Queen G vs MBNA

QueenG
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Until last month I was completely unaware that penalty banks charges are unlawful. I'm a new Mum, and read about several success stories on websites such as NetMum and Mumsnet.

I haven't been the most organised person in the past, so have incurred charges. Now I am trying to straighten out my finances and clear some debt, the banks have certainly taken enough money from me over the years, so I think it's time they gave some back.

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letters was sent to MBNA on the 10th October 2006. I have received confirmation of receiving letter detailing that requested information will follow soon.

This is a great website and I really appreciate having access to this information for free. Thanks to all those who put it together, keep it up to date and those who respond with help and advice.

Good luck to you all.

quote.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a letter responding to my S.A.R letter. The letter was dated 2nd November offering a goodwill gesture of £160. I heven't worked out all charges accurately yet, but my guess is they amount to approx £300

Summary of letter:

Charges are clearly set out in T&Cs. Costs incurred for late payment fees are substancial. It is unauthorised borrowing if over credit limit. Set charges reflect the costs of dealing with defaults for all custmers and are upfront about why and when will be applied, so are valid fair and enforceable.

We have enclosed statement info detailing charges. As have not treated as full sar request, have returned cheque and will not charge on this occassion. Form enclosed to submit if wish to obtain full SAR. Valued customer - so have credited account with £160 goodwill payment.

MBNA disagrees with OFT interpretation of law and maintains charges were always legal and fair but have reduced fees to £12. Must honour revised terms or will cancel card and agreement.

If no further communication within next eight weeks, MBNA will assume matter is closed.

So, one stamp was worth £160. Not bad so far :-)

well at least they have contacted you lol they cashed my cheque last week wrote to tell me that they are looking into my complaint and ive heard nothing since!!!

good luck

klare

just hoping isnt enough ASK!

CO OP £170 charges

09/08/06 first letter sent recorded

12/08/06 first letter acknowledged

24/08/06 LBA letter sent recorded

02/08/06 acknowledged please wait a further 6 wks for reply

14/09/06 MCO filed

20/09/06 charges refunded!!!!

23/10/06 request for statements mbna offer £140.00 prem letter sent

23/10/06 first letter sent hsbc (2 accounts) £2900 approx) LBA sent

23/10/06 LBA A&L claiming back £186.50 first letter ignored) MCOL filed 25/11/06

I imagine that you will receive a similar letter very soon, as I also received an acknowledgement letter about one week ago. I'm going to send an LBA for SAR as they have not sent me the data I asked for. The goodwill gesture was nice of them. I won't treat it as a bribe, so I will continue toclaim a full refund of all charges.:)

I am also reserarching how to approach for interest and contractual interest.

Good luck with your claim.

I received an acknowledgement letter from the MBNA, less than a week after sending my SAR. They said they are looking into the complaint and would be back in contact before the 27th November. I think they are trying to stop people before they start by offering money - although nowhere near enough to cover their fees!!