• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

nnelson v Aqua Credit Card - **PAID IN FULL**

Jane Austen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received a letter this morning from Aqua telling me I am severely over my credit limit and if I do not act they will issue a default notice.

I am actually over my limit because they took out a £20 late payment fee, even though when I paid by debit card over the phone, they told me this would prevent a late payment fee! The original payment of £11.97 was recalled by my bank, due to insufficient funds, due to them having taken charges etc. etc. et al. This reversal has cost me £65 but I have already made my DPA request to the bank. However, back to the Aqua business. The amount by which I am "severely over limit" is £1.18!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it?

I phoned to complain and ask for the £20 late fee to be reimbursed because one of their staff had told me it would not be applied to the account. They offered me £10 reimbursement and so I asked them for all my statements which will, apparently be with me, within 10 workingdays. No fee asked for.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

• 4 weeks later...

Another threatened default - now because I owe them £5.49! I have sent a LBA which they seem to be ignoring. Surely if the money I owe is in dispute then they cannot follow through with a default

;) nn

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

That's the theory, at least

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Lovely lady phoned me to offer me half my charges. Only problem is, she means half of the last charge, not half of the total. I'm only claiming £186! She also informed me that a credit of £15.36 has been put on to my account. No idea where this has come from.

;) nn

Another phone call to inform me my account is over the limit and I am incurring more charges. I told this lady I was waiting for a reply to my LBA letter which they received (12th May recorded deliivery). They have no trace of it in connection to my account but it could be "in the system."

I told her that I had a record of its delivery and unless I receive my charges back I will be going to file a claim on Wednesday when I get paid. She asked me why and I told her they were unlawful and my account was only overdrawn because of them. She replied that they were not unlawful and were clearly staed in Ts and Cs. To this I said I would see them in court.

;) nn

Aqua now phoning regularly. Once or twice a day usually. Each time I tell them I am not going to enter into any dialogue until they have replied to my letter (LBA). They are in contact because I am still over the limit, due entirely to their charges.

On the few occasions when I have spoken further, I get the usual rant about T and Cs being fair and they can refund £10 of the last £20 charged.

They also assure me I will not be getting back any more than this £10.

I am filing a claim on the 31st.

Has anybody else experienced this harrassment?

;) nn

We are currently working on the specifics of a letter regarding this harassment for our own templates library. You might wish to use the following, but also be prepared to follow this up with a written complaint to the departments mentioned in it.

Good Luck

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act (1949) and I will report you to both Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

NAME HERE

This should do the trick, but, if it doesn't, keep your cool and report them to the Office of Fair Trading and your local trading standards office.

There is now a specific complaint form which you can download from the internet to make an official complaint and you can obtain it here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/nr/rdonlyres/b3999175-a9bc-469d-ad5b-ba284de36e01/0/complaint.doc

PLEASE USE IT

Remember, keep your cool at all times, don't be intimidated by a piece of plastic, if you don't like what you're listening to, put the phone down - and remember the most important thing of all is to put and get things in writing at all times.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

That's great Jonni, thanks. I'll send it on Wednesday and also mention that I've filed my claim against them.:razz:

;) nn

File claimed this morning.

Bring it on!:p :p :p

;) nn

just had an interesting telephone call from Aqua. I decided to listen for a change as he seemed sympathetic. He told me I was going about this in completely the wrong way and I should follow their complaints procedure etc right up to the Financial Ombudsman if necessary. He also said the banks had had a new law passed (his words, not mine) on the 31st May and it had been agreed between them and the OFT that they could charge, but it had to be no more than £12. This will come into force on August 1st. Because of this decision I would stand no hope of getting back all my charges.

Is this the banks' general interpretation of what the OFT stated?

;) nn

just had an interesting telephone call from Aqua. I decided to listen for a change as he seemed sympathetic. He told me I was going about this in completely the wrong way and I should follow their complaints procedure etc right up to the Financial Ombudsman if necessary. He also said the banks had had a new law passed (his words, not mine) on the 31st May and it had been agreed between them and the OFT that they could charge, but it had to be no more than £12. This will come into force on August 1st. Because of this decision I would stand no hope of getting back all my charges.

Is this the banks' general interpretation of what the OFT stated?

No!

Did you record the call?

The OFT have no power to amend the law. Furthermore, they didn't state that a charge of £12 would be classed as lawful.

The reason they want you to go to the Ombudsman is because the Ombudsman has to base their decisions on the banks terms and conditions, so would side with the bank (after you wait 8 weeks for a reply).

If they refuse to play ball, the only place to resolve this would be a court of law.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

No, I didn't record the call as they phoned me, yet again. I have already filed a claim against them which was deemed to be served today. I was concerned that the guy I spoke to seemed to genuinely believe that what he was saying was right and he tried very hard to convince me I was "going about things the wrong way." I did tell him he was wrong and there were several cases to be held as aprecedent but he seemed to think I was exaggerating greatly.

One thing he did say was that I was refusing to pay my minimum payment each month and there was a note to this effect on my file. I told him to remove the note as I had notified them of my new bank details and if they had not actioned them then that was their fault, not mine. He agreed to do that.

;) nn

They're saying what they've been told by their bosses, and probably have no knowledge of the true situation. A tape of a conversation admitting that they were in the wrong would do them massive damage from a legal point of view - and to their reputation if it was used by a national newspaper - and they're probably facing instant dismissal if they don't tow the official line.

Regards

Robert Brenchley

Received today the Acknowledgement of Service from Halifax plc who 'own' Aqua credit cards. They intend ro defend. It is signed by A O'Brien (RAH), Defendant's solicitor. Any ideas anybody?

Can I expect to wait the full 28 days or should I hear something before then? If this is a Halifax issue, should it be moved to a Halifax thread?

;) nn

• 2 weeks later...

Still no word. They have until 2nd July to enter their defence.

;) nn

I have a feeling they will refund you well before then!!!

Jonni

You were right!

PAID IN FULL!!!!!!!:-D :-D :-D :-D

All money claimed back in my credit card account today.

;) nn

Congratulations!!

That is excellent news!

Please complete our bank charges survey.

And a donation would be greatly appreciated. :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

CONGRATULATIONS

Well done for sticking with it....

Halifax 0 - 194 ConsumerActionGroup

(..........and counting)

Will be donating when I get my new card. They refused to replace the last one.

;) nn

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The amount by which I am "severely over limit" is £1.18!!!!!!!!! /quote]

lol2.gif

I'm sorry, I had to.

my husband went over his limit by 66p and they phone him on a sunday morning asking him to pay the 66p plus £12 for going over which we paid and then told us next month your account will exceed its limit when the interest is added result another £12 added and 4 phone calls from monday to thursday and the phone was slammed down on him when he said he could,nt pay . so what polite company aqua are

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

;) nn

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks