• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg PPI on Credit Card - Got my SAR, What to do now? HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

After a lot letters Egg have finally sent me my SAR information.

It appears that I had been paying PPI since I opened the card account in 1999.

However, it mysteriously stopped without my having cancelled it in March 2005,

I am not sure how I would have asked them to stop paying something I didn't know I was paying.

I closed the Egg account in 2007.

It says that I applied via the internet for my card, I cannot remember ticking any box saying that I wanted PPI.

I was reading something about this box being pre ticked on the Egg website in the early days, do you know if this happened in 1999???

If so did this mean I was mis-sold?

I have calculated the amount to be £2277 paid in PPI on my credit card so you will understand that I am keen to pursue this claim.

Can anyone help me with my case, I have got this far with the template letters on this site, but just need a bit of help.

Many thanks

Yes Egg did operate either a policy of a pre-ticked box or a system whereby you couldn't proceed with an application if you unticked the PPI box (which effectively made the PPI compulsory.

Did you get actual statements going back to 1999?

Ok, to find out the amount that you could be die back you can complete this spreadsheet. Follow the instructions in the notes tab.

For a credit card you should get back the premiums paid and the contractual interest charged as a result of them. In addition, if the removal of the PPI causes the account to show a credit balance for any month then you would get 8% simple interest on that credit balance for that month. The spreadsheet works that all out for if completed correctly.

Also, as the card is paid off, you will get 8% simple interest on the difference between the balance paid off and the reconstructed balance (i.e. without the PPI) running from the date the account was paid off right up to the date of settlement of the claim.

FosRunningPPI v102.xls

Go the fos website and download a copy of the consumer questionnaire and complete it.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

Send the completed questionnaire and a print of your spreadsheet to the lender together with a brief covering letter requiring refund. They will have 8 weeks to investigate and give you a final decision on your complaint.

• Confused 1

Thank you.

I want to say sorry in advance for this stupid question but.....

I have just started the spreadsheet. Under the personal details section it asks for the interest rate. when I check the statements the interest rate changes from 0.793 per month in November 1999 to 0.869 per month in June 2000 to 1.093 per month in September. What rate should I put in the box.

Sorry again but this is my first attempt at doing this.

Thanks

Thank you

Another quick (and probably stupid) question :oops:

Under monthly spend

My first statement from November 1999 says closing balance was £522.22

my next statement (December 1999) says that my closing balance was £1880.42

so my monthly spend for December would not be the closing balance on the statement of £1880.42 but would be £1358.20, which is £1880.42 take away £522.22 (Novembers monthly spend).

Is this correct, I think that answer is yes but just wanted to check that the monthly spend was not just the closing balance on the statement.

Thank you

I was never clever at maths (probably the reason why I got into this mess in the first place)

Here is a breakdown from my first statement 01/11/99 - 16/11/99

Opening Balance £0.00 BHS £20.80 Next £16.99 Iceland £6.05 BHS £9.50 Tesco £62.09 Harveys £395.48 Boots £8.25 Credit card payment protection £3.06 Closing balance £522.22 Minimum Payment due £15.67

And here is my second statement from 16/11/99 - 16/12/99

Opening Balance £522.22

Boots 9.60 Harry Corry 9.99 QVC 34.41 Makro 138.44 QEB 793.43 Iceland 6.05 McKibben 10.00 Tesco 7.41 Textstyle 120.93 Dixons 17.99 PAYMENT to Egg -15.67 Winemark 15.05 Tesco 66.50 Tesco 75.48 Wysebyse 25.74 Tesco 27.82 credit card payment protection 11.03 Interest at 0.793 per month 4.34 Closing balance 1880.76 Minimum Payment due 56.42

Please help with what my monthly spend was? I just thought that it was as simple as taking away the closing balance from one statement from the closing balance of the next?

Thank you

I was never clever at maths (probably the reason why I got into this mess in the first place)

Here is a breakdown from my first statement 01/11/99 - 16/11/99

Opening Balance £0.00 BHS £20.80 Next £16.99 Iceland £6.05 BHS £9.50 Tesco £62.09 Harveys £395.48 Boots £8.25 Credit card payment protection £3.06 Closing balance £522.22 Minimum Payment due £15.67

Monthly spend = £522.22

And here is my second statement from 16/11/99 - 16/12/99

Opening Balance £522.22

Boots 9.60 Harry Corry 9.99 QVC 34.41 Makro 138.44 QEB 793.43 Iceland 6.05 McKibben 10.00 Tesco 7.41 Textstyle 120.93 Dixons 17.99 PAYMENT to Egg -15.67 Winemark 15.05 Tesco 66.50 Tesco 75.48 Wysebyse 25.74 Tesco 27.82 credit card payment protection 11.03 Interest at 0.793 per month 4.34 Closing balance 1880.76 Minimum Payment due 56.42

Monthly spend = £1,374.21

Please help with what my monthly spend was? I just thought that it was as simple as taking away the closing balance from one statement from the closing balance of the next?

Answers in red above

Monthly spend is exactly what it says is....the total amount you actually spent on the card in that month.

In the Monthly Payment column you would enter the amount you paid off in the month.

The spreadsheet will calculate the balance which should agree with your statement balance.

Thank you again ims21 :)

In regards the interest rate for the card. You were saying in a previous post that I should use an average. I have 255 pages of statements to go through. Should I note the interest rate on every statement, add them up and divide by 255 to get the average rate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet detailing all my PPI payments to Egg.

ims21 has given me loads of advice about this in my other thread here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?363768-Egg-PPI-on-Credit-Card-Got-my-SAR-What-to-do-now-HELP&p=3970426#post3970426

I have a few questions:

1. I have attached another tab on the FOS spreadsheet called Egg APR. Now when I do my calculations to try and work out the ARP for the card, I am getting 1.1%. Now I know this is not correct. Can someone please have a look and help me? I have put in rate of 18% on the spreasheet as the APR payment but that is just a number I plucked from the sky.

2. On the spreadsheet the compound interest part has figures in it but the 8% simple interest does not. I thought from ims21 reply to my post listed about that 8% simple interest would be payable. Did I complete the spreadsheet properly?

3. I am going to fill in the Financial Ombudsman questionaire to send with the spreadsheet. I didn't know/what PPI and back when I took out my egg card the box for PPI was pre ticketed. Would anyone who has successfully claimed from Egg on this basis be willing to share what they wrote on their questionnaire with me. I know this is a big ask but thought that I would try.

I am seriously considering paying a company to do this, I don't want to but I am unsure of how to word my claim to Egg. Help please.

Two threads merged....please keep to one thread for the Egg PPI claim.

The 1.1% you have worked out is the average of the monthly rate...you now need to convert it to an APR using this spreadsheet and that is the rate you would use in the main part of the spreadsheet.

MonthlyToAPR.xls

Don't use a claims company....the process is simple.

You now need to download a copy of the fos questionnaire available from here

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

Fill it in and then send it to the lender together with a print of your spreadsheet and a brief covering letter saying here's my claim, give me my money.

They will then have 8 weeks to investigate and give you a final decision.

Oooops.....I see you already have the questionnaire.

Just complete it with what you believe was the case...I would bet that PPI box was pre-ticked. Get your claim in and see what they say.

When you have entered the correct interest rate the spreadsheet will work out any 8% interest if it is due.