• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Freedom of the press ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recent news items have had many famous people facing charges of a serious nature. Given that we are consumers of information, is it right and or indeed moral to blacken a persons name until a court case/trial has taken place. Has the media too much power ?

This came up on the Wright Stuff this morning. I vote no.

Ignoring the fact that these people are famous, it's unfair for someone to be associated with a crime that they may not have committed. Don't they have a right to privacy? There was a man 20 years ago called Colin Stagg who was named and shamed as the killer of Rachel Nickel. He was found innocent.

This came up on the Wright Stuff this morning. I vote no.

Ignoring the fact that these people are famous, it's unfair for someone to be associated with a crime that they may not have committed. Don't they have a right to privacy? There was a man 20 years ago called Colin Stagg who was named and shamed as the killer of Rachel Nickel. He was found innocent.

To be precise, he was found "not guilty" rather than found innocent.

It's a subtle difference, but key : if only because it is underpinned by the requirement for the prosecution to "prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt" rather than the accused having to "prove their innocence" (for offences which aren't 'strict liability')

Of note in R. v Stagg was the role of a police decoy ("Lizzie") used to try to get him to incriminate himself.

Subsequently Robert Napper was sent to Broadmoor after being convicted (manslaughter, on grounds of diminshed responsibility) for the killing.

Is Colin Stagg innocent? Absolutely.

Was he found innocent - No : he was found "not guilty"

Recent news items have had many famous people facing charges of a serious nature. Given that we are consumers of information, is it right and or indeed moral to blacken a persons name until a court case/trial has taken place. Has the media too much power ?

no need to worry so much about the 'official' media nowadays! eg recently that mp who was tried and convicted by social media despite being innocent. and innocent without having to be proven so on the evidence!

Edited by Ford

no need to worry about the 'official' media nowadays! just look at that mp who was tried and convicted by social media despite being innocent. and innocent without having to be proven so on the evidence!

It's a sad fact that good news doesn't sell newspapers or go viral on social media sites. Bad news and gossip does. Society generally seems to like getting on the bandwagon of gossip. Maybe we need to stop believing everything we read.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

Agreed, Jeremy.

Whilst I have no problem with papers saying someone has been arrested for something, I do have a problem with them being named and shamed. One thing I can't understand either, is why did the Daily Mail name that teacher who went off to France with the student and when he was on trial, he wasn't named?

Agreed, Jeremy.

Whilst I have no problem with papers saying someone has been arrested for something, I do have a problem with them being named and shamed. One thing I can't understand either, is why did the Daily Mail name that teacher who went off to France with the student and when he was on trial, he wasn't named?

The press have a "get out" (at least initially), for when the police ask for help - a name can be released at the police's request when they are seeking someone either for the immediate safety of a child, when a court rules as part of a wardship / child safety ruling, or the catch-all of "the police wish to speak to them so they can assist the police with their enquiries". This is (of course) a neutral description : one can be helping the police and not a suspect, while even if they are a suspect, the fact they are "helping" the police sounds positive, rather than negative!

Once arrested the usual is " aged has been arrested". Once charged, the matter is sub judice, and reporting restrictions apply unless lifted by the court.

thats it, at least the 'official' media are accountable to some degree. eg re mr hall. he denied everything at first in the press, but alot happened since, which the press didn't report due to their restrictions. as it turned out he admitted and apologised to his victims. awaiting sentence.

Edited by Ford

In some countries it's illegal for the media to reveal the name of a person accused or even convicted of a crime. Would it be better if that kind of legislation was introduced in the UK?

I would never in a million years defend a person who had committed such a crime that has been reported in the media recently - however, every person is innocent until proven otherwise, and deserves a fair trial.

The press are a law unto themselves - it needs tighter regulation imo.

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

I would never in a million years defend a person who had committed such a crime that has been reported in the media recently - however, every person is innocent until proven otherwise, and deserves a fair trial.

The press are a law unto themselves - it needs tighter regulation imo.

The trouble is, where do you draw the line between regulation and free speech? Do we want a state run regulator deciding what we do and don't see in the press? 1984 (the book, not the year)?

Jeremy

Jeremy

The trouble is, where do you draw the line between regulation and free speech? Do we want a state run regulator deciding what we do and don't see in the press? 1984 (the book, not the year)?

Jeremy

Oh I hear you!! There is no way I would ever want to live the communist way - but you know what CE, we may think we have freedom of speech, but we don't really!

It's like I believe that anyone planning on having a child should have to pass some sort of ability test (I know some may be in uproar about it), but there are people out there having children, and they don't even know basic life skills such as how to cook a meal! But, if we starting having laws such as that, then we may as well be a communist country.

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Oh I hear you!! There is no way I would ever want to live the communist way - but you know what CE, we may think we have freedom of speech, but we don't really!

It's like I believe that anyone planning on having a child should have to pass some sort of ability test (I know some may be in uproar about it), but there are people out there having children, and they don't even know basic life skills such as how to cook a meal! But, if we starting having laws such as that, then we may as well be a communist country.

Agree on all counts DW. I just wish I knew what the answer was.

The trouble is that society in general just love to jump on the bandwagon. Okay, so you could regulate traditional media (newspapers/tv/radio), but how do you regulate social media on the web? Sure, if you post something defamatory or slanderous then the social media sites can be forced by the courts to reveal your identity and you can be sued. Whatever you posted can be removed by the site owner upon the courts decision, and the writer made to pay compensation (assuming they have it to pay). But how do you deal with those that have already read it and maybe told all their friends?

Its not like 1984 where people are employed by the party to wipe out every last trace of existance. You can't erase things from people's memories.

Maybe society in general needs to learn not to believe everything they read/see, and not take everything as truth because it's on their favourite social media site. I guess we can all dream, can't we?

I think the other issue today is the speed at which things can spread. Back when news travelled slowly, it wasn't such an issue. Also the purveyors of the news, generally, we people of integrity who would only publish the truth. Now anyone can "publish" information.

Anyone know what the answer is, except maybe go back 100 years?

Jeremy

Jeremy

Even when a civil case is brought to court, and compensation is awarded, the perpetrator doesn't have to pay! Thankfully most slander cases now, especially when done repeatedly, are seen as harassment or stalking by the police (had it myself over this past couple of years).

And it is about time that the law was involved in harassment, it can cause upset!

I hear they're trying to bring in a law against bullying also!

As for CCTV losing a person their freedom etc, I am of the opinion, if you've nothing to fear, you've nothing to hide, however it all is pointing towards a lack of freedom, and a controlled country!

Even when a civil case is brought to court, and compensation is awarded, the perpetrator doesn't have to pay! Thankfully most slander cases now, especially when done repeatedly, are seen as harassment or stalking by the police (had it myself over this past couple of years).

And it is about time that the law was involved in harassment, it can cause upset!

I hear they're trying to bring in a law against bullying also!

As for CCTV losing a person their freedom etc, I am of the opinion, if you've nothing to fear, you've nothing to hide, however it all is pointing towards a lack of freedom, and a controlled country!

Hiya,

You can have as many laws as you want. Bullying/harassment/stalking are all nasty and upsetting for the person on the recieving end, but a foundation of the law is that you're inocent until proven guilty. Those that do nasty things often find ways to wriggle out of justice.

I know you've been through it DW, and for that I am truely sorry. I just wish there were ways to stop it.

Jeremy

Jeremy

:) the 'golden thread'.

thing is, as bazza posted, innocent until proven guilty on the evidence. likewise, guilty until proven innocent on the evidence. also, the police use the press, just like others use the press. and the press also use. and they both sometimes get things wrong. politics.

mr hall used them in denial, it backfired, but the press were under reporting restrictions (unlike social media). he later admitted, including a 9 year old girl at the time! (but, in the meantime, he has now apparently stripped his assets! dailymail)

interesting, that tarbuck for eg has chosen not to comment!

recall the menezes case. the police used the press to discredit him prior to any investigation. the press obliged. i remember galloway having a go about that and being discredited. but, he turned out to be correct. the police and press got it wholly wrong, and blatantly tried to cover themselves. imo.

Edited by Ford

It's a tough one this. The police have to investigate no matter how old the crime is, although quite how you prove a rape case from 46 years ago I have no idea, but they have to take these allegations seriously. The problem is that once somebody is named it is too easy to assume that they are guilty when they might be completely innocent. I really do hope that the likes of Bill Roache, Rolf Harris and Jimmy Tarbuck are not guilty and by that I mean actually not guilty, not just not guilty in the sense that the police couldn't prove it. If they are guilty then they will get their due like Stuart Hall will. Equally, if the police find that somebody has been making false allegations, I hope that person is charged and then gets some serious jail time.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

it is tough. and the police (cps) have their criteria and they generally won't prosecute if they don't think that they have the evidence. at least hall admitted things. who knows what would've happened in court!

in some cases, the use of the press has proven fruitful. what this does show, imo, so far, is that the police/cps have been thorough, and will not be prosecuting lightly. it has to be remembered that in some of these cases they are arrests only, with seemingly one obvious intent of poss procuring any further evidence? imo.

Edited by Ford

it is tough. and the police (cps) have their criteria and they generally won't prosecute if they don't think that they have the evidence. at least hall admitted things. who knows what would've happened in court!

in some cases, the use of the press has proven fruitful. what this does show, imo, so far, is that the police/cps have been thorough, and will not be prosecuting lightly. it has to be remembered that in some of these cases they are arrests only, with one obvious intent of poss procuring any further evidence? imo.

All of this is true. In the Hall case though, there was clearly a very great weight of evidence against him, as there would have been against Savile if he was still alive. I fail to see how a conviction could be obtained against Bill Roache though unless he confesses. If the police don't go ahead it could still leave the impression that he was guilty even though he may well be completely innocent.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

If the police CPS don't go ahead it could still leave the impression that he was guilty even though he may well be completely innocent.

thats it. the balance between naming on arrest (and using the press) rather than on actual prosecution (where it would be open court anyway). at least with pros it could be seen that the cps believe that they have the evidence to succeed. yes, the stigma will be there after an arrest only with no prosecution. as well as stigma after a trial and being found not guilty on the evidence. it is a tough one.

re hall you say weight against him. yes, but one of the things i was getting at is that he denied things in the press! clearly knowing that he was guilty, and not just on the evidence that would be in court!

Edited by Ford