• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Xercise4Less / CRS issue with a twist - registration details never emailed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Issue: Signed up to Xercise4Less on 31 Dec 2012, was informed would be emailed registration details.

I never received them, so I assumed I wasn't signed up. At this point in my life I was unaware of how banking worked and did not have a grip on my finances due to other circumstances. It also didn't help they were taking money out of my account under Harlands not Xercise4less.

I tried to sign up again at some point in early 2014 and was told I was already a paying member. They had noted my email address incorrectly and I have moved flats. I am not aware of receiving anything in the post to confirm if I had registered at my previous flat.

I do not have the details of when this occurred, I decided to deal with it via email. So I chased with this:

Hi there,

I am hoping to come down today for my first day. I am a paying member but my email address was incorrectly noted down when I initially signed up over a year ago. I haven't been before so I don''t have a pass or any registration details.

Do I need to bring anything with me today if I do come down?

I never discussed the cluster**** of not receiving any contact from the gym and having paid for over a year of a half to a gym without receiving my gym details. As I believed I would not get a refund of any sort and I did not have any proof of their mess up except of them not having my email address down incorrectly.

I only went went a 3/4 times under a temporary code, I decided the gym wasn't for me as I had moved again and location wise the gym didn't work.. So I cancelled the DD without informing the gym as I believed this was my right (I guess I was incorrectly informed). This was done on 1 Dec 2014.

I have received no contact from the gym or Harlands until a week back and CRS is declaring I owe them £200+ via letter and are now spamming me with phone calls, half automated, other half hang up as soon as I pick up. The caller ID is numerous, sometimes their office, sometimes private, unknown, or mobile numbers I obviously don't recognise. So far there has been zero contact from me to CRS except for picking up phone calls and being hung up on.

I have read a number of other posts here, so what is my play? Do I just do the standard letter and offer the 1 month payment and continue ignoring the phone calls or do I have a case of any kind of refund for never receiving the registration details for the period I was unaware of over a year + until I emailed them?

The good news is I have a much better grip on my finances.

Hi there and welcome to CAG

Please see my PM (private message) to you.

Some info please :-

1. Have you checked back and found that you WERE, in fact, paying for this gym m/ship since Dec'r 2012.

2. What date did you last allow a DD payment to be made.

When you tell us, we can suggest what you should write to Harlands.

Stay OFF the phone and don't discuss this other than in writing.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

I did check my Direct Debits earlier today, my initial payment came out on Dec2012, last payment Dec2014. I believe I attempted to sign up to a 12 month membership which was on offer at 9.99 a month.

I am unaware of signing any paperwork, unaware of receiving anything in the post as it was from years ago. Only reason I know I chased up Xercise4less is because I checked my email via a search. That is the only email I have ever sent them.

I remember getting confirmation they had my email address incorrect. I tried to rectify this over the phone as I remember being agitated that they had it wrong and I wasn't aware of my rights. I still aren't the only reason why I am even bringing it up as I considered the situation partially my fault. Now with CRS chasing me for what I consider to be unfair I am willing to fight them to a certain extent if I have legal grounds to do so.

I have also replied back to your pm. Thanks, I apologise for the numerous edits in quick succession!

Hi citizen86,

Sorry but you have no grounds to reclaim any fees paid during the m/ship.

You had a responsibility to monitor your bank a/c and, if you saw money going out unexpectedly to Harlands or the gym, you should have dealt with it at the time. That would have unearthed the wrong email and postal addresses and the fact that you had signed up to the gym m/ship.

You should give at least 30 days notice when cancelling so you probably DO owe one more payment.

Use a suitable letter from another thread to offer Harlands one final fee to settle the matter.

Let us know how they reply and keep it in writing only with Harlands.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I kind of figured that was the case. Thanks for the info. I will send them a letter tonight. Do I send it to the main office?

A quick google brings up this address:

Harlands Services Ltd

2nd Floor, Rockwood House

9-17 Perrymount Road

Haywards Heath

West Sussex

RH16 3TW

Which template should I use? Can I use CAGmail? I just discovered this!

Hi citizen,

Write to Harlands at the address above. Get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO so you have proof of sending the letter.

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise4Less gym in [Town].

I cancelled my direct debit mandate in December 2014 and this was adequate notice of my intention to cancel.

However, I now accept that I should have made one final payment for the January payment and offer to pay this to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees that you are asking for as these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £9.99 in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Adapt this to suit your own case and let us know how they reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I sent the letter on the 30th April via CAGmail. I have heard nothing from Harlands yet.

CRS however has mailed me again on the 8th May, it covers:

Legal action steps, starting with a final letter of demand and taking me to county court

or

This will be outsourced to another collection agency.It say I got 10 days before either happens and I should contact them.

It says I got 10 days before either happens. I have stayed off the phones and not picked up any phone calls from CRS.

I take it my best action is still wait for Harlands to reply? Thanks.

Reply to Harlands :-

I refer to CRS's [email/letter] of xxdate.

This matter is in clear dispute and Harlands/CRS must not pass the matter on for collection activity. This would be a clear breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines which I will report to Trading Standards.

I await Harlands reply to my email of xxdate which set out my offer to pay.

Done, technically its been 14 days considering I mailed them on the 30th April. :\ I used CAGmail again.

CAGmail mentions my letter will be processed, is it possible the letter was never sent or is Harlands really slow at responding?

Hi Cit,

I'd say it's more likely that Harlands are slow to respond.

In any event, you need do nothing further for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, got another letter today from CRS stating that if I do not respond within 10 days they will pass my account balance to Zinc Group Ltd.

I am getting the feeling either CAGmail is not working for me or the address I have been sending the letters to are incorrect. I doubt Harlands would pretend that my letter was never received from a quick look at other threads. What do you advise?

Thanks

Hi Cit,

I don't know if your email letters have arrived safely so resend the ones in posts #6 and #8 using post, and get a free Cert of Posting as advised in my post #6.

Send them to Harlands saying :-

I wrote to you by email on xx date and xxdate but have had no reply.

I now enclose hard copies of the letters for your attention and trust Harlands/CRS will stop making further demands, failing which I shall make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.

• 1 month later...

I have attached CRS response, its dated 2nd July 2015.

They been ringing me and txting me even though I wrote to them. I eventually answered last week to tell them they need to write back to me. Then I said bye and hung up when they wanted to discuss "details".

Well that doesn't sound good at all reading the letter.

Hi Cit,

There's nothing unusual or worrying about this response. Just another lengthy reply, written to make you think they know what they're talking about.

The stuff about the AMSL judgement by Mr Justice Kitchin not applying, and the Dunlop case law about penalties is waffle in my opinion.

We know the OFT no longer exists but the Debt Collection Guidelines still apply. I'll check on this to make sure though.

I'd just write to Harlands as follows :-

I refer to recent phone calls and text messages from Harlands/CRS. I will only deal with this matter in writing and other forms of contact will be reported as harassment.

Referring to your letter of xxdate, I wholly disagree with your interpretations about the AMSL and the Dunlop cases. I note you reject my offer to pay £9.99 and that is now withdrawn.

As stated previously, complaints will now be made to The CMA and to Trading Standards.

Send by post.

Then see this post for the address for The CMA - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?442733-David-Lloyds-problem&p=4744811&viewfull=1#post4744811

Draft a brief complaint about Harlands/CRS :-

1. Making it difficult for you to cancel a gym membership, stating they cannot cancel until notice is given to the gym even though Harlands/CRS deal with the gym's admin.

2. Acting as if they are separate entities when they are not.

3. Harassing you with repeated phone calls and texts, despite the matter being in clear dispute and your request that contact be in writing only.

Send these to the CMA and to your local Trading Standards by post.

Thnx Slick you are a legend.

I will send these letters and update on their response. I an moving flats in the next 2 weeks. I take it is my obligation to pass on my new address? I rather deal with this now then them lose contact with me and track me down a year later or something.

Yup, tell Harlands and the others your new address.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the letters to all 3 on Friday. Unfortunately suffered a delay due to looking for a new place to live.. I got a txt on Friday from Westcot debt collection asking me to give them a ring. They have also begun to ring me today.

What should be my response? Whilst I wait for Harlands, CMA, local trading standards to get back to me?

Hi Cit86,

I doubt the call from Westcot was connected with with the gym case.

Harlands normally put on their CRS hat to initially chase for payment, followed by the Zinc DCA and then Majorlaw solicitors.

Let us know when Harlands/CRS contact you.

Westcot is Npower related, seems like they never got my final meter reading from my last flat. I used their automated system so its a bit bizzare. Calling them directly to resolve it.

I am currently on forever hold on their financial solutions department.

edit: sorted Npower issue, they may owe me money it turns out. They are withdrawing the westcot debt collection.

Will update when I hear from Harlands/CRS/Local Trading Stds/CMA

Edited by citizen86

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Looks like I sent the letter to the wrong CMA? (Competition & Market Authority). There letter says they do not respond to individual complaint/concerns. The letter however points me to contact the citizens advice consumer service.

The letter then goes on to mention the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) investigated contracts of fair terms here: https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/health-and-fitness-clubs-unfair-contract-terms

The letter finishes on an apology of not being able to help any further.

My local standards authority also points me to the citizens advice consumer helpline as well as able to make a complaint via direct.gov.uk or adviceguide.co.uk

CRS have sent me a circular with the "we are disappointed your account is still in arrears..."

They are still ringing me. I am half tempted to pick up the phone and tell them that I am recording the conversation and see if that deters them from ringing me any further.

I guess my next step is to continue to ignore CRS, contact the citizen advice consumer service?

Hi Cit,

You'd see from other threads here that The CMA IS the correct body. They won't look into your individual case but your complaint will be logged and will hopefully lead to them taking action if we get enough folk to complain.

Citizens Advice will not help your case at all, from past experience. But you could make complaints via the 2 online addresses mentioned by Trading Standards.

If Harlands/CRS are still calling you at all, write to them reminding them of your previous letter/email confirming that you will only deal with this matter in writing. Accordingly, the continuing calls from Harlands/CRS are being logged for a formal complaint of harassment.

Otherwise, I'd ignore Harlands/CRS for now.

Hi Cit86,

Just keep a note of the time and date of all calls or texts from Harlands/CRS.

Here is a call log I can make that I can tie directly to CRS via take or caller ID in my history. They have called me from private numbers too but I can't really include them as I am not sure which ones are from them:

Aug

4/8/15 11:59 01444449165

July

30/7/15 11:45 07717 775257 txt thnx for writing, call us

21/7/15 13:33 01444449165

16/7/15 11:01 07718 775262 txt: urgent to speak to you today

14/7/15 10:10 01444449165

9/7/15 15:42 07718 775257 txt call C R S on .. we sent you a letter a week ago

01/7/15 9:48 01444449165

Jun

29/6/15 11:46 07718775264 txt: thnx for writing, call us

26/6/15 11:16 07872 049558 txt thnx for writing call us

18/6/15 13:20 01444449165

16/6/15 10:46 07718 775262 txt: thnx for writing call us

May

27/5/15 11:44 01444449165

22/5/15 14:31 07875 951649 txt: call urgently we need to speak to you

20/5/15 9:44 01444449165

18/5/15 14:31 07875 951649 txt: call urgently, we need to speak to you today

6/5/15 10:09 01444449165

Apr

30/4/15 9:40 07872 049544 txt: urgent we need to speak to you today

23/4/15 15:30 07891 499537 call C R S on .. we sent you a letter a week ago

I will include this when lodging a complaint with the 2 online links provided by trading standards.

Edited by citizen86

Continue to compile this until you need to complain.