• Tweets

• Thanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe concenquences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points?
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
    • Been perusing the actual figures on the polls above wondering where the '16% claimed for deform comes from? I understand that there are 'weighted' end results based on secret calculations ...   Probably going to repeat this later, but remember that the ukip/brexit/reform/deform party has ALWAYS had poll speculation FAR better than their actual  performance at elections - by large margins. SO: The labor and Tory votes come largely from simply the people who say they will vote for them - sorted Lab 43% Tory 20%, with maybe another small 1-2% coming from the weightings of the 'not sures' Greens largely get what is declared from 'other' , although with another declared green bit from the 'pressed' question   So as the share of the voting displayed in 'other' granted to reform/deform is around 11%, where does the '16% too often being reported come from? Seems that reform has been granted as beneficiary of effectively ALL the don't knows and wont says, who when pressed didn't actually declare for someone else ... effectively adding 40%+ to their reported polling % - rather strange given their consistent under-performance compared to polling - or perhaps that is the cause of the higher rating eh?   Now I admit the possibility (probability?) of wingers being ashamed of declaring their support for the yuckey lemon end of the spectrum ... but surely  that should affect the 'Torys as well? Maybe the statisticians have simply weighted in that deform wingers are simply more likely to lie?   But - without 'weightings' and assumptions that faragits will get everything that isnt declared as a definite and unequivocal 'not that Piers Morgan' - reform is on around 11% it seems.   Add to that the history of polling a lot less than the hype - and the simple fact that faragit wingers seem to be spread across the country (presumably skulking in their moms spare room despite being 45+) and greens and lib dems seem to be community minded - I think two seats will be an epic result for farage. Hardly the opposition - far more raving wingnut party.   and importantly - Has farage got a home in clacton yet?
    • "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
    • Please go back and read my message posted at 10:27 this morning @jk2054. I didn't say that I wasn't going to provide documents, only that I will upload them to an online repo that I am in control of, and that I would share links to these. You shall still be able to read and download them no different from if they were hosted here. And, the issue I have is not so much with hosting, but using an online pdf editor to create a multi-page pdf, again I have discussed this that same message.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Police impounded car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, this is my first post so apologies if I've not posted it in the correct place.

my brother got a flat tyre and/or ran out of petrol, not sure which.

He left the car parked not obstructing anything overnight.

He came to it the next day to find it was gone,

reported it stolen to find out the police had taken it

-reason, because he'd left tools in the back which he'd just collected that day

-he's a mechanic and these are the only tools he has!

He was told they'd ring him back and tell him where his car was, they didn't.

Finally got through to them and they didn't know what they'd done with his car!

Finally found it, and told him where it'd been taken to

-all this time it's racking up fees.

Was told he has to pay nearly £300 to get it back.

He can't actually afford that, and without his tools can't do any work either.

can he appeal this,

what right did the police have to take his car like this when it wasn't causing any issue?

Just because he had tools in the back?

Do they just say they "can't find it" so it takes longer and adds up more fees before they find it?

Or are they just incompetent?

Thanks.

Has he asked them on what grounds they removed it?.

Is he the registered keeper & his address with DVLA up to date?.

The grounds on which they removed it ('not just " tools in back"' but are they claiming e.g. 'under common law to safeguard property' or 'under statute Y')

will be key to determining if their actions (and any charges) are lawful or not.

Thanks for replies. Apparently he left it in a field, or near a field e.g in the gateway, not sure which but it definitely wasn't on the road. They took it because of all the tools in the back it made them think it had been abandoned and the tools could've been stolen. My brother does have a record, but the tools and whatever else he had in it are completely legal. Everything is up to date with the car and legal.

They waited a week before they told him where they had put the car. They have apparently been checking through all the tools, presuming they have found they are ok and he can have them back, and want nearly £300 for him to get the car out.

Has he asked them on what grounds they removed it?.

Is he the registered keeper & his address with DVLA up to date?.

The grounds on which they removed it ('not just " tools in back"' but are they claiming e.g. 'under common law to safeguard property' or 'under statute Y') will be key to determining if their actions (and any charges) are lawful or not.

Thanks for replies. Apparently he left it in a field, or near a field e.g in the gateway, not sure which but it definitely wasn't on the road. They took it because of all the tools in the back it made them think it had been abandoned and the tools could've been stolen. My brother does have a record, but the tools and whatever else he had in it are completely legal. Everything is up to date with the car and legal.

They waited a week before they told him where they had put the car. They have apparently been checking through all the tools, presuming they have found they are ok and he can have them back, and want nearly £300 for him to get the car out.

I asked re: if he was registered keeper & DVLA details up to date.

I noted "The grounds on which they removed it ('not just " tools in back"' but are they claiming e.g. 'under common law to safeguard property' or 'under statute Y') will be key"

Unfortunately, you repeating "they did it because there were tools in the back" doesn't answer those questions, and will make it harder for you to get reliable advice. Good luck.

Sory I thought I had replied that everything is up to date, and he is the registered keeper when I said it was all legal.

As far as "are they claiming e.g. 'under common law to safeguard property' or 'under statute Y') will be key"-well no neither of those. Sorry my answer isn't clear for you, or doesn't answer your questions I guess he doesn't know on what grounds they removed it if the fact they thought it was abandoned and had possibly stolen items in the back isn't a sufficient reason. They haven't given a reason they took his car beyond what I've already "repeated".

Sory I thought I had replied that everything is up to date, and he is the registered keeper when I said it was all legal.

As far as "are they claiming e.g. 'under common law to safeguard property' or 'under statute Y') will be key"-well no neither of those. Sorry my answer isn't clear for you, or doesn't answer your questions I guess he doesn't know on what grounds they removed it if the fact they thought it was abandoned and had possibly stolen items in the back isn't a sufficient reason. They haven't given a reason they took his car beyond what I've already "repeated".

See previous : has he asked them on what grounds they removed it (the actual statute or if they claim not under statute if by common law)?

If not, would that be a good first step?

It may be awkward that it is hard to advise without that info, but that is the way it is. Their actions may have been entirely lawful (in which case he'll have to pay the fees) or not : depending on if they acted within their authority or if they exceeded it.

Respondents will be guessing without the details.

I guess he doesn't know on what grounds they removed it if the fact they thought it was abandoned and had possibly stolen items in the back isn't a sufficient reason.

He needs to find out why it was removed and then decide what action to take.

For example, the police have powers under s.99, Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and s.4, The Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Regulation 1986, to remove vehicles they consider to be abandoned. If it was considered to be the involved in crime, the police have power to seize under s.19 and 23, Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

Yes, I understand. He does need to find out why exactly they removed it. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, now that they know the vehicle hadn't been abandoned, and they've checked the stuff out and found out it's legal, do they still expect my brother to pay? No worries if you can't give an accurate answer without knowing more details-I will try and find out some more. Can't do yet as my brother has gone on holiday for a few days-he's basically leaving the car there as he can't afford to get it out, so he'll probably end up losing it as it's costing more and more everyday.

The car is only worth a few hundred, but I don't like to think of the police making anything out of it-should they scrap it or sell it or whatever. Not that I know much about what the police do with cars like that, but at the end of the day they do have my brothers property and I assume if it's not claimed they can make money out of it selling it or whatever? Don't like the idea of them getting nearly £300 to release it though either, don't see why they should, I know some of that is storage fees, but they messed him about and didn't tell him where his car was for a week!

Guess just make sure you never break down or run out of petrol is the moral of the story!

Oh, and he has made a complaint against them, but I don't know if it'll do any good, I mean it seems that always the police just say they had sufficient reason to do something and so the complaint gets dropped.

Yes, I understand. He does need to find out why exactly they removed it. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, now that they know the vehicle hadn't been abandoned, and they've checked the stuff out and found out it's legal, do they still expect my brother to pay?

Answered above.

Their actions may have been entirely lawful (in which case he'll have to pay the fees) or not : depending on if they acted within their authority or if they exceeded it.

To reiterate. If their actions were lawful, he'll have to pay, even though they may now know it wasn't abandoned, and the items therein weren't stolen. The police will have contracted out recovery / storage, and the firm will expect to be paid. If the actions were lawful the police won't pay : your brother will have to, if he wants the car back.

If the police exceeded their authority : they'll have to pay.

Yeah, the police will win they always do. He'll probably let them keep the car, he's not really bothered, he just wants his stuff in it out of the back. I suppose the fact that they "lost it" for a week before they told him where it was will mean that's my brothers fault too and he'll have to pay a whole weeks extra fees if he wants to get it out because the police didn't know what they'd done with it.