he had paid and that it would cost just short of a grand to settle the finance. Husband paid on spot, took in the truck, signed and handed over logbook and that was that. A few days later we got quotes for the new vans from the Salesman. He was over £100.00 more expensive per van than everybody else so husband thanked him but declined offer. Salesman then rang husbands mobile over and over again yesterday and left "heavy breathing" messages (peculiar I know given he didn't hide his number!). Then last night we got a rather rude email saying could we please collect our Ranger by the 25th November as it "can't stay on our premises". Husband was baffled as as far as he was concerned it was paid up and done with, the cheque had been cashed and the log book returned. This morning we got a letter from GE Capital saying we hadn't made last month's payment. No we hadn't, because the direct debit was cancelled once the truck was handed over. Salesman had not informed GE Capital, nor has the money been passed onto them. They knew nothing about it. They say we have to make the payments and sort it out with Salesman and Gates.

We don't know what the hell to do! Husband has taken up lease hire of new van, we can't possibly afford to make both payments. My own view is that the salesman has either made a howler and is trying to cover his back or is so hacked off we didn't go with him for the lease hire that he is being "difficult". I have emailed him, setting out the situation and reminding him of the conversation he had with my husband (which incidentally was witnessed in its' entirety by my husband's colleague - who is equally baffled at the salesman's stance).

I have rung Trading Standards but have to wait up to 3 days for a return call. I feel we should seek out the salesman's boss and discuss it directly with him, as the guy is clearly mad! I am very glad that husband has at least got a witness!

Is anybody able to advise where we stand on this? I am pulling my hair out!!

Thanks so much for listening to my rambling!!!:)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Don't have anything more to do with the salesman concerned, it looks as though he 'took a flyer' by agreeing to take the Warrior as a 'part exchange' despite his comments about 'treating the two transactions seperately'. Whether this was off his own bat (unlikely in view of the circumstances) or by agreement with his superior is debateable.

Gates are quite a large concern and I'm sure this is not the way they do business usually. Make an appointment to see the General Manager/Director of the branch concerned. Take with you all the necessary paperwork and explain the situation.

Also, take proof (bank statement and cheque stub will probably be OK at this stage) that the cheque has been cashed. (Incidentally, who was the cheque your husband handed over payable to? Gates or GE?)

If it was me I would also take with me a letter setting out the facts and setting a timescale for reaching an agreement satisfactory to me (a Template Letter could be amended for this).

If GE haven't been informed then they are right in what they're saying.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Don't have anything more to do with the salesman concerned, it looks as though he 'took a flyer' by agreeing to take the Warrior as a 'part exchange' despite his comments about 'treating the two transactions seperately'. Whether this was off his own bat (unlikely in view of the circumstances) or by agreement with his superior is debateable.

Gates are quite a large concern and I'm sure this is not the way they do business usually. Make an appointment to see the General Manager/Director of the branch concerned. Take with you all the necessary paperwork and explain the situation.

Also, take proof (bank statement and cheque stub will probably be OK at this stage) that the cheque has been cashed. (Incidentally, who was the cheque your husband handed over payable to? Gates or GE?)

If it was me I would also take with me a letter setting out the facts and setting a timescale for reaching an agreement satisfactory to me (a Template Letter could be amended for this).

If GE haven't been informed then they are right in what they're saying.

Hi there, thanks so much for your response. Actually, a couple of things have happened in the interim. I sent an email pretending to be my husband to the salesman concerned, setting out the sequence of events, the fact he has cashed the cheque, the fact we have a witness etc etc and he has SO not replied, despite sending us 50 million emails over a couple of days! The deadline to remove the Ranger from the premises was today. Not a peep from them. I think they know they haven't a leg to stand on. Furthermore, I was telling my father about it and OH MY GOD he actually has a friend/client relationship with the Chief Exec of Gates. RESULT! I can't name names or my father's relationship with him because of my father's job, but suffice to say, it is a VERY useful contact, especially given the harassment phonecalls we have had. My Dad feels that as the car was sold back to Gates and they accepted the cheque and log book that they haven't a leg to stand on in any way. Also, the Salesman promoted GE Capital as their in-house finance company, this turned out to be absolute rubbish, so Salesman's threats to "blacklist" us are, in fact, empty.

Husband made the cheque out to Gates, as advised by our friendly Mr Salesman, but since it has been two weeks, it should have been credited to the account. I agree with you about GE Capital, it isn't their fault, it is Gates' fault. I am drafting a letter to them, copied to Gates, with all relevant details ie : sale of Ranger back to Gates, copy of bank statement and cheque stub. I feel we have fulfilled our part of the bargain.

The ridiculous thing is, we would have continued with Gates with the lease hire of the new vehicles, but they refused to even try and be competitive, it wasn't as if they weren't given the opportunity. What business person in their right mind would choose somebody who was going to charge them £300.00 more per month than everybody else???!!!! It was purely a business decision not to stick with them! Idiots or WHAT?

Anyway, I am so very grateful to you for taking the time to respond to me. I promise to keep you posted with any developments!

You're a star!!! :):):)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Anyway, I am so very grateful to you for taking the time to respond to me. I promise to keep you posted with any developments!

You're a star!!! :):):)

Aw!!! You're making me blush!!! But seriously, I'm pleased a result looks to be on the horizon for you.

Just as an 'after thought', when you write to GE, (in view of the importance of this letter, I'd send it Recorded Delivery if I were you), make sure you ask for the removal of any 'markers' they might have put on any credit file of your husband's with a CRA. After all, it's not your fault Gates failed to fulfil their part of the bargain and pay GE, is it?

When you make contact with Gates I would stress to them too that they should make clear to GE that the reason for the non-payment of the monthly payment was Gates' fault, not your husband's. Try to get Gates to copy this letter to you s well so that you have 'proof' should it be needed later.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!