• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help........!! Sigma claim form - and another M&S charge card converted to a CC.

Abby25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not a jot the longer the better me thinks.

I did notice on another thread though that they claimed the full amount so maybe they got wise and realised their error in claiming for only part.

Would like to do an application for a strike out in a couple of months but this might stir things up. No-one know what to do really.

It must be in our favour if nothing happens and then suddenly they stir. I am sure a judge would not be impressed by how long it has taken them.

HH

Hi HH .. great to hear from you.

Even if they claimed the full amount, our defence, of there being no executed agreement at all, and the prev court case (I know not binding) but surely relevant, should have any claim by them stopped once they get wind of the defence.

Surely they can't be this stupid to try and claim on cases where they have no legal grounds to do so i.e no agreement (not even improperly executed), but absolutely NO consumer credit agreement, which was reqd due to the complete change in nature of the account

.Anyhoo ...time will tell .... I was thinking of a strike out myself, but again leaving sleeping dogs lie is sometimes better and saves me a fee !

Abs xx

• 2 months later...

Hi all,Just a quick update, I have today recd from HL sols, a bundle of statements from when the chargecard was changed to a credit card.

It states, the statement of account was sent by M&S, and that they have advised HL that the dispute was resolved in 2010, the store card was changed to a credit card and it has been confirmed by them that the account is recoverable.

Followed by if you wish to discuss futher contact our collections team and a tele no.

No mention of the court submission for partial claim, which remains as defence submitted from Aug last yr - although hand written on one of the statements is part sue team .

Abs

Edited by Abby25

Hi Abby long time no hear. Personally put it with the rest, I got statements for my store card before they issued proceedings and M & S said "there youve had the money". I would ignore the statements, the solicitors have to lift the say and that will cost them. Just because they have sent you statements doesn't mean that the stay has been lifted. Lets see what happens. M & S don't own the debt anymore Sigma do and they have made a right pigs ear of proceedings. Do you honestly think that if they thought they stood a chance they would have lifted the stay back in August when we all defended. BTW my M & S balance was over £6000 and all they tried for was £299.

Hi HH,

Well my court claim is just showing as defence submitted, not stayed, and this was last August.

I was going to reply, and again ask for a copy of the CCA for the credit card, and see what their response is.

Abs

I rang court today and the lady told me after defence they have 33 days to respond. As they had not, the case was stayed and for them to reapply, they would have to put it in front of a district judge.

It might be worth giving the court a quick call.

Ooh ... thanks Marshmellow ....

And hence why statements have now arrived, with contact us to arrange payment.

I didn't know about the 33 day timeframe, as this is my first creditor/assignee to attempt to go the court route, and so I have little experience on the formalities ..... many thanks for taking the time to post up on this

Abs xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had last July (like lots of peeps) a court claim for part costs, re an old M&S credit card (unlawfully transferred from store to credit).

Anyhoo, submitted my defence within the 14 day period, which was acknowledged by the court, awaiting response of the petitioner. They never responded, have never written regarding this, and its all gone quiet.

I was advised that as they didn't petition for possession within 3 mths, that the claim is stayed.

I'm not sure what this actually means .... is the SB clock still ticking down ?

Can this be reinstigated at any point ?

Whats the likely hood (from peeps experience of stayed claims) of they trying to breathe life into this again ?

Sorry if they are simple qs for those in the know, but from someone who has no experience of court procedures any help is welcomed !!!

Thanks guys

Abs xxxx

Why is the SB clock suspended if the claim is stayed and there is no judgement or acknowledgement of debt ? ........................ Also, to repeat the q what does stayed actually mean with regards the claim and the process ?

SB stops ticking as soon as the claim form is issued. The requirement is that creditors must start litigation before the end of six years. In theory, if the claim was never formally dismissed and the stay was lifted in ten years time then the debt would not be SB because it is still the same litigation. However, if they tried to start a new claim after six years then that second claim would be out of time.

A claim which is "stayed" is effectively placed on hold. It can be reinstated. Difficult to say what they chances are of that happening. At some point you may wish for the claim to be formally dismissed (if you are near SB, perhaps wait until it is SB then try to have it dismissed?).

Are you in England/Wales or Scotland - this is important as the procedures are different? Some of the legal terms you are using makes it sound like Scotland?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi,

Thanks for that .... I am in England, and the claim was a part claim by Sigma for interest since their ownership (of which there were a load isued last yr, and which there were various threads in which we all defended - matter ws M&S card tsfd from store card to credit card with no new CCA). Anyhoo, after the defence in August, there has be nothing from the claimant.

What would be your suggestion with this - aim for a strike out (I think I remember reading someone was going for a SO on abuse of court process). If so, how would I go about that, from memory I think there are costs associated with a SO application too ? (or maybe I'm mis-remembering !!)

Any help gladly received.

Abs

While the claim is stayed, the claimant will have to apply to the court to reinstate the claim. You can apply to have the claim thrown out but this is what i would do

let them reinstate the claim, as its a split claim, accept a ccj judgement, pay it within 28 days, then its over. The claimant cant come after you for the balance as estoppel will apply

but that me and wait for more comments though and get legal advice first

Hi, thanks for tha .... But surely paying the part claim, even if it reaches CCJ stage, acknowledges the debt, as the claim is in relation to interest on the defaulted debt ?

there are things called civil procedure rules. They are a set of rules in the way litigation is conducted.

if a claim is put before the court, all aspects of that claim have to be addressed. have you heard of the phrase double jepordy.

if a claim is put before the court and aspects of that claim has already been decided before a judge, and a judge has decided on that issue, a legal term of estoppel or Res judicata comes into play

you are going to acknowledge the debt, but the claim is just for the solicitors costs which are linked to a secondary cause of action. Pay those costs within 28 days of judgement, and the original debt will be history as no claim can be put before the court in relation to that debt

in a nutshell

its an abuse of process

it is unlawful under section 35 County Courts Act 1984 to split one claim into smaller claims.

Hmm. This is a difficult one. On one hand applying for a strike-out would be "poking the beast" and perhaps encourage them to revive the claim. On the other hand I doubt they would even respond and it is better to fight when they are not ready for it.

Personally I would seize the initiative and apply for a strike-out. Perhaps also ask for costs... you could ask the court to summarily assess your costs as a litigant in person at something like £200... if you want to do this have a read of the sticky and attach a costs schedule explaining the time you spent on the case, the rate is £18 an hour.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Have rang the courts re Sigma falling off the face of the earth when they recd my defence.

The clerk advised that the claim is stayed, and that Sigma would need to make representation to the judge if they wanted it re-instigated - fee payable

She advised that if I wanted to close it off, I should contact them to request for them to discoutinue the claim OR I could apporach the court and request a strike out - fee payable.

Any comments or tips ? Anyone one else had their claim discontinued or sucessfully had it stuck out ?

All help and advice welcome amigos !!

Abs x

• 6 months later...

Hi Maurenn1 has an issue with a M&S claim for full payment from ARROW (this is the store card changed to credit card), I've got her to AOS, but she needs some help with her defence .... and I can't find the Legal Forum to direct her to .. has it moved ?