Maternity Pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, not sure if the are any matnity pay genius' out there, but I have a question that I'll post anyway. I have been on maternity leave and am approaching the end of my 26 weeks. I worked full time during my qualifying period (which I Think is about the 15th weeks before edd). I am on a good scheme at work whereby I was paid full pay for first eight weeks, then half pay plus smp for another 18 weeks, then the option of a further 12 weeks on just smp which I plan to take.

In the last eight weeks of my problematic pregnancy I had to cut my hours at work, which has resulted in my full pay and the half pay being a lot less. I accepted this, but now I am told it is the qualifying period that matters, not what I worked before I left. I really don't understand, and wondered if there is any advice out there.

If the info I am to,d is correct, couldn't anyone just bump up their hours during the qualifying period.

I am planning to return to work part ti e to the hours I was doing just before I left.

Best wishes,

Hayley

I think your best option is to give the Gingerbread helpline a call as they will have the information or be able to direct you to someone who can assist. They are on 0808 802 0925 and their hours are:

Mondays: 10am to 6pm

Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays: 10am to 4pm

Wednesdays: 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm.

Your call is completely free if you call from a landline or from the following mobile phone networks - 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2, Orange, Virgin.

If you are in Scotland the number is: 0808 801 0323

The factsheets they produce are available at http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/Factsheets_ModuleResults.aspx?FactsheetCategoryID=2

To qualify for 39 weeks of Statutory maternity pay you simply need to earn at least the lower earnings limit during weeks 17-25 of your pregnancy.

However, if your employer provides enhanced contractual maternity pay in addition to SMP they can determine their own rules.

So, they could use a different qualifying period ( although many seem to use the same as SMP), decide whatever rate of pay they like, stipulate that you must return to work for a minimum period after the leave ends or refund the enhanced pay etc.

It's likely that your employer has a documented policy describing their contractual maternity pay scheme. You could ask for a copy.