Car Written Off - Hasting Offer - Looking For Advice

elldickson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Recently I was involved in a non-fault accident.

The damage was minimal with the car (x Reg year 2000). The bumper was slightly damanged and the head light was damaged. Hasting sent out a surveyor who reccommended the car was written off valuing the car at £700 and estimating the repair work was £900+ therefore it would not be an economical repair. As such Hastings has offered me £700 for the car. I think the car is worth £1000. I also believe the surveyor did not survey the car correctly as he had a quick look at the bumbper and light but not the rest of the car.

The car is a sound car and has been for many years and I dont think I will get as reliable a car again for the £700 However I have been to my local garage and they have had a look and in total they say the repair costs would be £550. So it would save Hastings / the other insurance £150 from what they are offering me.

However when I contacted Hastings saying I would settle for £550 for repairs Hastings replied that they would need to see a quote. The local garage I deal with (run by an old guy who is 100% trust worthy and never done us wrong) dont do quotes like Hastings require with letter headed paper etc. So here is me trying to save my car and save Hastings a bit of money and they are not interested. Bearing in mind the other insurance has already accepted liability.

So as the innocent party I will be out of packet trying to get a replacement car and in terms of the time I have spent on dealing with this.

It has left me with a few options:

1 - Try and get another garage to do a quote on headed paper - This is more time and effort on by behalf which I have already wasted to try and get the car to another garage that I trust

2 - Try and push for the £1000 I want for the car to be written off

3 - Accept the £700 offered by Hastings

4 - try and get hastings to pay £550 for the repairs without a quote

I would prefer options 2 or 4.

My question to the forum is what are your views on this, am I right to push for options 2 and 4?

When the accident first happened I got a call from the other insurance company (Tesco Insurance) saying they would pay for the car to get fixed etc if I let them handle it, but I rejected this on the advice from Hastings however I am now thinking about contacting the other insurance company to get their view on this and their view on Hastings paying out more than they have to and to see if the other Insurance company will pick the repair bill up. Does anybody think this is a valid route to take and investigate?

All advice is appreciated.

You would probably be better off dealing with Tesco Insurance if they have accepted liability for the accident and will pay for the repair. Tesco may want the car inspected and they may also write it off, rather than repair. But if you go through Tesco, it may be easier, as there is then no excess to worrry about. Any claim under your own Insurance, will mean the excess is levied and you will then have to claim back from Tesco.

Check the cars value on glass.co.uk ( it costs about £4 to get the value) and negotiate with whichever Insurers

Try Tesco and explain the situation to them to see how they can help.

Sometimes what some people do in this situation, is to accept the write off value, but to ask to pay to keep the salvage. Then out of the write off money, they get the car repaired themselves. It does obviously depend on the salvage value.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you deal with Tesco, you can also send them details of your out of pocket expenses for them to consider and pay. I think I would try this route and see if is better. If you are happy with Tesco. just keep Hastings informed of what you are doing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Unclebulgaria I asked about buying the car back at the scrap value and was told that Hastings dont allow that and I couldnt do it, if they did that would definatley be an option I would of considered. I think I will give Tesco a shout to see what they say as they may be more accomodating than Hastings since I will be saving them money.

Jamie - unless you / Hasting want to agree to one of my settlement options I am not sure there is much you can do, but I will be in touch if things get much worse.

Jamie - I have dropped you an e-mail, it has now been 4 weeks since my non fault accident and Hastings are not giving me updates when I call and are simply not acting in my interests. I have now been without a car for 4 weeks and I am having to rely on friends and work colleagues to get me to work etc. If you could read my e-mail and get back to me ASAP.