New driving on prescription medication law 2014

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know the full list of medications that the new law will apply to. I know that the stronger pain killers, and anti anxiety medications are included but there are a great number of both over the counter and prescription medication which can effect driving ability. I have already stopped driving because i feel unsafe. My wife is on a number of medications that warn of possible effects. How will this law be implemented because the effects of the same drug vary greatly from person to person.

Benzodiazipines Ro-Hypnol. specifically mentioned plus already banned or controlled substances.

This is aimed at those who abuse potentially dangerous prescription medicines and who can be proved to have levels

of the drug or drugs ABOVE those expected from a normal therapeutic dose, NOT at those taking the medications as prescribed.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Brigadier, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I worked in the medical world for twenty years and if the test is based on the plasma concentrations then a normal therapeutic dose can vary greatly. A lot depends on how the medication is taken it is going to be very easy to accuse someone of misuse even if thay have taken medication as prescribed. There is a massive amount of research concerning this point and I fail to understand how any machine can

take into account each individuals metabolism. It will leave a very grey area which the justice system will have to sort out

It is obvious abuse that is being targeted, the 'addicts' misusing prescription medicines develop incredible tolerances

to drugs such as benzodiazipines , far higher levels would be achieved than that in even an inadvertent overdose of a prescribed drug, to such an extent that the 'normal' user would die if they ingested such a dosage.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Brigadier, I agree with your point but I have know people on very high doses of prescription medication for example morphine who show no indication of the side effects of its use but would have massive blood plasma levels. In the mental health world the same can be said of the drugs used there. With certain drugs there are a number of people that take very high doses that in comparison to the "normal user" would appear very high, But are still prescribed by doctors.

In that situation I would think it unlikely that the person will be driving.

It will be necessary to assess each tested individual and the circumstance at the time, which is allowed for in the legislation.

Brigadier I am on high doses of medications, but I am able to function without any mental or physical side effects. I voluntary stopped driving because I on the odd occasion have felt unhappy with my reaction times. I could at the present time still drive but if i was stopped and tested then by the new laws they would look at my results and say "addict".

Edited by mr_mastiff

No that's not what would happen, each case will be considered individually.

There are already 'competence' tests available to police for use in this situation.

I except all your points Brigadier, but there are areas about this new law which could become problematic but I will leave it there and wait for the legal and medical arguments from the first disputed cases.

The levels in the Wolf document are far to high for this to happen. The only area in which this could happen is with legal highs when if you have drunk a small amount of alcohol and taken medication then the levels are reduced by 50%. You must admit Mr mastiff that this would be exceptional even at the reduced levels.

Badbessie, I totally agree. The point i wanted to make was that it could happen. Addicts are not the only people to have high tolerances to drugs. There is research from America and Northern Europe that raises doubt about the value of competence tests in people that even have a limited disability. Also I would like to question the 50% how did they come to that figure in every drug, is this due to research or are the figures a best guess by someone in the Government. I fully admit that my argument is pretty extreme but eminent doctors have given evidence in court that after a short period as been shown to be wrong but that did not stop an injustice happening.