• Tweets

• Fair enough. But I don't understand why they send these letters. Do people really get scared and end up paying them?
    • That's a blessed relief. They would have been withdrawn because, as I said, they have no evidence that you were driving. That comes from the responses to the requests for driver's details which you failed to send. The important thing is that the speeding charges were laid. That makes life much easier (and far more likely to see a successful outcome). You need to make your SD and serve it on the court where you were convicted. The next you should hear is by way of a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" laying the four charges against you again. You will have three options (for each charge): Plead Guilty and do not attend court Plead guilty and attend court Plead not guilty You must plead Not Guilty to all charges. In the section headed “reason for not guilty plea” you can state that you will offer to plead guilty to the speeding charging providing, and only providing, the FtP charges are dropped. This is a procedure well known to all court users (prosecutors, magistrates and their legal advisors) and is carried out up and down the land daily. I’ll refer to it as “the deal”. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to undertake this deal and speak to the prosecutor (the agreement of the prosecutor is required as the court cannot accept it without that agreement).  However, during the pandemic courts aimed to reduce the numbers of people required to attend to an absolute minimum and most courts accepted a written request to do the deal. Local police prosecutors made an agreement with their courts that the magistrates’ legal advisors could accept the deal. In some areas this arrangement has carried on. In others they have reverted to the old process where attendance was required. So your offer of the “deal” with either be accepted in writing and dealt with under the Single Justice procedure or you may have to attend court. In either event it is important to emphasise that you will plead guilty to speeding only if the FtP charges are dropped.  There may be slight variations to the process depending on how the individual area works but there is no reason why this should not be successful.    
    • Yes thank you dx, my sentiments exactly.  We don't have access to his credit report to see the CCJ.  We were just told by the Estate Agency who he was trying to act as a guarantor for me.......  I can get a free one for a month I believe.  
    • I would say it's snotty letter time. You can do a search on CAG for examples of what other people have sent. Don't make it too polite. HB
    • Ok, received this letter that looks like a letter of claim but it still doesn’t sound too convincing    2024-06 BW Letter Of Claim.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Roofer did shoddy work and has now filed court claim against me

Kinger122
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Kinger 122.

I'm a Builder with 30 odd years experience.

I have "Watched" this thread for sometime but not commented.

Can you advise : What make of tiles and the type ? I suspect they are a "Pan tile" such as Marley

I will explain why in a bit !

F16

PS. I can see the "Pitch" was designed at 15 degree.

What degree pitch have you got ?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinger122.

Ok so the Pitch is 13 degrees, and the tiles are suitable down to 10 degrees, but you may find that you have to increase the "Overlap" of the tile the more you decrease the pitch of the roof.

So find out the manufactures fitting instructions and check the "Overlap" is correct.

Velux can NOT be fitted under 15 degrees. (exception is the flat roof unit).

Fitting them on a roof pitch under 15 degrees will nullify their guarantee.

The judge has said that your roofer has to give you an insurance backed guarantee, after he has completed the work and then you pay him.

If your roofer doesn't tell the insurance co about the Pitch error" he will get insurance..... But it will be worthless because he has fitted materials not to manufactures spec.

If the roofer does tell the insurer; He either won't get insurance or the policy will be "loaded". The former being more likely.

When the roofer gives you the "Certificate" pay NOTHING until you have it in writing from the insurer that they are aware of the "pitch error" and it is accepted

with "No exclusions"

I think you will find they "cancel the policy".That then means you pay nothing to the roofer.

Take care.

F16

Yes .It is a lump sum, and it may have an excess and or exclusions. ..

But those will be in the "Policy" not on the "certificate". If the roofer fails to inform the insurer of the errors and you make a claim they will reject it when they

discover the errors.

The problem with a low pitched roof is. A/ High winds driving the rain under the tiles. B/ Capillary action.

You need to get the roof tile "Spec. and fitting instructions" Not only the tile "Overlap" question ,but the lead flashing at the extensions abutment to the house may have to be increased as well.

If you look at the verge at each end of the extension you will be able to measure the "overlap" and likewise the lead flashing.

Do the drawings show "vent tiles and soffit vents ?

Hi Kinger122. I think Mike Hawk said wait for the court papers.

I've looked back on the thread but can only find a "Sketch", not a set of "Working Plans".

The "Vent tiles" will look like a "Mushroom" sticking out of a tile. Hence the nickname in the trade "Mushroom vent"

At the front edge of the roof (the eves) where the guttering is. The guttering is fitted to the "fascia board"

There is then a soffit board which is between the wall and the fascia.

This must have vents fitted to allow air up past the timbers and out of the "mushrooms"

No air circulation and the roof will "Sweat" and condensation will run down the under side of the Sarking felt.

IMHO. I can't see how this "roofer" is going to get this insured.

A lot of these type of insurance co.want to send out their own inspectors at various "Stages" to make sure the job is completed to a good standard.

How the hell can anyone see if the correct fixings (or indeed enough of them) were used on the rafters ?

Are there enough Plate ties ?....... The list is endless

That's why he won't get a proper insurance cert.

Kinger122, Yes that would be good. Load up some of the lead flashing where the extension joins the house as well.

It's difficult to advise you without enough info.

the more Photos the better.

Is the ceiling "Vaulted" or "Flat" ?

The sketch was all I was provided with, along with a written contract.

What ???

Who carried out the calculations for "Load" to specify the size and grade of timbers used ?

Kinger122. Did the architect do a set of drawings ?

There is NO vents !! In my opinion there should be 4 tile vents (mushrooms) and a continuous soffit vent.

There also needs to be a 50mm air flow gap between the ceiling insulation and the sarking felt (tilers sheet)

Check with the Building Inspector.

Looking at the photos I suspect the Velux windows may be set too low.

There are tiles not sitting flat around the veluxes .

The lead flashing along the main wall of the house. Can you get a "close up" of the overlap of one piece of lead to the next ?

One of the edge (verge) would be handy as well.

Yes the architect provided drawings for every aspect of my extension. I will try and get a closeup of the lead in the morning. If not then the afternoon. I am not sure if I mentioned this but the roof was leaking where the lead flashing meets the wall of the house in the far corner (the part where the house comes out slightly). Then all of a sudden the leaking stopped in that place. Nothing was changed and I have no idea why the leak stopped.

The building inspector initially said vents needed to be there but said nothing when the roof was done without them.

Does the architects drawing show vents ?

The building inspector is there to look after you (the customer) and to make sure the building conforms to current Building Regs !!!

What is he "playing at" ?

I am not sure if I mentioned this but the roof was leaking where the lead flashing meets the wall of the house in the far corner (the part where the house comes out slightly). Then all of a sudden the leaking stopped in that place. Nothing was changed and I have no idea why the leak stopped.

Might have "Stopped" at the moment but that's because the rain has not been driven onto the short bit of wall.

Look closely at the lead work.....

The "Internal corner" is a "butt joint " with no over lap cover in the corner.

The "Stepped" flashing should continue round the corner and along the back wall.

Then the back wall lead goes over the top to give the cover.

Have you rung Velux to see if they provide a site visit service ?

On another point.

The plaster board used on the ceiling. Was it "Vapour barrier (foil backed) or standard stuff ?

Yes the gable ends is correct.

Can you give the measurement of the over lap of one tile to the next above it ?

Cheers

I'm interested to know what those plans say.

Reading a bit between the "lines".

It sounds like you got various "Trades" to do each stage. Ground workers for foundations, bricklayers, "sparky", plumber, plasterer etc.

Hi kinger122

So each piece of lead overlaps the next by 100mm minimum.

Did you get the tile overlap ?

What does the drawings say about "Roof ventilation" ?

The only way to achieve 15 degrees is to lower the brickwork on the front and side elevations.

You can't raise the roof at the abutment to the house..... It would "Foul" the windows.

Yes I'm surprised he has not "blamed" the Bricklayer. That said he should have checked it would work by fixing the "Wall plate" to the main house

and the first rafter. Check the degree of pitch and point out the error.

You mentioned in a post above that you "think you would have won the case if you had got an expert report".

I think you are right but the fact remains that I can't see how any insurance co . is going to accept this roof with all the faults.

Use a proprietary eaves vent system comprising 10mm wide continuous strip ventilator secured to the outer edge of the 9mm supalux soffit board, running the entire length of the roof eaves..

Not fitted. .... Told you that would be the case.

Ring the architect and question tile vents. there is little point letting air in at the soffit vent if it has no where to go.

You don't achieve air circulation !

I also found this link regarding the tiles. It talks about verge tiles. Should they have been used?

http://www.forticrete.co.uk/media/336839/centurion_fixing.jpg

Yes verge tiles should have been used.

I've got a feeling the tiling should be "staggered joints" as you would get in brickwork.

IE. On brickwork the first course would be complete bricks, but the next course would start with a half brick to create the "bond" (staggered affect).

If you look at the photos ALL the joints run in straight lines.

I will read the fitting instructions.

Well done for finding this and exactly why I suggested you check the fitting instructions !!!

This is going to get very interesting..... Because if that is correct the roof will have to be "Stripped".

Don't understand why architect speced. "Rockwool quilt and not Celotex sheet but that is his call.

Did he quote 50mm air gap between tilers sheet and insulation ?

I am almost certain the tile vents are needed. I will probably have to wait till monday to ring the architect. So what does this all mean then? The building inspector cannot pass the roof can he?

Unfortunately at court the roofer knew more than me about what a roof should be, and lied saying the roof was fantastic and that he was going to put it on his website. The judge didnt have a clue how to do a roof so took everything he was saying as truth.

No the Building Inspector can't "Pass" it. Unless you "agree" to the 100 errors..... I don't think so !!!!

"Use it on his web site"...... Are you sure..

Only if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are the only viewers.

Kinger122

This post is VERY important confirm it is read.

Before vents are fitted I think you will need to alter the boiler flue by having a "Plume Kit " fitted due to the position of the vents.

I'm not a Gas Safe Engineer.

When the boiler was fitted there were no vents. So get the boiler fitter back and check.

Yes the flue will have to be extended due to poss. carbon monoxide ingress.

This is when you need the input of the "Legal Crew".

My view is the Judge said he had to get insurance.... and he can't as discussed so YOU don't have to pay.

You could point out all the faults and get him to put them right.

BUT you paid once for materials and the cost of new materials is his problem.

So this "Clown" might "think" he has won...... But has he ?????

See what the "Legal Crew" advise.

Regards

F16

I've read the "ventilation" part for the roof.

There are 2 options.

1 : Eves (gable ) vents.

OR

2: Tile Vents (mushrooms)

Of which you have neither.......Nor the "Continuous soffit vent".

Collecting full fitting instructions on Monday from local supplier to find out about verge tiles.

Enjoy the weekend

Kinger122

Sorry to bother you on Sunday !

I need some more photos:

1. The corner you said was leaking. Lift up the lead on back wall and take photo so I can see the corner under the back wall lead

and where the "stepped" lead flashing finishes. (Push lead back into place after photos).

2. Shots of the sides and top of 1 of the velux windows (pref the far right looking from the garden).

I need the shots taken at 90 degrees to the roof to view the gap between the tiles and the Velux.

So I can see the side and top flashings.

3. What "model of Velux was fitted ? (ie GGL)

At this stage all I'm going to say is....." I think I know where he has gone wrong" !!!!!

Google "Velux window installation instructions".....

It's on a "you tube".... That's it enough "Clues"..... Oh alright 1 more: My post on the Velux windows "looking low" will assist !

Don't end up with the "Don King hair do and the Al Jolson face"; trying to figure it out ! I will explain Monday.

F16

Kinger 122

Cheers for the photos .

The photo with "tiles removed". Is the "up stand" on the flashing kit crushed ? Looks like it to me.

I think I can see "Disc cutter" damage on the bottom flashing.

What model of Velux ?

And the same for the flashing kit ?

In a previous post you said.

"270mm rockwool insulation quilt to be laid over and between ceiling joists".

That can't be right.

"Between" Yes. Not "Over". There has to be a 50mm (Minimum) air flow gap between "Tilers sheet" and insulation.

Did the architect do a sectional drawing of this detail ?

What size are the ceiling joists ?

Sorry about all the questions !!! :oops:

For the insulation that was for a flat ceiling. The architect originally told me I could not have a vaulted ceiling, but then the inspector said it was possible and a vaulted ceiling was done instead. That is why it refers to the insulation going over I believe.

There is a sectional drawing but it is for the flat ceiling. Is this insulation a big problem? I feel like I've been misled by the inspector and the roofer.

That explains that one !!! I knew that was not correct for vaulted ceiling.

Is that "Up stand" crushed ?

Yes everything seems to be damaged. I questioned the workers when they were doing the roof that should they not be cutting the tiles on the floor not on the actual roof but they carried on doing it like that and said that was how it was done. There is cutter damage everywhere, even on the velux window where it has bounced off the tiles and hit the window..

You should "Mark up" each cut and cut else where; Not in situ.

If you do cut in situ. This is the result.

The insulation is only a "problem" if there is no 50mm air flow gap.

This also explains why I said "Rockwool ??? I would have used Celotex sheet.... but that's his call"

If the "roofer " (and I use that term very loosely) was of any use he should have advised you of a "Better option/ product.

Check your invoice for the product code for the flashing kit.

I will see what kit my supplier suggests tomorrow when I pick up the tile fitting instructions and velux fitting instructions