Tax credits overpayment - ** ?RESOLVED **

Hayley1210
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just thought I would share my experience with tax credits office this morning. I'd claimed tax credits as a single parent for a long tome, then with my husband as a joint claim for last two years. I received a letter last year from compliance team to say they were investigating my 2009/10 award. During 2009 I received a payrise, didn't inform tax credits as it was February and thought I would just alter my renewal when it came, only my renewal came and I completely forgot and my renewal went through automatically on the lower salary. For 2009/10, i was overpaid because they assumed I was on lower pay from previous year. All got sorted in 2010 when my partner moved in and everything was updated. However, in the post on Monday I got a letter asking for repayment of £3,100. Given my current financial situation this reduced me to a shaking quivering wreck and as I opened the letter after tax credits had closed, I had all night to stress and worry.

I telephoned the Payment line this morning, ended up going through a complete Income and expenditure, to be told I cannot afford to pay anything at the moment and that it would be put on hold.

I have to say the guy I spoke to treated me fairly and in a really decent manner and appeared very sympathetic. He explained that they are not interested in causing hardship to anyone.

I have to say to anyone out there in same boat with overpayments to just contact them and discuss things and be open and honest with them, the guy told me that legal action is only considered for people do not get in touch and ignore ignore ignore. So please don't bury your head in the sand when it comes to tax credits and get in touch with them. It really will be a big worry off your mind.

Best wishes,

Hayley

• Haha 1