Salary paid to wrong account

AmeliaJane789
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me any advice.

I changed my bank details with my employer last month and should have been paid today into my Natwest account. As it turns out, I gave the wrong details to my employer so totally my fault. The account number was a digit incorrect.

So I spoke to my employer who advised that the account number I had actually given them is invalid so I would need to speak to Natwest to see whether this had been transfered to a suspense account or whether it would simply be rejected and sent straight back.

I've since spoken to several different people at Natwest and received different information from everyone I've spoken to. Firstly I was told it would be immediately rejected, then that it would be rejected over night and lastly that it wouldn't be rejected at all, my employer would need to contact them with the faster payment reference number so they could release the funds. I'm not convinced that it's likely my wages are paid my faster payment? All of this was completely hypothetical as no one could discuss anything other than my own account.

Until the money is back with my employer they won't release it to my actual account (which is fair given that this is totally my error!). My employer is under the impression that it will probably be returned to them within 48 hours. I just wondered if anyone knew anything about this kind of situation regarding how long this is likely to take to get sorted? Obviously got things to pay for shortly so not likely the sound of "probably"!

As the account it's been sent to is invalid, is it likely to be put in a suspense account and require transferring or are they more likely to bounce it back? :|

Any help greatly appreciated!

I know someone that this kind of thing happened to - money paid into wrong account. It was rejected straight away and the returned the next working day. This was with Nationwide I think. I think in your case it should be back to your employer within 48 hours.

If not go into the branch and speak to the manager.

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)