how much for!

wintermare
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how much a timing belt should cost to replace for a renault megane2000/y reg as i have been told it is £420 by renault .

They also told me it was £230 to get my discs and shoes replaced i thought this was a bit pricey but it really does need done?

they told me this during the service,so i told them forget it.

As the service was £90 and my tax and tyres had just been done two weeks before as well.

does the work really have to be done by them for my warrenty.

1)wintermare vs abbey

SETTLED £1901

y/2000? What kind of a warranty do you have? Any standard manufacturer warranty would have expired by now, did you take additional ones?

Anyway, if the car is under warranty, then yes, it has to be done by one of their garages or you might -will- invalidate the warranty.

You have to ask yourself though, if you're paying for additional warranty on a 6 yr old car, whether it's worth it, when so many minor repairs + warranty will probably end up costing you more in an dealership than one major one with a good generic garage.

You are more likely to have expenses on wear and tear stuff than on a warranty-covered part anyway.

Well, that's my point of view anyhow.

It was a 2 year parts and labour reg vardy warrenty.I bought the car second hand and it still has till november left.

I have already used it to replace the coils so i suppose i got my monnies worth out of it.

1)wintermare vs abbey

SETTLED £1901

Hi as long as the parts fitted to your car are classed as "matching quality" and the work is carried out by a reputable garage no manufacturer can deny a warranty claim on the basis of not using dealer servicing or genuine parts (this applies for brand new vehicles as well as second hand) this has come about following the new block exemption regulatons, the ATF have bought test cases against most major manufacturers and won.

For parts to be matching quality the manufacturer must supply some o.e. parts. ie Delphi are oe supply for several vehicle manufacturers so all there braking parts are said to be matching quality.

If your warranty is an insurance backed one from an independant car dealer check with them but as very few car dealers do servicing as long as work is carried out at reputable (VAT registered etc) garage this should not be a problem.

Timing belts on modern cars are expensive, but the labour rate varies massively from garage to garage, main dealers are about £70+vat per hour GOOD independants who send their mechanics on decent training courses about £45+vat back street garages from £20 upwards. An oe spec timing belt kit with all tensioners will be between 70 and 150+vat depending on what engine you have in your car. DON'T be cheap and just get the belt changed, make sure you have the tensioners and idlers changed, most don't last for 2 belts the you get a big bill to replace the engine. Try to get SKF or Gates kit fitted as these are the best.

£230 for discs and shoes probably isn't too bad as to do the job properly (again slightly guessed prices as I don't know the exact details of your car and I'm not at work) about £40 pads, £70 discs (these could be lots cheaper if a small engine) £45 shoes, couple of hours to fit.

Hope this helps

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with mike main dealers do charge a lot more than an independant garages we charge 35 an hour where our main dealers are charging about 70.and mike is right you dont have to go to a main dealer for your servicing as long as the garage stamps your service book and you keep within the mileage guidelines you are covered, if you would like to pm me i can give you a name of a reputable belt manufacturer its the one we use all the time ( I dont think we are allowed to advertise here)

As for a garage you can always ask your trading standards they do spot checks on garages from time to time .well they do down this end of the country and they will be able to recommend one to you no doubt

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Renault Megane, depending on engine size 50-80 + VAT for belt & tensioner kit (OEM). Brake Discs 11-30 + VAT per side, Pads 14.50-42 depending on model and whether you wanted performance brakes or not. All prices quoted are from GSF (German, Swedish and French) motor factors.

Lindsey

Sorry but on modern cars with higher belt change intervals you are taking a huge risk not changing the pulleys, the service life on a pulley or tensioner is about 80k at best, if your belt change interval is at 50k which most renaults are then the tensioner and pulley wont last the second belt unless you are very lucky.

Also you will probably not be covered by warranty if the tensioners are not changed, I run a motor factors and have seen several garages have warranty claims rejected when a belt failed scrapping the engine because they tried to do the job on the cheap and one of the idlers or tensioner failed causing the belt to slip.

From personal experience I would never change a belt without doing the job properly, my missus runs a little Fiat Cinquecento and about 4 years ago it needed a new waterpump, got a mobile mechanic to do it and supplied belt, tensioner and waterpump. Cambelt had been changed 15k before, and clever mechanic decided not to change the tensioner because "it looked ok to me" about 6k later doing 70mph on the motorway the engine starts to misfire. Tensioner had failed due to being released and reset and the belt had slipped luckily the fiat has a non interference engine and just needed a new belt and tensioner, one of our work vans needed £3000 work when a similar thing happened.

Sorry for the long post but I really wouldn't gamble £50-£75 quid against a new engine especially on a 6 year old car that might not have had the job done properly before.

Mike

Oke, so its a difference of opinion.

Im a qualified mechanic. Pulleys are only usually done if they are sounding out. Most last the second belt change.

The pulleys arent done as standard. It genertally depends how much money the customer wants to spend at that point in time & whether they are thinking long term.

Oke, so its a difference of opinion.

Im a qualified mechanic. Pulleys are only usually done if they are sounding out. Most last the second belt change.

The pulleys arent done as standard. It genertally depends how much money the customer wants to spend at that point in time & whether they are thinking long term.

I also am a qualified mechanic our garage always change the tensioners/ idlers as comes with a kit unless the customer says not to ....then they sign a disclaimer......., My wifes tigra engine suffered a head when her cambelt idlers broke up (£1600) if it wasnt under the networkq warranty so no matter what anyone recomends its foolish not to replace the lot then you are sure to be covered

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Renaults are particularly bad for tensioners and pulleys going so it is safer to err on the side of caution. They should be done at least every second belt change but manufacturers only ever give you the mileage they should be changed at not a time limit which is important because the belts like all rubber do perish.

Lindsey

Hi Guys, I also work for a Garage and i would never, ever put on a new cambelt without replacing the tensioner. Absoloute waste of time not doing it for what they cost.

Just my 2ps worth..

I have had 3 of my personal cars last the second belt change without doing the pulleys. All other cars Ive always done the pulleys.

As I said, in my eyes its how much the customer wants to spend.

The tensioner is a different kettle of fish to the other pulleys, as some cars need a modified one at some point.

I dont agree its a matter of urgency to get them done when the belt is done.The pulleys kits are roughly an extra £40.

If the customer doesnt have alot of money I dont tell them the pulleys are a matter of urgency. Because simply, they're not.

I do inform them there is a risk, but that its minimal.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a much older car and did my own cambelt and never changed anything and it was fine? All these jobs are made out to be alot harder than what they realy are.

Also the newer engines have made DIY jobs harder as you need all this electrical testing unlike old engines.

I suppose its different cars needing different aids.

BL

Can anyone tell me how much a timing belt should cost to replace for a renault megane2000/y reg as i have been told it is £420 by renault .

They also told me it was £230 to get my discs and shoes replaced i thought this was a bit pricey but it really does need done?

they told me this during the service,so i told them forget it.

As the service was £90 and my tax and tyres had just been done two weeks before as well.

does the work really have to be done by them for my warrenty.

no that much surely , find a local mechanic with a good reputation and you'll get it done for a fraction of that cost

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

1)wintermare vs abbey

SETTLED £1901

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks