• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Southern Water/shumans/Shakespeare Martineau claim form - debts from 2007 - 1st claim struck out - now 2nd claim.

Bekki0405
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What have you received from court....? a Notice of Proposed Allocation... or Notice of Allocation?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So you have the Directions Questionnaire N180...dont be inclined to fill it in ...you must fill it in its the next part of the process.. and file and serve a copy on the claimants solicitor by the date stated..failure to complete the DQ will result in your defence being struck out.

This allocated the claim to track ...Small claims in this instance and transfers the claim to your local county court.

Simple to complete.

Yes to mediation (you are expected to participate in mediation whether it actually happens is another matter)

Yes to SCT

State your local county court

1 witness...you.

The rest is self explanatory tick boxes.

Run 3 copies ..(Court/Sol/file) you can use the following link to complete it on your PC....looks far more professional than pen.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406099-LEGAL-N180-Directions-Questionnaire-(Small-Claims-Track)-**Correct-at-Sept-2016**

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

You cant fill it on line...you complete it on your computer and print 3 copies

No.... by all means attempt settlement..the further this progresses the more it will cost SW.

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2019 at 12:12, dx100uk said:

the claim is not struck out it is stayed.but 99% prob going now where now.

you are in the driving seat.

pers id put in another application for what surfer01 suggests

don't be pushed in to doing anything like I&E's etc

The claim is not stayed DX...DQs have been submitted and Notice of Allocation to small claims received.

Are we not past mediation ...the court has issued directions......8th April ?

What is the full text of the Notice of Allocation.....are there any directions that you must comply with and by date ?

If you could but you think there are no directions for you to comply with....some Caggers dont read it fully and miss directions that they must comply with..then its too late... now you wait until the 8th April ..give or take a few days and if they fail to comply with the court directions you could request sanctions be imposed..IE... Strike out their claim.

No there is nothing for you to do at the moment apart from wait until the 8th April and see if they do comply with the courts orders and send you a response....inform the court if not.

Andy

It wont show on line with the claims status...this is a seperate directions order...you will have to check with the court.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask the court to impose sanctions if they have failed to comply .....IE Strike out the claim.

Its an option but normally the court expects you to make an application to request it which would incur a fee.....but if your Order states that the court will strike it out if they fail you can simply request it and the court actions it of its own volition. 

• 4 months later...

You have won on a technicality so to speak.....but it can be reversed if the claimant makes application for relief from sanctions......but unlikely.

Well done thread title amended.

Andy

• AndyOrch changed the title to Southern Water/shumans claim form - debts from 2007 ***Claim Struck Out***

Yes if you genuinely owe.....but nothing in connection to claim ...costs/ fees ..only true water debt. 

• Thanks 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Southern Water/shumans claim form - debts from 2007 - 1st claim struck out - now new claim!!

Are the particulars the same...same amount claimed... same dates ?

Name of the Claimant ? Southern Water Services

Date of issue – 12th December 2018

Particulars of Claim

1.The Claimant is a statutory water and sewerage undertaker to the Water Industry Act 1991 (the Act)

2.The Claimant claims the sum of £4559.62 for unpaid water and/or sewerage charges payable under s.142-144 of the Act and the Claimants’ Charges Scheme.

3.The unpaid sum of £4559.62 is for water and/or sewerage services provided to the Defendant(s) at XX XXXXX XXXXX (my address is here) for the period 11/07/2007 to 09/07/2018

4.The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 09/07/2018 to 11/12/2018 on £154.90 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of £1.00

Name of the Claimant ? Southern Water Services 

Date of issue –  30 Mar 2021

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? 

1.The Claimant is a statutory water and sewage undertaker pursuant to the Water Industry Act 1991 (the Act).

2.The Claimant claims the sum of £4380.99 for unpaid water and/or sewage charges payable under s.142-144 of the Act and the Claimants’ Charges Scheme.

3.The unpaid sum of £4830.99 is for water and/or sewerage services provided to the Defendant(s) at XXXX for the period 14.01.14 to 23.07.20 Interest at a rate of 8.00% to 26/03/2021 amounts to £236.21 and is increasing at a daily rate of £0.96. 

AND THE CLAIMANTS CLAIMS

(1) The principle sum of £4380.99.

(2) Interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 of £236.21 and

(3) Continuing internet on (1) above from 26/03/2021 to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.96

• AndyOrch changed the title to Southern Water/shumans claim form - debts from 2007 - 1st claim struck out - now 2nd claim.

Joint names as in 1st and 2nd defendant on one claim form ?

So 1 claim form both names on and one claim number.?

Lets start again...by saying same claim number signifies 2 claim......how many claim forms have you received 1 or 2 ?

If 1 does it have both your names on ?

If 2 does it have both your names on ?

Strange...well as long as there is only one claim number...but you will both have to acknowledge service (this should have already been done claim issued 30th March 2020) and both have to submit a defence and separate CPR 31.14...everything in duplicate.

Your defence will have  to be adapted this time using the initial defence but updated to inform the court of their previous claim and being struck out.

I can draft this for you which is due this Friday by 4.00pm

I’ll call the court tomorrow, to check about my ex claim form. He wouldn’t have received it as he doesn't live here. 

Last known address is deemed good service...so unless he advised SW of a new address...then thats not going to wash with the courts.

He needs to try and do an acknowledge of service ASAP.....if the system will let him and a bar has not already been put in place.

• Like 1

Particulars of Claim for reference only.

1.The Claimant is a statutory water and sewage undertaker pursuant to the Water Industry Act 1991 (the Act).

2.The Claimant claims the sum of £4380.99 for unpaid water and/or sewage charges payable under s.142-144 of the Act and the Claimants’ Charges Scheme.

3.The unpaid sum of £4830.99 is for water and/or sewerage services provided to the Defendant(s) at XXXX for the period 14.01.14 to 23.07.20 Interest at a rate of 8.00% to 26/03/2021 amounts to £236.21 and is increasing at a daily rate of £0.96. 

AND THE CLAIMANTS CLAIMS

(1) The principle sum of £4380.99.

(2) Interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 of £236.21 and

(3) Continuing internet on (1) above from 26/03/2021 to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.96

Proposed Defence

I Mrs XXXXXX being the joint Defendant in this claim , accordingly I set out my case below and rely on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been I made.

It is brought to the courts attention that the claimant has previously issued this claim on (date) under claim number (xxxxxxx) which was struck out in the XXXXX County Court on ( date xxxxxxx).The particulars of claim are identical with the dates and alleged amounts slightly changed.

Again as in the previous claim the claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (pre action protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017. It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.

It is accepted that I currently reside in an area that is serviced by the Claimant as a statutory water and sewerage undertaker pursuant to the Water Industry Act 1991 (the Act).

The Claimants claim of £4882.20 for unpaid sewerage charges payable under s.142-144 of the Act and the Claimants' Charges Scheme for the period 14/01/14 to 23/07/20 is denied. The claimant has never billed or contacted or requested this amount and is put to strict proof to evidence this fact.

Furthermore the claimant is prevented from billing for a period of more than 6 years pursuant to the limitation act 1980 and has failed to follow its own Code of Practice therefore years 2014/15 and 2015/16 are denied.

I have requested further information with regards to the alleged debt by way of a CPR 31.14 request. The claimant is yet to comply.

I  had previously requested information from the claimant with regards to making a payment arrangement or through the Watersure scheme but have had no reply to my communication.  I was not offered a payment card, or any offer of help, despite my contact to state I have a disabled child.

It is therefore for the above reasons that the claimant claim is denied

• Like 1

I did rephrase the defence and wasnt actually referring to back billing the legislation...see edited defence above.